Carrot - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Question Carrot

Anyone's bunny HATE carrots? I thought carrots were their favorite
My bun loves leaf lettuce, plum, banana but refuses to even try a carrot- he nudges/pushes it away

What are some other greens that your bunny loves?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 10:14 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

My buns don't hate carrots. I buy the small baby carrots in the bag. Although I did just give them a baby carrot last night with their salads as we were going to see a movie. I told them that I would give them blueberries when we got home. I was surprised to see that Ollie and Ophelia left a piece of one of their two carrots, Penelope left a piece and Teddy left the entire carrot except one bite. I think it was because they were not that fresh and that they were spoiled with the blueberries or peaches or nectarines they have been having lately.
My buns love brocolli rabe, red lead, green leaf, romaine, kale, parsley, spring mix, spinach (not too much), brocolli, cauliflower, green pepper, red pepper, orange pepper, yellow pepper, tomatoes (grape), basil...
The house rabbit society has a great list. Their site is www.rabbit.org - I looked around the internet and compiled all the lists I found and then took that to my vet and had him review it. He said when adding any fruit or veggie to a buns diet only give them a bit of it to make sure they can tolerate it. I recently found out that cilantro gives Penelope poopy butt. I never buy it because I don't care for the smell but I got it confused with flat parsley and brought it home. The next day Penelope had poopy butt and I knew it was not flat parsley!
My buns were not crazy about the last batch of strawberries I bought them. They weren't that tasty I suppose. Maybe you should try one of the carrots and see if they are funny tasting. I'll often do that if I worry that something is turning bad - usually it's just fine and I am being a bit over protective - but I would rather try it myself than feed something bad to my buns. I am much easier to make better than they are!

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 12:21 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

My rabbit that my daughter named "Peaches" hates fruit!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 02:42 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

try mustard, collard, and turnip greens they are really healthy and most love em.

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 07:02 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

The carrots were baby carrots - very sweet, I did taste them.

I was trying to be picky in picking veg. because some vegs cause stomach gas. Can we give buns tomato. Will the seeds hurt them?

Ha! moonchild, guess our buns sure have unique tastes

Thanks for the information and comments

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 09:42 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

I have read both sides of the tomato debate. Some say that tomatoes are a no no and others say ok. I only give them cherry or grape tomatoes - not that there may be any difference. My vet ok'd them so I felt comfortable, check with your vet for his/her opinion. And yes - you must watch the gassy veggies. I only give them brocolli and cauliflower from time to time and not too much at once.
I can't believe that Peaches doesn't like peaches!
All of my buns definitely have a sweet tooth. Tonight they had pieces of nectarine and a blackberry. Oh watch the blackberries! They should be consumed over a plate or napkin - they are rather messy - so are nectarines but at least their juice is a light color.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 09:51 PM
Betta Bomb

Akina loves carrot! When I make the pieces big she gets her massive dewlap all stained!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 10:35 PM

Ryo's fav is parsley! She also likes any fruit that i give her.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathydip View Post
I have read both sides of the tomato debate. Some say that tomatoes are a no no and others say ok. I only give them cherry or grape tomatoes - not that there may be any difference. My vet ok'd them so I felt comfortable, check with your vet for his/her opinion. And yes - you must watch the gassy veggies. I only give them brocolli and cauliflower from time to time and not too much at once.
I can't believe that Peaches doesn't like peaches!
All of my buns definitely have a sweet tooth. Tonight they had pieces of nectarine and a blackberry. Oh watch the blackberries! They should be consumed over a plate or napkin - they are rather messy - so are nectarines but at least their juice is a light color.
I read pro/con on tomatoes too. Guess he won't get any since it could be bad for him. I never thought of the fruits being messy - I'll be careful

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 07:43 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratty_ratkins View Post
Ryo's fav is parsley! She also likes any fruit that i give her.
Thanks, I'll try the parsley

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 12:24 PM
Adolescent Pup

My bunny got tired of carrots at one point because I used to give them to him everyday. But now I use them as a treat, and he goes nuts when I give him one!
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 02:03 PM
is a little "special"

Smudge will eat ANYTHING.
He loves carrots, parsley, romain lettuce, collard greens, kale, strawberrys, apples, and grapes!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 08:34 PM
Adolescent Pup

Mine are new so they haven't tried much yet, but so far Oreo will eat carrots, lettuce and watermelon and Coco won't touch any of them.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 10:19 PM
can't think of one, help

Littlebunny Boy doesn't care for carrots either. He'd much rather have the green veggies. I've stopped getting carrots for him because he never did much except maybe one bite and I ended up tossing them. Green peppers are one of his fav's, and broccoli etc.

Vicki

Rainbow, Abbles, Carmy, Kissy, Peaches, Cream, (kitties) and Littlebunny boy (elder bunny)

the pic is the last one of my meecee kitty (5/9/89 - 1/9/08)