"Carts" For Bunnies? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

"Carts" For Bunnies?

Hey Everyone,

I'm looking to see if anyone has experiance with disabled rabbits who use a cart to get around.

I have a foster rabbit with a Spinal injury, and though she is not in pain, and has some mobility in her legs, she cannot get around to well.
I'm trying to see what options she has out there to help her become better moble.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 09:43 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

I haven't had any experience with a cart bunny but I know I read something somewhere about it.
Good luck with your sweet little bunny! I think the most important thing is to make sure she is kept clean.
Bunnies with special needs are one of the bestest kinds of bunnies!

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, I'm so afraid of her getting urine scald.
I'm looking into getting a round kiddy pool that i can put shavings in for her, this way there are no corners for her to get stuck in, and no litter box for her to try and get into, as I even made a ramp into a small wire bottomed cage (as the vet recommended) for her to use as a litter area, but she just is not able to pull herself up the very small ramp. The incline is maybe 2cm to the top.

My Aunt has a buggy that her dachshund had when he was paralyzed in his back end (2 years later he walks again!), she's offered it to me and I'm going to see if we can build one for Ebony.
Eb has 14 days to see if we can get her back to her old self (she was still handicap, but was more mobile).

She's such a sweet bunny and has so much life in her, through all this she still eats and is her old self, but she just gets frustrated when she can't move where she wants to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 05:16 PM

It must be frustrating for her. But it is nice to hear that she is still a happy bunny. I do believe they can live very happily despite being so disabled.
As for the urine scold just keep her clean and keep moving her so she is always dry. Our family cat, Boo, that my dad had custody of leaked for at least the last year of his life. He could get up and move but he would fall asleep and urinate. So they used puppy piddle pads under him. They changed them often and bathed him every other day. Unfortunately not that long ago my dad was forced to say goodbye. But he had other issues as well and the vet was surprised that he lived as long as he did with how bad his blood work came back. If only the urinating was the worst of his problems.

I would say as long as she is eating and happy to not do anything. That is how I handled it with Tabby. Trust me you will know when it's time. Ebony will let you know.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

Jenn, thanks for the links!
I washed Ebonies bum tonight, she wasn't to happy about that. But it was wet with urine when i got home.
I bought 'puppy pads', and put them where she is peeing right now.
So far my plan is to get a kiddy pool, place the bottom with newspaper then that fake sheep skin stuff to place overtop.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 09:14 PM

Tabby could move but lost control and pee'd and poo'd everywhere. I got a full sheet of coroplast and turned up the edges. She couldn't get over them. And then I bought bath sheets from Walmart and Kmart. I lined the bottom of the "cage" with those. I changed them twice a day. I washed them in hot water with white vinager. It smelled while I was washing them but they didn't smell when they were done.
I like the idea of the kiddie pool better though. The edges of the coroplast container could leak.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

Ebony is on 'puppy pads' right now. Untill i can figure everything out. She can't get into a litter box, so she just pees where she is
What did you do for Tabby to keep her free of wetness?
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 10:09 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

When my bunny was sick I used synthetic sheepskin blanket. You can find them at the petstore
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

I'm trying to find that at a fabric store so i can get a few large pieces.
It seems to be the only thing that works so far I've read.

Poor Ebony, she had a butt bath again yesterday, as she was soaked in urine
I'm doing the shopping for the fake sheep skin, and a kiddie wading pool tonight.
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 01:28 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I've tried to find it in fabric stores without any success. I just ended up buying the ones at the pet store which were expensive. Also my vet told me to use baby powder on her butt when it's wet. I also cut her butt fur so it wouldn't get soaked

Good luck with all that, I've been thru it and it was a tough time.
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 02:31 PM

Tabby could get around she just couldn't get in and out of the litter box. She just would go where she was but she had the option of moving out of the wet spot. Her problem was more that poo got stuck to her bum and I had to wash her. Sometimes she would be damp from urine but never wet. I would give her bunny butt bathes. I just used the large towels in her enclosure and kept her on those. I would change them twice a day.
How are Ebony's spirits? I still say that Tabby was the friendliest and possibly the happiest of all of them. She just lite up when she saw you. I could always tell she was happy. As long as she was happy nothing else mattered.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

I've noticed Ebony's poops have gotten small, but she's still eating normally. She's still a happy bunny, and her characteristics have not changed.
So far none of the fabric stores have the fake sheep skin, so it looks like i'm going to have to buy the dog pillows, that are like $60 and not as big as I want
back to the drawing board.
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 05:34 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaS15
I've noticed Ebony's poops have gotten small, but she's still eating normally. She's still a happy bunny, and her characteristics have not changed.
So far none of the fabric stores have the fake sheep skin, so it looks like i'm going to have to buy the dog pillows, that are like $60 and not as big as I want
back to the drawing board.
Pillow??? I don't know about the stores up in BC but down here you have the blankets that you can put at the bottom of a carrier, in the car etc...The pillow will be hard to clean

The poop being smaller is normal. Mine passed a big gooey mass at one point, I mean it was huge and soft. That was weird but the vet told me that was all normal

Keep us updated
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-02-2007, 06:37 PM
Paw Talk's prodicle son .

Enter Toky-Ohki stage left.

= ^ _ ^ =

Exhibit A

v

Wooley the bunny from Godalming Nr Guildford , Surrey , UK

----------------------------------------

These Carts are around and it's just a matter of getting hold of one

WOOLEY

---------------------------------------

WHITESTAR

And my version = ^ - ^ = Whitestar , a reincarnation of a disabled white rabbit that was mercilessly told by the vet that he would have no quality of life and was subsequently put down.

A decision that was unfounded , see above Wooley.

Disabled rabbits have a right to live !!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* sings *

He's in the Jailhouse now , he's in the Jailhouse now , well I told him once or twice .

To stop chewing wood and Pooping nice , he's in the jailhouse now.

Tags
litter box, pet store, vet visit, vet visits