cats && bunns. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

cats && bunns.

do rabbits and kittens get along? if they are slowly introduced, will they play together?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 03:37 PM
Hello Earthling

I would not let cats/kittens play with the rabbit. Even if you have the sweetest cat/kitten cats have a bacteria in their mouth that can be lethal to the rabbit, and the rabbit could injure the kitten with its feet.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 04:44 PM
is a little "special"

Ive heard of them getting along, but personally I wouldnt let them play together. Like Canadiancritter said, cat bites and scratches can give rabbits (and people!) some prett nasty infections.
They could accidentally hurt eachother too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 11:36 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I have a friend with a house rabbit and a cat. She ended up getting her cat declawed because she was worried about her cat being around her rabbit.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 10:24 AM
Hello Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonchild View Post
I have a friend with a house rabbit and a cat. She ended up getting her cat declawed because she was worried about her cat being around her rabbit.
I would never get a cat declawed (which is extremely cruel) just so the rabbit to have free range. A smarter thing to do would be to keep them separate, give the bunny its own bunny proofed room

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 12:39 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Not everyone has a big enough place that they can give a rabbit it's own room. I don't care for the idea of declawing cats either, but if I had to make a choice between getting rid of my rabbits or getting rid of my cat, I would consider declawing my cat. There are new procedures now where they use a laser, and it is not nearly so bad. I have two cats, one is fine with it's claws, and one destroys everything he can with his claws. I can't even open up windows because he destroys the screens. I see declawing as a last resort, but I would not rule it out. I gave my kid's grandpa a cat I got from the shelter that was already declawed. I don't know what it was like for the cat to have the procedure done, but he has no problems now and is fine without his front claws.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 02:16 PM
is a little "special"

If your worried about cats claws, why not just get Soft Paws (rubber thingys that go over their claws), or trim their nails? Ive heard that declawing can cause behavioral problems too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 02:23 PM
Hello Earthling

Exactly what Jess said Soft Paws and trimjng their tails is a better option then basicaly cutting offthe tip of their toes.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 02:35 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Possibly if you had the softpaws on then the cat couldn't give dangerous scratches to the bunnies right?? Then would they be able to go together?

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 02:41 PM
is a little "special"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrWoodyspets View Post
Possibly if you had the softpaws on then the cat couldn't give dangerous scratches to the bunnies right?? Then would they be able to go together?

Nope... they still have teeth!
Maybe they should make "Soft mouths" next, LOL

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 02:47 PM
Hello Earthling

Personally to me its best not to let cats play with small animals that are 'prey' to them. Even if they are really gental cats sometimes forget that they shouldn't use their claws or teeth.

And sorry we hijacked the thread

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 10:43 PM
Betta Bomb

Its highly risky! Illusion likes to play with bunnies but I find he only does it when Im around because it ensure attention to him when I come afer him.. Trust me the cat is strange!
Ok, so cover the nails on the cat or get it as a kitten and teach it not behave around the bunny. Akina absolutly loves when Loosh gets into her pen and once she even made him a fur nest-I has the pics and a vid on my phone but unsure if it will let me transfer since the deal is cancelled on my phone..