Caught a couple of baby bunnies - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Caught a couple of baby bunnies

Hi, being a member here, and coming here on and off to ask certain questions, I thought I'd share this story. So here goes.

I used to have a rabbit when I lived in Missoula MT 4 years ago. It wasn't the best idea because he destroyed a lot of my cords and chewed up the carpet pretty badly. I would say he even devalued the house. At times I was a little too hard on the poor guy when I caught him doing things he wasn't supposed to. In the end I decided a rabbit wasn't the best pet for me. My folks were gonna head to Thailand and I was going to move, so I decided he should have a home.

When I moved to Denver I gave him to a shelter called "Dumb Friends League." They don't kill the animals there so I felt good that that he had a chance to go to a new home. Over the years I loved rabbits and always wanted one, but I didn't get one because the truth is I was never up for the responsibility. So eventually I lost interest in them for the most part.

Later I moved back to Missoula to be closer to my friends(who weren't friends at all), and thought if I tried hard enough I could find some work there. That unfortunately didn't work out too well.
Then I headed to Billings because my Grandpa was dying after he had fallen. Unfortunately he passed away the next day. My mom came back from Thailand for the funeral, and we ended up staying in his house. I lived here for a year, have had a total of 5 cats, 3 of them disappeared and never came back when I let them out(3 different times). That's when I decided to keep the 2 I have now in the house. That's a different story though.

In this neighborhood there are a lot of wild rabbits. I was told many years ago someone released a couple of pet rabbits and since then they started breeding and reproducing. Some neighbors have had issues with them. Some didn't care that much. I know one who feeds them, so a lot of them hang out at his house.

I've been staying in the basement and yesterday I woke up in the morning to find a baby white rabbit scratching at my window. I opened it up and grabbed it. It did struggle but calmed down pretty quickly. I decided to let it go back outside. Later that day my mom accidentally sprayed that same bunny with a water hose and completely soaked it. She said “This bunny doesn't have a mom, you should catch it.” So I found it hanging out behind a brick next to the house. I managed to grab it, and it struggled at first and even growled at me. But again I got it calm, and brought it in the house and put it in the cat carrier. I gave it some water and celery.

Then I saw another baby white bunny hopping around in my backyard. So I went after it, thinking the one I caught shouldn't be alone. I found it hiding underneath the broken stove, so I carefully grabbed it, and it tried pretty hard to get away. I might have been too rough because it did start squealing, but once I got a hold of it it calmed down. So I put that one in the same carrier, and they seem to have been happy together. They're definitely litter mates. I also let them run around in the bathroom for a bit so they wouldn't have to be trapped in the carrier.

You might find this part of the story a little upsetting and disturbing.

I saw a 3rd white baby bunny hopping around in the backyard. I went after it, but it hid behind the shed. I decided not to make much of an effort of catching it. Then I saw next to the tree what looked like a couple of paws. I was pretty sure my mind was playing tricks on me because all I thought of that day were bunnies. Unfortunately when I walked over I saw the back feet and tail of another baby rabbit. It looked like the other half of it was buried in the ground. As if it was trying to burrow and then died that way. But I moved it with my foot and all it was was half of a rabbit. That was kind of freaky. I got a shopping bag and picked it up, and put it in the outside garbage can. I certainly didn't want to look at that in my back yard. My only guess is something ate the rabbit. An owl, or a hawk, or maybe even a cat. But as I mentioned all my cats disappeared, and there are no cats running around this neighborhood. There was also a full grown dead rabbit next to the garbage a few days ago. I'm guessing that was the mother. So I pretty much have a good idea of what happened. 4 of them were born, they lost there mother, one of them was eaten, I ended up with two of them, and one is still out there. I haven't seen him lately so I'm guessing it moved on.

Right now I have two of the babies with me. I set up a little area downstairs where they can run around. I won't let my cats near them. I did introduce them, but I don't trust them near the bunnies. I actually consider the bunnies tame. I've been able to pick each of them up and hold them, and pet them. They don't really try to run away when I go over to them. I've even had one of them come over to me. I haven't been too sure if I should keep them as pets, because like I explained earlier I'm not really up for that kind of responsibility. But I'll definitely hold onto them and see if I can find a way to take care of them without caging them the whole time, and keeping them separate from my cats. I might try to find them a home, give them to someone who loves rabbits as pets. They're both very cute, and nice bunnies for the most part. They're a little skittish when I pick them up but I expect most rabbits are like that, even the tamest ones. So that's basically where I'm at right now. I don't know what gender they are because they're still very young. But I should be able to find out when they get older.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 07:17 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Um I think if you keep two of them you should definitely try to find the other. I just can't imagine him all alone, not knowing where his surviving siblings are.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Yeah it's been bugging me quite a bit actually. I'll try to look around again. Haven't seen a sign of it today. I figure getting the one outside won't hurt any. That way they can all be together again.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 07:39 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Yeah I think under the circumstances it is okay to take care of them, I didn't want to seem rude in the other post I made I wouldn't want anyone to take rabbits from the wild though. Please post pictures soon!

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 07:40 PM
User Is No Longer Welcome

I agree, I'd try to find the last baby. Are you sure there was 4 babies? I hope its not dead... I can't believe people would be so irresponsible to release pet rabbits into the wild!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 08:34 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

I was worried they were wild buns when I read the title. Poor little things - being white they are such easy prey for hawks, owls, cats - whatever...
Please don't give them celery though - it's too high in water and can give them diarrehea. Besides there is no real nutritional value in it. Also being tiny babies they probably are not old enough for veggies yet. Get them some alfalfa hay and pellets. Bunnies always need plenty of hay babies need alfafa. Bunnies guts need to constantly move and that is why they should have more hay than they can eat at all times. Alfafa hay should be very easy to find at walmart or target or petsmart. If you get them pellets don't get them the kind that has seeds and such in it. Buns should not eat that crap. Avoid anything that has brightly colored pieces as well. Basically anything that looks like kids cereal is not a good choice. There are a few good brands but Oxbow is a favorite of a lot of bun owners although it is not sold at all the chain pet stores - I have found it a small locally owned pet stores. Call a local rabbit rescue to see if they can take them or give you more advice on how to handle them. Buns are so very sensitive to stress. They can actually die from stress. Also, baby buns often have to establish the good bacteria in their gut - it this does not happen again they could die. I don't want to scare you - I know when I first started researching bunnies I was scared to death of hurting my bun. Some buns (like people) are more delicate than others.
Good luck and please post pictures.
Oh and check out the house rabbit society site. www.rabbit.org it's a great site where you can find a lot of information.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Hiya. just got back from my first day of work, so I'm completely beat. I thought I'd post a little update with some pics. The bunnies are doing fine. They managed to jump on top of the chest and jump into the bathroom and escape. One fell and got trapped in the wall. But I used a small box and hooked it with some bungee cord and put some food inside. I lowered the box down in the wall, let the bunny crawl in and then I pulled the box up. The other one was by the washing machine, and came out of hiding when I walked in. So I'll have to secure the area better. Other than that. They're doing great. Here are some pics. http://kefka.gotdns.org:8080/Public/...hite%20Babies/

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 05:29 PM
Part of the Pack

Oh sweety, I dont think these are wild. They were born outside but I really think that the Mom was a house rabbit or a meat rabbit!
They look too compact to be something in the wild and the flat faces make me think of a meat rabbit breed.

They look like a mix of a house rabbit, how big was the older rabbit?

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 05:30 PM

Aww they are cute! Glad you got the one out of the wall safely. lol.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokuza View Post
Oh sweety, I dont think these are wild. They were born outside but I really think that the Mom was a house rabbit or a meat rabbit!
They look too compact to be something in the wild and the flat faces make me think of a meat rabbit breed.

They look like a mix of a house rabbit, how big was the older rabbit?
They said in their first post that someone let a pet rabbit go wild and now there's babies in the neighborhood.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 05:35 PM
Part of the Pack

Mm yeah but im trying to figure out what breed they are. So we know how big they will get.

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 06:38 PM

Looks like it might be a Netherland Dwarf to me.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

It was years since someone released the rabbits. Probably 10-20 years. I called them wild because they live in the neighborhood but they don't know the humans very well. Although this winter I actually walked up to one and it didn't even run away. So I assume they're not afraid but they don't know people very well.
The dead rabbit was a cotton tail, but I'm guessing it might have been the mother, Assuming the father was white.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 06:10 AM
Rodentologist

They won't breed with the local wild rabbits, they're different species and can't crossbreed.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 07:02 AM
Adolescent Pup

They're so cute! My bunny is white too with a little grey on him, but he's got dark eyes. Kudos to you for rescuing the little darlings.