Cause for concern? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-14-2004, 01:33 AM Thread Starter

Cause for concern?

My rabbits poo is jet black!! It used to be brown...is something wrong???

The only change in diet was going back to the Kaytee pellets because he wasnt eating the oxbow...I think maybe I should stop the Kaytee all together! Can he get all the nutrition he needs from fresh veggies and different types of hay? Or do I have to feed a pellet? He wont eat the oxbow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-14-2004, 01:46 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

It's probably just the diet change....if they are still the same texture (ie. no diarrhoea) I wouldn't worry too much. Someone else may have a different idea but I haven't heard of a black poo meaning anything serious. I have always read and fed my rabbits a mixed pellet diet with veggies and hay. I'm not sure what the go would be on not feeding your rabbit any.

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-14-2004, 03:32 AM

Um, you know, I've never heard any cause for concern over brown or black poos... Those are slightly more natural colours than, say... green.

Just watch that they're still the same consistency like RSbunny suggested. Rabbits tend to have finicky digestive systems, so that is most likely the cause
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-14-2004, 08:52 AM

Cheetara03, my bunny too has black poos!? Their hard and blackish. He's been having them for a while. I also was wondering if that is normal??!! Give your bun time to make a food change. At least 1 month. He is used to the protein in the Kaytee so it's normal that he refuses to eat the good stuff. Just give it time, 1 month. Pellets isnt the bulk of a rabbits diet so it's less concern there, but Katee is not good pellets for a rabbit house pet. Those are more for breeding and meat rabbits. I give my bunny: oat hay, brome hay, Timothy hay, Orchard hay, Bermuda hay, mixes oat/wheat/barley and oat/wheat/rye and his favourite mixed hay. So he has a lot of choice! And that is a good thing for your bunny. Get him different hays. With oat hay, your bun's poos will be bigger and browner..... As for veggies, if your bun has 3 different veggies per day with one being high in vit A, he is fine. When I go at the grocery store I get 3 veggies it last me about 1 week so my bun has different ones every week. For treats, keep it REAL SMALL no more than once a day. BTW what Oxbow pellets are you giving your bun. If you are giving the Timothy based pellets, that's a HUGE change from your katee. Maybe you should go for the Oxbow alfalfa based pellets first (change over 1 month from your Kaytee) and when he's eating the Oxbow alfalfa based pellets, change over the Timothy based pellets (again, change over 1 month). I think that would be the best thing to do.

Last edited by Sandra; 11-14-2004 at 09:03 AM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-14-2004, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Thanks so much!! Ill keep you posted!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-25-2004, 08:56 AM

I was wondering what fruits are you giving your bun and how much of it per day? I stopped with the fruits because his poopping wasnt getting any better. After 2 days he is back to brownish poops and a more normal size!!!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-25-2004, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

I stopped fruits as well. I am only going to give that to him once in a blue moon because my rabbit is getting SO FAT!!!!!! Its those [email protected] alfalfa Kaytee pellets, I know it. Every time I try and take them away from him he goes nuts! He will bite on the cage and make noise all night, but as soon as I give them back he shuts up. I even tried giving him the oxbow pellets, but he dumps the bowl!

Sorry....got sidetracked....but to answer the question....no I am not giving fruits as often anymore. I give him a cup of veggies in the morning and night, pellets, hay and water.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-25-2004, 10:30 AM

That's good! Is your bunny having brown poop yet? Mines is starting to. So bye bye fruits and like yours, my bun will get them only once in a bluemoon. I suggest you making a 3 month change for getting to the Timothy Oxbow pellets. Use the first month to go over the Oxbow Alfalfa. First of all dont give more than 1/4 cup pellets a day since those are really fatning. So first week would be 1/8 cup of oxbow / 7/8 of kaytee; 2nd week 2/8 oxbow / 6/8 kaytee; 3rd week 4/8 oxbo / 4/8 kaytee 4rth week 7/8 oxbow and 1/8 kaytee. He might trie to resist the first few days but let him get his frustrations out, he will end up eating. If he throws his bowl just leave it there until next day you give him pellets. When you've done the change to the Alfalfa Oxbow pellets keep it for one month. After that you can start another change for the Tim Oxbow pellets. Same measures as you did for changing to Alfalfa. Try it. If your rabbit knows that he will get his way, he will keep on doing what hes doing with Oxbow. My bunny got mad because I left only Timothy hay in his cage so his poops could improve...I let him get mad and after a couple of days he start eating the Tim Hay!! Let me know how it goes.

Last edited by Sandra; 11-25-2004 at 10:35 AM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-25-2004, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Ill try it! The hardest part for me is going to be ignoring my bun when he is throwing a fit. Im such a spoiler!!!!

Ill keep you posted

No improvement in the stool yet, its still dark
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-25-2004, 11:14 AM

I figure that it'll take a few days depending on how far along the problem is. I know it'll be hard to ignore your buns fit but it's all for his own good so you can keep him from being sick and keep him a long long time!

Tags
oat hay, timothy hay