Chewing on his litter pan - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
Turbo's mommy.

Chewing on his litter pan

for the longest time turbo has been chewing something in his cage that i was unable to figure out. what a gross sound almost like he was popping through something ... well sure enough ... i found him chewing on his litter pan today and i can't get him to stop.

any suggestions: how to stop him? will it harm him? why does he chew it?

Turbo Bunny

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 09:37 AM
Rodentologist

He's probably extremely bored and hungry. Did you ever give him the correct type of hay?

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
Turbo's mommy.

yeah. he has timmothy. exactly what the pet store gave me. he has food i gave him a treat he has all the hay he could need he has toys in his cage and he never plays with them.

Turbo Bunny

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 09:42 AM
Rodentologist

What kinds of toys does he have?

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Turbo's mommy.

he has a blanket that covers his house that has a rattle in it. he has 3 little balls that have bells in them that he never plays with. he has a few little wooden toys that look like corn something green and a carrot.

Turbo Bunny

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 09:48 AM
Rodentologist

It sounds like he needs more bunny appropriate toys. Rattles and things like that aren't generally stuff that bunnies like. Cardboard boxes, grass mats, and organic baskets that they can chew on and destroy are much more fun for rabbits. Chewing is how they amuse themselves, and he doesn't have much to chew for fun.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator

Does he have other things to chew on? Wooden toys, untreated willow, apple branches, untreated rabbit safe wood...anything like that? My rabbits looooove to chew on unpeeled willow toys.

Also, do you give him time out of his cage to exercise and play? He should get at least a couple of hours of out of cages time a day to let him streach his legs and help keep him from getting bored.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
Turbo's mommy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonrain View Post
Does he have other things to chew on? Wooden toys, untreated willow, apple branches, untreated rabbit safe wood...anything like that? My rabbits looooove to chew on unpeeled willow toys.

Also, do you give him time out of his cage to exercise and play? He should get at least a couple of hours of out of cages time a day to let him streach his legs and help keep him from getting bored.
yes he has 3 rabbit safe wooden toys, they are untreated. he hates them, or at least he leads me to believe it. he gets 3 hours of floor time with 30 minute breaks to potty and get water or food or hay. thats normally from 12-3.

Turbo Bunny

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Turbo's mommy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennicat View Post
It sounds like he needs more bunny appropriate toys. Rattles and things like that aren't generally stuff that bunnies like. Cardboard boxes, grass mats, and organic baskets that they can chew on and destroy are much more fun for rabbits. Chewing is how they amuse themselves, and he doesn't have much to chew for fun.
where can i buy these baskets, he loved destroying my easter basket but where can i get one thats safe for him?

Turbo Bunny

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
Turbo's mommy.

is it SAFE for him to chew this litter pan or should i try to stop it.

Turbo Bunny

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 02:40 PM
Rodentologist

No, it's not ideal, he can ingest the plastic on the litterbox.

Many online places have bunny safe baskets and willow for sale. I like BinkyBunny:

www.binkybunny.com

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Turbo's mommy.

thank you soo much i'll buy some stuff now so it'll be in soon

Turbo Bunny

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 10:04 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

I gave Oliver a a heavy (for a bunny) piece of scrap wood my hubby had in his scrap pile. He likes to pick it up and drop it so it bangs on the floor. We can hear it when we are watching TV downstairs or when we are in bed at night.
They also like plastic cat toys they can pick up and throw. Teddy loves to use old blankies as his "burrow" and makes "tunnels" under them. I throw toys under them for him. We also have some cardboard tubes used for making cement pillars. They like to run through them.
I have various toys tied to the baby gate of Teddy's room. I used sisal rope or zip ties to attach a baby toy, wooden bunner toys, I have even shoved toilet paper rolls through it so he can tug on them.
Good luck!

Oh and you can try using ivory bar soap on the edges of the box to discourage the chewing. It needs to be reapplied often. I used to use it on the baseboards but gave up! The buns won - I (and the baseboards) lost.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Turbo's mommy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathydip View Post
I gave Oliver a a heavy (for a bunny) piece of scrap wood my hubby had in his scrap pile. He likes to pick it up and drop it so it bangs on the floor. We can hear it when we are watching TV downstairs or when we are in bed at night.
They also like plastic cat toys they can pick up and throw. Teddy loves to use old blankies as his "burrow" and makes "tunnels" under them. I throw toys under them for him. We also have some cardboard tubes used for making cement pillars. They like to run through them.
I have various toys tied to the baby gate of Teddy's room. I used sisal rope or zip ties to attach a baby toy, wooden bunner toys, I have even shoved toilet paper rolls through it so he can tug on them.
Good luck!

Oh and you can try using ivory bar soap on the edges of the box to discourage the chewing. It needs to be reapplied often. I used to use it on the baseboards but gave up! The buns won - I (and the baseboards) lost.
i would have never thought of ivory soap ...
and turbo has a peice of wood to play with he doesn't
he has cat toys called "midnight crazies" ... which is very ironic.
he liked the easter basket i had but i was afraid that the wood was treated so i didn't let him chew on it. it was an average colored basket from walmart. not really sure.

turbo isn't himself today though, he's tired. i assume its because of out late night playing and humidity and heat outside.

i'll let him rest and if it becomes a problem i think i'll have to take him to the vet

Turbo Bunny

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 04:51 PM
Part of the Pack

Yeah, be careful with that litter box chewing. My old bunny LOVED plastics and rubbers, but they can be pretty dangerous if they're ingested. Sometimes the plastics break down in their stomach and can release dangerous chemicals that stop everything from moving, which in turn creates a pretty crazy vet bill. Maybe you could have like a wooden corner box built? Or you could buy some Bitter Apple- its non toxic and its a spray, it smells and tastes terrible. We bought a bottle a couple years ago for my dog and its about 14.00 in canada but it goes a long way.

give your love no matter what.

Tags
chewing