child abuse awareness month - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-05-2007, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

child abuse awareness month

There is an animal hospital near where I live, that has formed a relationship with a battered women's shelter to help the women and children get their animals out of abusive homes. The people from the hospital foster the animals until the women can change their situations, and then the women and children can get their pets back. Since it is child abuse awareness month and their is a link between child abuse and animal abuse, I was wondering if their are other organizations helping abused women and children to keep their pets?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-05-2007, 02:45 PM

no offense, but i think this thread needs moved
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

No offense taken. I wil move it later. I hear so much about house rabbit organizations rescuing abused hutch rabbits, I was hoping to learn about how house rabbit organizations help rescue abused house rabbits.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 01:25 AM

that sounds like a nice guesture
there are far too many women who are rescued from thier abusive other just to go to another abuser... I feel for the kids but don't have alot of respect for women who let themselves be abused over and over and still keep the same pattern....... I would rather be dead than in fear of my life from a psycho manipulative wife beater.... let my husband try that he'll have to kill me if he wants to hurt me. cause homy dont play that *(if you know what I mean)
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonchild
No offense taken. I wil move it later. I hear so much about house rabbit organizations rescuing abused hutch rabbits, I was hoping to learn about how house rabbit organizations help rescue abused house rabbits.
ahh,i missed the rabbit association i thought you were only talking about the other abuse issue sorry my bad
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarita2004
ahh,i missed the rabbit association i thought you were only talking about the other abuse issue sorry my bad
I wasn't very clear about what information I was hoping to get. I guess I really didn't know how to ask for what I wanted. I'm sure other people felt the same way you did.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by mebri123
that sounds like a nice guesture
there are far too many women who are rescued from thier abusive other just to go to another abuser... I feel for the kids but don't have alot of respect for women who let themselves be abused over and over and still keep the same pattern....... I would rather be dead than in fear of my life from a psycho manipulative wife beater.... let my husband try that he'll have to kill me if he wants to hurt me. cause homy dont play that *(if you know what I mean)
I'm sure it is a psychological problem. Children who grow up being abused, marry in the same situation because they feel they don't deserve to be treated well. It is the values they were raised with. For them to become mentally healthy, something needs to change in their situation to help them believe they deserve better. It is a complicated situation, but to be able to "walk around in another person's shoes," you really need to take off your own shoes first. It is a difficult thing for most of us to understand because we weren't raised that way.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 11:39 AM
私は靖巣あなたを愛してI ♥ Yasuki

WOW, I hope that continues b/c there should be a way to get help also for the animals living there or they would be put into the SPCA or other wise in a abusive home. I think it makes a mother and child's reason to leave more sure as they have the choice to take the pets with them. I am sure a lot of people wont leave until they can take their pets also b/c it is a member of their family.

// k a t ((d)) 猫ちゃん ☆~(ゝ。∂)
私は武井靖巣あなたをして

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 01:34 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeishaGirl
I think it makes a mother and child's reason to leave more sure as they have the choice to take the pets with them. I am sure a lot of people wont leave until they can take their pets also b/c it is a member of their family.
How right you are! Approximatly half of women with a history of being abused by a partner have also seen their companion animals threatened, hurt, or killed by their abuser. Many women delay seeking shelter for fear that their pets will be hurt or killed! For more information, check out American Humane: American Humane: Protecting Children and Animals Since 1877
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 08:09 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

I stayed with my mother longer than I would have because of my dogs. She was not physically abusive but we fought horribly. She was in a bad place and took things out on me. I knew i could not move in with my dad with the dogs (or at least I didn't think I could). Once she forced me to rehome them I didn't stay with her long. She used my pets as a control over me. I just don't think she realized she did it. Or maybe she did but didn't think I could move into my dads with my 4 cats since my dad already had three. Well I did. It was the BEST thing. I still miss my cockers. I keep in touch with the woman that rehomed them for me. Unfortunately, it was a closed adoption so I cannot communicate directly with their new mom. But at least I know they are safe and well cared for. It was the hardest thing I ever did. I would never let anyone force me into that again.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 01:51 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Kathydip, I'm sure there are plenty of people with experences like yours. Thanks for sharing your story. I heard of one case where a man was sexually abusing his daughter. He always made sure she had a dog, and if she refused him, he would torture her dog. Not only is this a sad situation for the girl, but animals such as hers almost never make it to a shelter.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 11:42 AM
Will It Ever Change?

you know....i've never heard of that foster help before. it's a fantastic idea! one i'd love to have started here!

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Thanks Mulder. I hope the word gets out. I think a lot of attention was brought to the need for animal foster care when huricane Katrina hit and people couldn't bring their animals to the shelters. The same thing has been happening in this country for a long time with battered women not being able to bring their animals to battered women's shelters.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathydip
I stayed with my mother longer than I would have because of my dogs. She was not physically abusive but we fought horribly. She was in a bad place and took things out on me. I knew i could not move in with my dad with the dogs (or at least I didn't think I could). Once she forced me to rehome them I didn't stay with her long. She used my pets as a control over me. I just don't think she realized she did it. Or maybe she did but didn't think I could move into my dads with my 4 cats since my dad already had three. Well I did. It was the BEST thing. I still miss my cockers. I keep in touch with the woman that rehomed them for me. Unfortunately, it was a closed adoption so I cannot communicate directly with their new mom. But at least I know they are safe and well cared for. It was the hardest thing I ever did. I would never let anyone force me into that again.
sorry your mom was a ho
I had a great mom so i can't complain
never met my dad though
he gave up all rights when i was 4

Tags
animal abuse, animal hospital, companion animals, house rabbit, house rabbits