Choosing a Rabbit - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Question Choosing a Rabbit

I'm sort of worried. I've had two rabbits a while ago, a boy and a girl, separately of course. And i'm getting a new one today, and i can't decide whether to get a girl or boy. i dont plan on getting it spayed or neutered, since around here it's $450 and up, i called everywhere. I know unneuterd males mark with urine, and that unspayed females can get territorial. i've had a boy before, mini rex, and he was an absolute sweetheart. although, the girl was extremely territorial. she was a himalayan colored netherland dwarf (which are known to have tempers.) i had adopted her. i cant decide, i just want to make sure i dont have a bad experience with girls again. any advice? i like holland lops. i dont know if they get as territorial or not. just worried. though i'd ask.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 12:29 PM
is a little "special"

I would definatly reccomend getting your rabbits fixed, but if you cant you should be prepared for some VERY hormonal buns. As for gender, you should get a male, because un-spayed females have an 85% change of getting reproductive cancer and dying by the time they are about 4 or 5 years old. Males can still get reproductive cancer, but it isnt as common as it is with females. I just got my rabbit fixed in June, and Id hade him for 5 1/2 years before that. He was never territorial, and he was the sweetest bun you will ever meet, but the marking and humping just drove my crazy! You can have a happy, nice rabbit with out getting him fixed, but you should prepare for the challenges that come with having an intact bunny.

But IMO the best option would be to adopt an already-fixed rabbit from a shelter or rescue organization! For about $50-$100 (on average) you can adopt a bunny of whatever gender you want that is already spayed or neutered, and then you wont have to spend over $450 on getting it fixed. They are already mature too, so they will generally be calmer and a little less destructive than a baby bunny.

Good luck with your rabbit!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."