to chop or not to chop, that is my question. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

to chop or not to chop, that is my question.

Hi all. I have two male mini lops (or dwarf lops, cant remember), that Ive had for about six months or so. Id say theyve stopped growing, and I havent yet had them neutered... They live outside, but are allowed inside whenever Im home, and they verrrrrry occasionally get relegated to a hutch (as in, not for the last few months).
Aside from the occasional humping episode and powerplays over food, they get on pretty well. The more dominant one, Esteban, can be a bit mean to Phil Collins sometimes, but they always go back to being friends; hopping around together, cleaning each other etc.
I dont think Ive ever seen Phil Collins fight back, he just sort of goes along with it or hops away. He seems reasonably happy to be the *****.
Do I need to worry about having their fluffy dice chopped off? Everything Ive read says male rabbits cant get along, but mine dont seem to be in mortal danger in each others company.
Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 06:42 AM
Rodentologist

I wouldn't say that male rabbits can't get along, but they typically are the hardest to bond, especially when they've still got their hormones running wild. I don't know that I would consider them "ok" yet as they're only 6 months old and their bratty hormonal behavior should be at its start.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 09:19 AM

Most people say to get all rabbits done for the best but i think it is up to you really! Apparently it is sippsed to make them "nicer" but i had my Barney done and he changed for the worst, he wouldnt come near me and hates people and became very quiet!! But then again if you are going to keep the 2 males together it may be best to get them done just in case!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator

Males can get along, but I would get them neutered. I had a pair of males, and now have a trio of two males and a female. All my rabbits have been fixed though.

As they get older and more hormonal it will be more likely that they will get into serous fights. I would get them neutered - better safe than sorry. If they start fighting, they can really do serous damage to each other. I never recommend having two rabbits live together unless they are both fixed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 02:48 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I agree with Michelle, there's a good chance they'll start fighting as they get older if they aren't neutered. My brother and sister each had a rabbit and they both lived together. They were supposed to be two females but ended up being two males. They lived happily together for over a year--before breaking out into a horrible fight .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 03:44 PM

Yeah i would recommend it as i had one rabbit attacked by two of my others and he ended up dying because of it and i would hate me or anybody to go though that again!! x