Christmas is almost here! Advice? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

Christmas is almost here! Advice?

Christmas is on it's way and I just can't wait to get a tree (a real one), and decorate it and put presents under it and etc etc etc. In the words of Homeland Security - what's the threat level? Should I get a bag of M&Ms and just close my eyes and pick one? Hahaha ... joke!

But really, as a bunny mommy, what should I be concerned about? Obviously the wires from the lights, but what about the tree? And other things of that nature.

Advice please!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 02:26 AM
Adolescent Pup

Not being Christian, I've never dealt with this personally, but I'm thinking the bunny will probably try to snack on the tree and unwrap the presents before Christmas arrives... or vice versa.

Seriously, though, if you're letting your rabbit out on the floor in the same room, you can't possibly put the presents under the tree. The rabbit WILL chew on the edges. And I don't know if that type of wood is safe for bunnies to chew. Some wood types are poisonous to them.

I'd recommend doing a google search on this topic. I'm sure it must have been discussed by someone on the internet before.

--Fromper
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 03:44 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Well the tree has a bucket that the tree goes in...so that would prevent some chewing... pine is bad for them to chew on, but you will have a hard time keeping it from the tree and presents

I would say its probably better than a fake tree chewing on wires and plastic

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 10:44 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

Maybe you can put a fence around the tree to keep him at a safe distance. I would be most concerned about him biting a wire. Christmas lights have so many small wires that they could easily bite on - and that would be VERY BAD.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 02:10 AM
Betta Bomb

we dont put presents under the tree intil christmas eve anyway due to animal and children in the vicinity..we keep them up on shelves and in cupboards and anywhere else really but on the floor. also, ive never dealt with this either since this is my first christmas back home with mom.before i lived with other people and we would just go to our parents and the bunners would stay home....just prevent the bunner from going near the tree.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator

I never really let my bunnies out around the Christmas stuff. I worry about the wires and the glass and them eating something that's not good for them.

Bunnies can be such trouble makers, I try to keep them in their own Bunny proofed area where there isn't anything they could destroy or get hurt with.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 08:37 PM
Betta Bomb

still let them unwrap their own prezzie!! im getting mine wicker baskets filled with hay and goodies
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 09:17 PM
Adolescent Pup

I bought Flash some willow baskets, but I hadn't thought about wrapping them. He'd probably like that!

--Fromper
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 02:21 AM Thread Starter

Well, the tree is downstairs, which is where Toddy has free reign. So far I have the wires all up and out of the way - as per usual, but haven't done anything about blocking him off from the tree itself. The tree is in a stand/bucket, so he can't get to the trunk. But he's recently become brave enough to approach the tree and examine it more closely. I assure you these examinations will result in some "taste tests" from the low hanging branches and fallen needles ... I'll research this topic and report back. Thanks for the suggestions, though!

Tags
bunny, christmas, threats