cleaning question. messy bunny! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Suffers from Title Envy

cleaning question. messy bunny!

does anyone have any tips for keeping your house clean? Charmin has a very very large NIC cage but the cage is in a carpeted room! i am having sooo much trouble keeping hay off of the carpet. Seems like I do more cleaning than hanging out with Charmin. And before too long there will be another bunny is a big NIC cage living in that same room.

hay will tear up a normal vacuum. I hate shop vacs, they seem so dusty and mess with my allergies. plus they are loud! And the one I have still doesnt pick up hay. It freaks Charmin out too.

anyone ever try sweeping hay off of the carpet with a broom? its horrible!
thanks for any help!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 10:14 PM
Super Moderator

The curse of keeping rabbits! I spend a lot of time cleaning up after my trio.

I found a vacuum that deals with the hay pretty well. It's an older model dirt devil, and I discovered that if I remove all the attachments and use only the hose, it's pretty good at sucking up the large pieces of hay. Then I can just vacuum regularly to get up the smaller pieces and the dust.

Another thing I can suggest that has been helping me is that I got a really high sided litter pan. I got this one...
http://www.leithpetwerks.com/prodpag...rod_code=LP120
It's expensive I know, but it's the highest sided one I've found so far and it does help to keep the hay contained more.

Really the only other thing I can suggest is that I clean the room/cage every day, or every other day. If I let it go any longer than that it starts to get pretty bad, which means more time spent cleaning.

But yeah, I guess it's just part of having a rabbit. They can be really messy! I'm amazed sometimes at what a huge mess my tiny little guys can make.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 10:19 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Beside's Dragonrain's suggestions, my suggestion would be placing a mat underneath the cage. Something smooth..maybe like one of those workshop placemats. Something that's easier to just sweep off, you know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 07:39 PM
is a little "special"

I have a central vac, so I can vaccuum up alot of it LOL!
I would just put a big tarp under the cage, or even vinyl runners. (I THINK thats what theyre called?)

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 06:57 AM Thread Starter
Suffers from Title Envy

i like the big tarp idea! they might eat some holes in it from time to time though.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 11:31 AM
is a little "special"

Oh well... I guess it would double as a toy LOL!

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 06:57 AM Thread Starter
Suffers from Title Envy

the tarp is working great!

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-23-2009, 06:24 PM
Betta Bomb

I used to have a vinyl runner and Acacia chewed it so as with tarp Im sure you have to be super careful in its placement so they cannot chew it!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-23-2009, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Suffers from Title Envy

so far they have not paid any attention to the tarp. I would not be surprised if they ate holes in it though!

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator

Be careful if they start chewing it, I would be worried about it causing a blockage or something.

But I'm glad you found something that's working for you.

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Suffers from Title Envy

Thanks but i am not that worried.
eating that would probably be better than eating the carpet, and that is a big possibility. or eating the plastic litter boxes....
or baseboards.

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 07:06 AM Thread Starter
Suffers from Title Envy

I found out what to do!

take out the carpet and put down vinyl tile! LOL! I got sick of it, and aggravated one day and started tearing off carpet in that spot.

so now we can just sweep up any mess

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 08:22 AM
Adolescent Pup

Have you tried calling a sign shop and ordering a sheet of coraplast to make a pan? The shop over here quoted me 20.00 for a sheet.you just lay it out a and score the corners to make a big Corigated Plastic Pan set cage in it and you are golden.

It,s Good to be alive!

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Suffers from Title Envy

yeah, i thought about doing that. but decided just to put down the tile.
it was a large area, 15 ft by 9 ft. and we dont have a truck to haul anything

Tags
hay, mess, rabbit