CLIPPING NAILS!!! what a nightmare! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2005, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

Cool CLIPPING NAILS!!! what a nightmare!

Anyone got a trick for nail clipping???

I tried cradling him on his back in "bunny trance" but he snaps out of it so quick. He doesnt like being held or me holding his feet. Is there anything I can do besides going to the vet?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2005, 07:29 PM

What I do with Dutchie is sit in a recliner with my knees up. Then rest his back against my theighs with his back feet in the air...strangely, he'll stay like that for as long as I allow! After that, clipping nails is a breeze!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 01:33 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

it's a two person job here! Alex holds one bunny...under the chest and stretches them out across his stomach and then holds both back legs together by their knees. He holds them tight and pushes the rabbit into his body, so if she kicks then she can't flip and break her back. Then I grab hold of one leg and push my thumb underneath their foot. It makes them splay their toes out and it works quite well! If Molly gets to stressed w eput a towel over her head

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 08:26 AM

i can do my bunnies alone, i just flip him on his back, on my lap, and clip awy, he usually flips over once of twice.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 11:20 AM

I know of some people who don't even bother flipping the rabbit onto its back, they just clip while the rabbit sits on their lap. It won't work for all rabbits, but it seems to work well for them.

We usually have two people when we clip toenails, one to hold the bunny, and one to clip . Some rabbits are really well behaved, won't budge an inch, others, it's definitely a struggle...
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 12:12 PM

Its difficult. I've tried it both ways and there is always a struggle. Try doing it outside or in a place where Jellybean might feel a little scared. Usually when they are unsure of their surroundings they tend to freeze and hold still a little more. I have problems with mine wherever I do it though and I always get scratched!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 12:46 PM

Dutchie is easy like I stated above...Lucky on the other hand is a two person job. I usually have to burrito wrap him with one leg sticking out at a time and have Shane clip while I hold. We found if the dogs are in the same room while we do it, Lucky holds still easier
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 07:46 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Sakura's easy and Sake sometimes kicks but she's ok. Puchiko is a NIGHTMARE. I wrap her in a towel and make sure to wear long sleeves, lol.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 07:51 PM

Red face

I havent attempted to do my bunnies nails, I take them to the vets to be done..
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 08:14 PM

Each rabbit has a different way that it works best. Some go into the bunny trance well, and you can clip away. Others have to go into the trance while upside-down on your lap. Still others won't stay upside-down and have to be clipped while they are upright. In that case, I just extend a leg a little and clip. http://islandgems.net/nails.html shows this method.

It can be done with two people as well. What I usually do, though, is an interesting little maneuver that holds the rabbit into the upside-down position. I turn them over using the base of the ears and a bit of the scruff to balance them, and do most of the lifting with my other hand scooped under their bum. (The ears part sounds bad, I know, but your hand is mostly there just for support, and it really doesn't hurt them). Then I cradle them into my arm so that their head is in the crook of my arm (bent elbow) and their feet are sticking out. Then I can clip with my other hand. http://islandgems.net/showmanship.html shows the picking up part of this method, though they are using the scruff only to support. It really depends on the breed and rabbit. Some rabbits have more sensetive ears and don't really like them touched.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 08:44 PM

I took mine to an expert at a reliable pet store. I figured I'd need to help hold her. But she picked her up (right hand under her chest; left hand scooping her up directly from behind), put the bunny on her lap tight against her stomach and then covered her eyes with a cloth. The worker then clipped the nails while keepoing her arms pressing on her just a bit. The bunny, Poppy, was pretty calm about it.

It all went easier than I ever expected.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 08:45 PM

Question

BTW, I have heard that the "trance" is potentially dangerous, unnatural, and scary for the bunny. I don't know for sure. (?).

Last edited by Zouave; 02-02-2005 at 08:48 PM.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zouave
I took mine to an expert at a reliable pet store. I figured I'd need to help hold her. But she picked her up (right hand under her chest; left hand scooping her up directly from behind), put the bunny on her lap tight against her stomach and then covered her eyes with a cloth. The worker then clipped the nails while keepoing her arms pressing on her just a bit. The bunny, Poppy, was pretty calm about it.

It all went easier than I ever expected.
That's the real trick; be confidant and be used to handling rabbits. I don't need help, and I can get through 50 nail clips in less time than you would believe without hurting or scaring the rabbits.

Quote:
BTW, I have heard that the "trance" is potentially dangerous, unnatural, and scary for the bunny. I don't know for sure. (?).
It's only dangerous if your rabbit is in a position where it can fall. It may be a bit scary at first for a rabbit to turn on its back, but it HAS to learn because you (or your vet) will need to do routine health checks on the underside of the rabbit (even if you never turn it over for nail clipping), and if the rabbit is used to it, it is less likely to be scared (which can cause it to freak out and wiggle in a way that it could possibly get hurt...not likely, but possible). A "trance" is the best way to get them used to being upside-down because it is less likely they will end up being hurt, and it is less stressful than other methods.

Tags
pet store