Clover's story - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Clover's story

Hi, I haven't posted on here for ages but wanted to share what my poor bunny has been through in the last couple of months. His name is Clover and he's four now. He was sold as a girl - found out he was a boy when he was about 1 and started getting "friendly" with my legs!. He was neutered soon after and since then the only vet trips he's had have been for jabs and check-ups. Until this year.

First he got a bit of a muck bottom at the beginning of spring, which he is quite prone to being a dwarf lop with very fluffy fur. Normally a good run in the garden sorts him out, but not this time so we went to clean him up, only to discover that we were too late and he already had flystrike. We got him straight to our vet and they sorted him out - fortunately he only had a mild case and we got him seen to quickly and probably saved his life. He has now been rearguarded and that will be repeated once more this summer and again every year when he gets his jabs.

He had just got over that when he went quiet - for a few days I thought he was just a bit hot (he's black and we've been having a bit of a heatwave in the UK) but last Saturday I checked on him and his left eye was shut and running. A trip to the emergency vet the next day and he had an antibiotic jab and some drops which we had to put in his eye three times a day. The vet said it looked like something had poked him in the eye and it had got infected, but expected the drops to sort it out. Two days later we took him back to be checked and the eye was no better, if anything a bit worse, so he was admitted for intensive treatment. The vets were brilliant and tried every available antibiotic by injection and as drops, but by Friday there was no improvement although he was still eating well and fine in himself, so we had to take the decision to either remove his eye or put him to sleep. I had said from the beginning that I'd rather have Clover with only one eye than not have him at all, so he had surgery on Friday afternoon. He came through it well and I visited him yesterday. He's still in hospital on painkillers now but might be well enough to come home tomorrow. I can't wait, I have really missed my bunny!

Well done to anyone who made it to the end of the story, and if anyone has any experience of one-eyed buns I'd be interested to hear it.

Becs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Clover the one-eyed rabbit

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Toffee and Fudge the gerbils
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 07:40 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Good luck Clover...such a cute name too. Hope he feels better, post pics when you can! I'm sorry I am not intelligent about bunnies, What is flystrike?

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 08:57 PM
Adolescent Pup

I love the name Clover! Very cute.
I'm so sorry that Clover had to have surgery.
Hope he heals quickly and feels better soon.
Keep us updated

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 11:26 PM
Part of the Pack

Sorry about your bun-bun!I'm sure he'll be fine with lots of TLC. My bunny (R.I.P) didn't have all of one of his back feet. I don't know if he was born that way or if he had an accident, but you couldn't tell from the way he jumped and played. There's a pic of him in my album stretched out and you can see his short foot. Keep posting how he's doing!

~Amy~ Mom to Lucy

Forever in our hearts...
Mina, Psyche, Puff, Bootsy, Tommy, Sooner, Quinnie, and Lucky.

~and last but not least, my bunbun Roger~
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 11:31 PM
Betta Bomb

Aww, hope CLover is back to his normal self soon!!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 12:28 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrWoodyspets View Post
Good luck Clover...such a cute name too. Hope he feels better, post pics when you can! I'm sorry I am not intelligent about bunnies, What is flystrike?
Flystrike happens when a rabbit gets feces on his bottom, then is attacked by flies. The flies lay eggs on the rabbit, which turn into maggots, and the maggots eat away at the flesh of the poor rabbit. It is a very serious and deadly condition.

Becs, good luck to you and Clover. I pray his bad streak of luck is over.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 01:00 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Thanks for your good wishes, I am waiting for the vet to open so I can find out if Clover can come home today.

Thanks Moonchild for your definition of flysrike. Clover was very lucky because we caught it so early that the maggots hadn't really started on him. Our vet said she has seen cases where the entire back end of the rabbit is being eaten away, and it can take months to get the rabbit better or even kill them. Clover's mucky bottom was caused by a case of mild diarrhoea brought on by him being a bit greedy with the spring grass - he has recovered from that now but we will keep an eye on him.

Clover the one-eyed rabbit

Toffee and Fudge the gerbils
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 02:22 PM
Part of the Pack

my mouses name is clover, and you made the right decision to remove the eye, I'm sure he will do well as a little bunny pirate

Good luck with him!

give your love no matter what.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 10:41 PM
Betta Bomb

Awww, bunny pirate.. ARRRRGH

Tags
eye, flystrike, rabbit