Company for a 10 week old buck?? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Question Company for a 10 week old buck??

I have just separated my 10 week old buck from his sister and mum...he was starting to mount. I am worried that he will be lonely in his hutch/run all my himself (unfortunately his brother died on Wednesday...they would have been hutch mates). Can you suggest a solution? I have been told that he would fight with any new buck introduced to him until he has been neutered, but he is a little too young for that yet isn't he?

Thanks
BettyB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator

I'm sorry you lost his brother.

What about getting him neutered when he's old enough, getting the females fixed, and reintroducing him to his mother and sister? I don't know if you know this already, but the high cancer rates in unfixed females makes it pretty imported to get the girls fixed too, even if you don't end up ever having them around another male.

Even when they are fixed, it's usually easier to create male/female bonds than it is to make same sex pairs. I wouldn't introduce an intact male to another male. If you want another male, I'd wait until both could be fixed to start introductions.

He should be ok until he's old enough to be fixed. Give him plenty of attention. Maybe allow him to still see and smell his mother and sister without giving them direct access to each other.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thanks Michelle. I do intend to get them all fixed as soon as they are old enough, but I guess that means keeping them apart for another 6 weeks or so. Do you think they'll 're-bond' easily at that point?

xx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator

If you're planning on putting them all together again in the future, I'd try to allow them to see/smell each other in the mean time even if they can't have direct access to each other. Can you cage them separately, but close enough together that they can still smell/see each other through their separate cages?

That way when you do get them fixed, they'll already be used to each other to some extent. It may still take some work to reintroduce them, but usually the first step to bonding is to get them used to each others smell and stuff anyways. You can get a head start on that now even without being able to actually put them together.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thanks