considering getting a bunny rabbit...feedback please?? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

Question considering getting a bunny rabbit...feedback please??

Warning, this is horribly long, skip to the last two paragraphs if you don't want the whole story...you can probably understand it better if you read the whole thing, but I understand if you don't have time haha.

I already have a whole lot of animals, but they are all family animals and I would really like one to call my own. I want to get a cute little bunny from my local rabbit rescue center, which is a great place that takes abandoned or stray rabbits and rehabilitates them and finds homes for them.

However, I have kind of a unique living situation. I have a condo in the city that I stay at most weekdays because of school, and a country house that is 45 minutes away from the condo and that I spend weekends and some nights at. All my pets (cats, fish, etc) are located at the country house, except for the dog which goes back and forth.

I would hate myself if I left my new bunny alone at my condo on the weekends and some nights, because that's just not very nice and it would probably get dirty, lonely and sad. However I'm not comfortable having it live at the country house where my killer cats roam free and kill all the furry animals they can get their paws on.

So I came up with the idea that I can set up two homes for the bunny: one in my condo in my bedroom, and one in my country house also in my bedroom. I can play with the bunny during the days and nights that I am in my condo, but when I go back to my country house I can simply take it in the car with me in a pet carrier and let it roam around in my room safe from the cats.

However I think maybe the bunny wouldn't like switching back and forth so often, and maybe I just shouldn't give one a home simply because it might be too stressful for it to have two different houses (like me haha). I don't want to rescue a poor homeless bunny if it won't like the lifestyle that I give it. So what do you think? Will it be allright to have a two-homed bunny or should I just give up the idea?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 04:55 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I actually think it would depend on the rabbit in question. While most rabbits would probably be stressed out in that kind of situation, I know plenty of rabbits who have no problems with traveling. Maybe consider fostering a rabbit and see how it goes?

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

How do you go about fostering a rabbit? Sorry, I'm new to the whole bunny world lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator

Talk to the shelter and ask about fostering. You'll take the rabbit home and care for it - if it works out you can adopt it, if it doesn't than the shelter will continue to try to find the rabbit a new forever home.

I agree that it depends on the rabbit. I had two rabbits while in college and use to travel with them pretty often and they did great with it. I just didn't really have anyone I trusted around to watch them for me so I took them with me. Some rabbits are more nervous and get stressed easier than others and probably wouldn't handle traveling very well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Dragonrain; 06-02-2009 at 05:57 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 05:56 PM
Salamander Burgermuffin

I agree about fostering, it would be a great way to try it out and see how the situation would work, Our rabbit doesn't really like riding in the car, i think its pretty stressful for her. But some rabbits might not mind, especially if its done so often. And I would start off with small trips. and put a ton of hay in the carrier with her. Kudos to you for thinking this out ahead of time. And adopting instead of picking up a baby bunny at a pet store. I hope you've also taken the time to research proper housing, diet and especially bunny proofing? Best of luck, be sure to come back and let us know how it all turns out.

My Furry Family
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 07:18 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Make sure that you do research before you get one also because I know that bunnies take a lot of work and care. You have to clean the hay out everyday and scrub it down and give them lots of attention. Just something to think about. G'luck!

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

Thanks a lot for your input everyone, I am going to go to the shelter's adoption showcase they're having in two weeks and ask if I could foster one of the bunnies =]

As for the research aspect, I've done an almost unhealthy amount of research lol because I want a bunny so badly and I want to know everything about them. I even know the different colors that their pee can be haha. So I'm definitely covered in that area!

Thanks again for your comments, I'll keep you all posted on anything new that happens.

Tags
rabbit, rabbit adoption, rabbit housing