Cost of bunny spay? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Cost of bunny spay?

I was just wondering if some of you could share the cost of getting your buns spayed. We recently took our 2 dwarf buns (3 mos. old) to the vet and the estimate to get them both spayed is outrageous.

We do live in Chicago - so prices are more here. And, obviously, we are going to get them both spayed either way. I just wanted to compare prices.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 01:45 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Mine was under $100. I think it was like 60-70
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 03:13 PM
Super Moderator

Spays can be very expensive.

I don't have a female rabbit but about an hour from me (in MA, not NJ) there is a low cost clinic that charges $95 for the spay plus any charges for pain meds and suportive care afterwards. However, 'normal' vets in MA usually cost around $200-$300, with the 'better' vets, like the one at Tufts cost around $400 per spay.

In NJ I don't know of any low cost options, and most vets I know of charge between $200 - $300.

Maybe you could find a low cost clinic? The one I found in MA is awesome, they spay a lot of the rabbits from a local rabbit rescue so the vet has tons of experience. What I did was contact some of the local rabbit shelters/rescues to ask if they could recommend lower cost vets and one told me about the clinic.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 06:13 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

I just spent $185.00 for a Penelope's spay plus $17.00 for metacam shot and $40.00 for pre op blood wrk - a total of $242.00.
Teddy was $145.00 for the neuter, $17.00 for Metacam and $40.00 for pre op blood work - a total of $202.00
An intial visit is $52.00.
Follow up visits are $45.00.
And Penelope had to go back the day after which cost $85.00 more for fluids, a bottle of metacam and critical care food.
Of course we only used a few doses out of the bottle of Metacam and the critical care is still unopened but "they" say you should have it in the house with bunnies.
I used the Metacam when Teddy came home. I figured that he had to be sore and since I had it he was going to use it. I still have more left and I have some that is still good from Tabby.
It is worth it though. They are so much better with their litter boxes after. And more important, you don't need to worry about cancer!

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 03:35 PM
RAT ADDICT

The vets here charge around the same price for neutering/spaying as cats.My sister just had her bunny spayed and paid about $230.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 11:48 PM

Lola's cost around $260. A lot more money than I thought, but it was worth it for a healthy bun.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Thanks for all of the feedback. My vet is asking $300 for each bunny. I called around and he is actually the cheapest in the city.

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 11:25 AM
Rodentologist

You get what you pay for, realistically.

There are some areas that have low-cost bunny spay/neuter, but a lot don't. $250-$300 is normal here.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I don't know if I neccessarily agree with the, "you get what you pay for" way of thinking. A couple years ago, I got my cat neutered for $65.00. The vet was amazing and the care and attention was top-notch.

Of course, I'm not looking for the cheapest bidder to spay my buns. But, I'm a diabetic and my parents are both in the medical field. I have lots of experience with human healthcare and I can definitely tell you ---- more money does not always mean better care.

Do I think that my $300 bunny spay is going to be leagues better than the person who got it done for $75? Not really.

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 11:46 AM
Rodentologist

If your rabbit or cat is healthy, then yes, the "cheaper" spays are generally ok. But a more expensive spay is generally safer... they do bloodwork, have different monitoring methods in place, etc.

We have a vet here that will spay for $150.... but he also admits that the rabbit is more likely to die on the table because he doesn't do preoperative bloodwork, and does not have the specialized equipment to monitor the rabbit that the specialty exotic clinics have.

He says if the spay goes well, that may not matter, but honestly, if there's a problem, he wouldn't be able to screen that out beforehand, and he likely couldn't bring the rabbit back if there were problems with anesthesia. He is an excellent vet, and I trust his opinions on many things, and he feels like it's important for there to be a cheaper option so more people do spay their rabbits -- and I agree.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 02:08 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Whoa!!!!

My vet is one of the top for bunnies in my opinion (she's a member of the rabbit society and goes to every conference etc..) and she only charged me under $100 for spaying and neutering. That was 2 yrs ago though but still. $200-300 seems like a lot.Oh well you gotta do what you gotta do!!

If you adopt your bunny from your local wild life center or something similar the cost of the bunny would lot less expensive (some are 0, it's just donations) and they come spayed/neutered. Im just saying
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator

I don't think it's a matter of cost, I think its more the vet and whether they have experience with rabbits or not - and how much. Just because your paying a lot doesn't mean your going to the best vet. I talked to a vet who wanted $200 to neuter a rabbit but didn't do bloodwork and didn't use the safest kind of anethesia - and another vet who only charged $75 but did bloodwork, and used all the safest drugs for rabbits.

With rabbits, the most important thing is to talk to your vet before you let them do any surgerys or anything and make sure they know what they're talking about. Ask them questions about what drugs they use and how they moniter the rabbits. The vet can be an awesome dog and cat vet and charge a small fortune, but that doesn't mean they know what they're doing when it comes to rabbits.

FAQ: How to Find a Good Rabbit Vet

FAQ: Spaying and Neutering

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 06:04 PM

My Cousin is on the house rabbit society's vet list (Her name is Bianca Zaffarano, and she is an amazing vet) and she quoted me a cost of around $300. I ended up going to someone she recommended closer to my house, and it was a little cheaper. I was very happy with the spay, and she recovered in less than a week. Her incision was very clean and perfect.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 08:11 AM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonrain View Post
I don't think it's a matter of cost, I think its more the vet and whether they have experience with rabbits or not - and how much. Just because your paying a lot doesn't mean your going to the best vet. I talked to a vet who wanted $200 to neuter a rabbit but didn't do bloodwork and didn't use the safest kind of anethesia - and another vet who only charged $75 but did bloodwork, and used all the safest drugs for rabbits.

With rabbits, the most important thing is to talk to your vet before you let them do any surgerys or anything and make sure they know what they're talking about. Ask them questions about what drugs they use and how they moniter the rabbits. The vet can be an awesome dog and cat vet and charge a small fortune, but that doesn't mean they know what they're doing when it comes to rabbits.

FAQ: How to Find a Good Rabbit Vet

FAQ: Spaying and Neutering
I agree.Just because you pay more,don't nessicarily mean your getting better care.

But with ANY pet,you should find a vet that specializes in that particular pet and KNOWS what they are doing,or your going to have problems and your pet's life may be in danger.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 12:47 PM
Rodentologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Rat View Post
I agree.Just because you pay more,don't nessicarily mean your getting better care.

But with ANY pet,you should find a vet that specializes in that particular pet and KNOWS what they are doing,or your going to have problems and your pet's life may be in danger.
Right, price isn't a guarantee, by all means, but equally qualified vets with higher prices may mean that you're getting more stuff, not just that vets are trying to scam you for money, was my point.

Tags
house rabbit, house rabbit society, litter box, litter boxes, rabbit society, regular vet