This could be the end.... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Exclamation This could be the end....

Ok. I REALLY need some help!!!

Ruby's new cage is great and all but when I put a lining of newspaper she tears it up and it gets everywhere. I would take a picture but I already cleaned it up. I can't put a towel or blanket down because my mom said I wouldn't be able to wash it in the washer because its gonna have bunny pee on it and Ruby is outside and it can get to be 100 degrees and that would just make her hotter.

Any other ideas? Please you guys! Think hard. My brain is fried and anything I come up with is just stupid. If I can't find a solution she'll have to go back to her wire cage...

Miss Ruby Alice -- Mini-lop Rabbit (2.5 years old)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Buddy -- Toy Poodle (9 years old)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms."

-George Eliot

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 12:02 PM
Jird Jostler

with my GP's i put newspaper and then sawdust ontop of it.. is this what you're doing?? maybe you could put more sawdust ontop so he cant see the newspaper to chew it.. You could get some tarpauling and put that under the hutch or parhaps a dustbin liner would work just as well. My mum has informed me that you used to be able to get sawdust catcher things to go under cages and they fix around the side of the cage, don't know if you can still get those tho.. hurmmmm..

I'm Georgia,
I drive like a rally driver.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 04:37 PM
Super Moderator

If the bottom of the cage is just plastic, you can probably get away without putting anything on the bottom of it if you can't figure out any other solution.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 05:34 PM
is a little "special"

You can get aspen or carefresh or something, or nothing

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

My solution is a tarp. I put it down on the bottom and I made a "chew box" which has a ton of newspaper in it for her to chew, that way she doesn't chew the tarp. I'm going to refill the chew box everyday so she always has something to chew on.....

Lets see how that works xD

Oh, and Jess. I have cat litter in her little box. I'm trying to train her to use it.. she's doing pretty good.

"Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms."

-George Eliot

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 06:50 PM
Rodentologist

Cat litter (clumping or clay) is not safe for rabbits. The only type of "cat litter" that's safe is Yesterday's News (compressed paper pellets) or things like Feline Pine (compressed pine pellets).

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 07:56 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

another thing you could do is put something over the tarp that she couldn't get to any part to chew, such as a metal frame or something if you are good with wood you could put wood frame down and then have to replace it when she chews it up

Toy + tarp saver

[/CENTER]

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 11:52 PM
Will It Ever Change?

what I do is go to a thrift store and get the cheapest made-of-cloth things you can find. then you can sacrifice them without feeling like you're losing money. every cage cleaning i take the old clothes out, throw in the garbage, and put new ones in! it works great

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator

Be careful to make sure she doesn't chew on the tarp - I would worry about her accidently swallowing some and it causing inpactions. But if she doesn't chew on it then I guess that wouldn't be an issue.

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 01:16 PM
is a little "special"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photoesque View Post
My solution is a tarp. I put it down on the bottom and I made a "chew box" which has a ton of newspaper in it for her to chew, that way she doesn't chew the tarp. I'm going to refill the chew box everyday so she always has something to chew on.....

Lets see how that works xD

Oh, and Jess. I have cat litter in her little box. I'm trying to train her to use it.. she's doing pretty good.
Be careful with the tarp- I know Smudge enjoys destroying the one on our deck, so Id be carefull she doesnt eat it!

And BTW, cat litter can be really bad for bunnies... I use those compressed pine pellets, and they work really well You can get huge bags of them at Fleet Farm for really cheap!
Good luck with litter training her!

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 06:25 PM
Betta Bomb

I find Yesterdays News works well for mine b/c Akina pees ALOT but nobody can smell it for the litter is just so awesome!i buy a huge bag at Sobeys(grocery store) or walmart for about 15$ which lasts 2 litter boxes a good while...as for the bottom of the cage thing,just buy sheets at the thrift store like Mulder suggested and what i did was wash them in the washer while mom was working and told her when she got home so she culdnt get too angry b/c the washer smells like my sisters A & W uniform and not like bunny mess.Both of mine pee in the litter and not on sheets though so i wouldnt know the odor.Good luck though,i hope you fix your problem!
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 08:17 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

I use wood stove pellets. They are like feline pine but cheaper. I only change it out and clean the boxes every other day. I put the hay on top of the litter and never have a problem.
As for the washing of the towels - what about a laundromat? I had to take Tabbys towels to a laundromat when our washer broke. My mother in law had done our other laundry but I didn't want to ask her to wash those.
At home I washed Tabbys towels at least twice and then I would always run the washer through with bleach and nothing else after I was done to clean the washer. Although I understand about your mom - mine is the same way she would never ever let me put anything questionable in her washing machine. When my cousin lived with her she did his laundry for him because she was afraid of what he may put in it.
I had enough large towels for a full load - so I was not wasting too much water.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 07:01 PM
Part of the Pack

You could rinse the towels in the bathtub first or hose them off outside and then run them through the machine. It couldn't be much different than washing cloth diapers.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-05-2008, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennicat View Post
Cat litter (clumping or clay) is not safe for rabbits. The only type of "cat litter" that's safe is Yesterday's News (compressed paper pellets) or things like Feline Pine (compressed pine pellets).

i know. that's why i have yesterday's news...

-George Eliot

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-05-2008, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

ok well, the tarp didn't work. when i put it in i kept checking on her to see if she chewed a whole.. and she did. luckily she didn't eat it but i'm not taking any more chances.

i really think the sheet idea is a good idea but, she messes it up! i'll make the cage neat and tidy and (i know rabbits are messy but) she takes it and rolls it up in a ball and then she knocks over her litter pan.. i'm just lost. idk what to do anymore and it makes me upset because the only solution my parents can think of is saying good-bye.. but i just cant give up on her.

-George Eliot