Crazy cage Biter, Help! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Crazy cage Biter, Help!

I have my first bunny for about 2 months, he is about 5 months old and it is a male (non neutered) Netherland Dwarf. However, he bites his cage like crazy, first I thought he want to chew to for his teeth, so I bought him toys and woods that clips to the cage, but he doesn't touch any of them. So i kind of let him chew the cage since he doesn't like to chew on his toys. first he only bite on certain section of his cage, later, he started to bite at the door and I learned that when he chew at the door he wants to come out and once I let him out and play then he stops when he go back to the cage. but for the past few days, he has been going crazy, even if i let him out all he wants, when ever i'm in the living room with him, he starts biting immediately (unless he is sleeping). one time i caught him with his mouth holding on to a horizontal bar of the cage and I watched him for 5 mins behind the wall, not biting. As soon as I called his name and walk closer to him, he started biting. I tried to spray him water to teach him he can't always be biting and wanting to come out, because when i'm in hurry to go to work in the morning, i don't have time to let him out. When I go home after work i would let him out for hours, but he still bite the cage like crazy (almost the whole cage) and ignore all the toys he has. so right now either he bite the cage or sleep. What can I do??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 01:52 PM
Adolescent Pup

What type of toys did you give him? My little guy, Flash, doesn't like anything small enough to move easily. He likes chewing on big, immovable objects, like walls, furniture, etc. So I bought him a 2x4 piece of wood, and put a 1 foot long section of it in his cage, in front of the door. He can easily jump over it to get out when the door's open, but it gives him something to chew on when he's stuck in the cage. But he also grabs the door to try and chew his way out when he wants to come out and play. He has learned over time that he can't always come out when he wants, especially in the morning when I'm leaving for work.

--Fromper
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator

It sounds to me like he's chewing the door for attention, or he's bored.

If the part he's chewing on is metal, it can actually be very damaging to his teeth.

How big is the cage, and what toys does he have? How much play time is he allowed outside of the cage? You can try giving him diffrent types of toys to keep him from getting bored. Diffrent types of chew toys, felt blankets, balls, cardboard, willow balls - rabbit toys don't have to be expensive. I build my rabbit little houses out of cardboard and he loves to chew on them and move them around his cage. I give him felt blankets to sleep on and he'll spend hours digging under the blanket and making tunnels under it. Rotate his toys every couple of days so they don't get boring to him.

Also, ignore him when he chews the cage. If he's doing it for attention, and you give it to him, even if your just going over to him to get him to stop doing it, then he gets what he wanted (your attention) and learns that chewing the cage gets him what he wants. Try to make him sit without chewing before you open the door to let him out to play. Ignore him if he chews, but if he doesn't go over to him and give him a treat or some pets. Teach him that chewing the bars isn't going to get him what he wants.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

He has toys like phone book, so many different card box for him to jump on chew/crawl under, sometimes I would put little pieces of his favor treat (carrot) to inside for him to look for, chew woods and from pet store, oh also the hide away chewable which he only played with for 2 days, and now he doesn't touch it. I always tried to let him out for at least 30 mins every night, if I'm home late, to most of the evening when I'm home early. On the weekend I normally leave the door open and let himself go in and out. sometimes I let him play by himself, if i'm doing house work, or i would sit inside to play with him and read. However, I found that even if i'm play with him, he still come out of the cage and run around for a little and then flys back to the cage and start biting. Do you think neutered him can help this problem, because I will be doing that later, if that may help, then I may going to do it sooner, the noise of biting the cage is really annoying. He has a pretty big cage (I think) has 2 levels which he loves to jump up and down all the time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010056.jpg (86.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg P1010063.jpg (76.9 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by kakayee; 10-16-2008 at 12:43 PM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 03:40 PM
Adolescent Pup

I like the pics. He's a cute little guy.

Is it always one spot of the cage that he grabs? Maybe try attaching something or blocking it off with something heavy, so that he'll chew on that instead. For instance, perhaps attach a piece of cardboard to the bars of the cage in that particular spot, so he'll chew that instead.

Also, does he have something big and immovable that he can chew on? Like I said, Flash doesn't like chew toys that are too small. I gave him these tiny wooden blocks when I first got him, but he ignored them. But a big piece of wood (or wall, or furniture...) that he can't move is more fun for him. He can really sink his teeth into it, because it's not going anywhere where in his teeth push on it full force. That might be what your little guy is looking for in chewing on the cage.

--Fromper
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 09:55 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

Fromper has a great idea. I tied things to the baby gate on Teddy's room because he kept chewing on it. It helped a lot. Now he has things to chew on that don't move too much and it's hard for him to get to the gate to chew on it.
Like Flash, Teddy likes to chew on things that don't easily move.
The things I used were blocks that have holes drilled through them. Baby toy that is like baby keys. I even stuffed toilet paper tubes through it - he used to pull on them. To tie the things on I used sisal rope. You can find it at the hardware store.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 11:31 PM
Betta Bomb

cute bunny!! reminds me of a little someone i know
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 09:38 PM
Super Moderator

He's very cute

He would probably benefit from more time outside his cage each day if you can manage it - The House Rabbit Society I believe recommends 4 hours of play time outside the cage each day.

I think the ideas Fromper and Kathydip suggested are definatly worth a try!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Thanks for all the advice!! I will definitely try it all to see which one works. That means I can go do some more shopping for my cutie bun... yea... get another excuse to step in the pet store and spend $$ For play time, I've let him out pretty much whole day for both Saturday and Sunday this week. he seems to be a slightly better, because once he had enough, he would run back to the cage to sleep, but once he is wake up and I have happens to have the door close, he would start biting again, so I think this is how he is trying to tell me he wants to be out. But I'm starting to enforce him to stop the biting in order to come out, if he step backs after I tell him to stop, then I open the door. I will do my best to increase it more even during week days.

I finally get to see him biting one one of the wood toy I have attached to his cage today, I'm so happy. Thank-you so much!

Tags
cage biter, chew, help rabbit