Crises - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Crises

Man, what a rough week.

I have been bonding Phosphy and Winston. They were doing GREAT in the bathtub and grooming each other literally all day long, each and every day. For HOURS on end.

So I decided to move to a slightly less neutral territory. I picked a corner of my apartment where I know they've only been one or two times, each, and out of sight of their cages. When I put them together, there was a little humping and some grooming and exploring. So after about an hour I went to go to the bathroom. I come back, and they're panting on opposites sides of the pen. Phosphy has blood on her white fur, and there is blood on the wall. Freaked out, I picked her up but she seemed fine. So I picked up Winston. Poor little buddy! Two bites to the ear, both pierced completely through. He stopped bleeding immediately though.

Two days later, his poos start getting funny shapes, shrinking, and then they just stop. OH JESUS!!!!! His eye has a thick discharge. He barely moves around, and he just huddles in any available corner. He won't lay down. He eats a whole leaf of romaine lettuce, and I give him some Timothy hay (less gas producing than alfalfa), wondering if he has gas. I give him a tummy massage and some baby gas-x. No poos. So today he went to the vet.

X-rays, subcutaneous injection (I had been hydrating him via dropper, even though he was drinking on his own), baytril injection, and some meds to get things moving. Apparently, he has a HUGE hairball in him I think it's from him constantly grooming Phopshy since she's such a huge shedder! He wouldn't eat Petromalt a few days prior to the bite when I tried to give it to him. The doctor says if he isn't better by Tuesday, they need to operate. I read online that this has a VERY low success rate, although the doctor assured me he'd be fine and that's he's done plenty.

Thank you GOD for my Banfield discount (I work at PetSmart). It would've cost over $200, but with my discount, everything was only $140. Office visits are free, and everything else is discounted. Whew!

Pray for a speedy recovery and lots of poopies!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 10:43 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Oh, poor baby! I hope he gets better real soon!
*hugs Winston*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 12:31 AM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

We will pray for bunner poo at our house. Try and relax and project relaxing thoughts onto him. It is so scary when they are sick - but since you are such a great bunny mom you caught it at the first sign of trouble and did the right thing - brought him to the vet.
I fear hair balls in my buns.
Please let us know when he poos. Until then we will all be sending poopy thoughts Winston's way.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 01:30 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

LoL. Thanks a lot....but, I'm a bunny dad!!!!!!

Another question. Has anyone ever had their bunny's GI tract operated on? I think I read somewhere that the cost is around $2,000. I can only imagine it being more expensive in orange county.

No poos yet. ((

--trying to remember what relaxing is--

Thanks again everyone! I knew I could turn here for support
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 09:15 AM
Super Moderator

Aww I'm sorry, I hope Winston is feeling better soon!

Yeah, bunny surgery can be really expensive, but your vet sounds pretty reasonable. My vet charges $85 just to see a rabbit, and that doesn't include if they actually need any meds or anything.

Actually, compared to my vet, yours sounds cheap. Even without the discount, $200 for x-rays, fluids, and meds isn't a lot. I would expect to pay a lot more than that at my vets.

Anyways, if your worried about the cost you can ask them for a price quote. That's what I do, just so I have a better idea what to expect to have to pay. I know it can feel weird asking about it, but the vets are use to it.

But hopefully Winston poos soon and you doesn't have to go through surgery! Keep us updated.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 12:23 PM
Betta Bomb

oh,we need more bunny poop!!! you need to groom Phosphy alot more if she shed alot! i hope theres poop soon!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 08:41 PM

Sorry about the gender mistake. I should have remembered you are a bunner dad.
Any poo's yet?

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 08:52 PM
can't think of one, help

Oh poor bunny, I've also heard that FRESH pineapple juice is good for that too. No canned or concentrate, must be FRESH, I gave it to one of my bunns when I suspected fuzzy balls in the tummy.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 10:57 PM
Part of the Pack

You just can't trust those bunnies. Mine have been bonded for a while now...they we were getting along so well so I was thinking of housing them together...all of a sudden they start fighting again...so that changed my mind again.

I hope Winston is feeling better soon so that he doesn't have to have the surgery. Is his ear healing okay? Sending good thoughts and hoping that the poopies start up again soon....
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 03:38 PM
Adolescent Pup

Aww.. poor thing. Good luck and keep us updated, ok?

Miss Ruby Alice -- Mini-lop Rabbit (2.5 years old)

Buddy -- Toy Poodle (9 years old)

"Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms."

-George Eliot

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 05:24 PM

Please update us. We have been worried.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 09:40 PM
Betta Bomb

and silence..........the suspense is killing us ,man!!
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-09-2008, 07:33 PM
Newborn Pup

I'll be keeping my paws crossed that it will get better soon...

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 08:30 PM
Part of the Pack

I hope for yer poopies, even though i dont know how old this post is. I brush my bunner almost every day.. it socializes him plus helps with hairballs! post updates!

Tags
bunny hairball, emergency, gi stasis, poo