Cute Couple? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

Cute Couple?

I am a new rabbit owner, and I have a 2.5 month old girl and a 4 month old boy. I had wanted them to have a litter and then get them spayed and neutered. They have free reign over my home and share a cage at night. I wondered if this was a really bad idea. I've read that there can be a lot of complications between males and females and having kits (when the mother is too young). He does attempt to mate occasionally, I'm wondering if as he gets older he will drive her crazy (especially in the cage at night). Should I get a different cage for the mother and her future babies? I've read it's not good to separate a bonded pair and that the daddy can also be good to the kits. But I have also read that he can hurt them so??? Any advice is appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 03:03 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Why do you want to breed? There are already thousands of unwanted bunnies . If you'd like more rabbits, I suggest adopting them.

Anyways, yes, there can be many complications. It's not unusual for the first litter to not make it and often the female doesn't know what to do. Also, the female herself could die...especially if being bred at such a young age. That's like an 11 or 12-year-old having a baby.

And no, you shouldn't keep them together after she has her litter because he'll just get her pregnant again and could injure the babies.

Here are some links I'd check out:

http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/spay-neuter.html

http://www.rabbit.org/adoption/hidde...-breeding.html

http://www.rabbit.org/adoption/why-not-to-breed.html

I really hope you reconsider. Are they even the same breed?

Sorry if I sound rude, it's just that there are already so many homeless rabbits...

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

No you don't sound rude. They are mini rexs and we have the family line (pedigree). The father is a prize winning rabbit, and we really hoped to breed these two and get a black bunny baby, as the people who gave them to us said it was highly likely. There is the small potential in showing the babies, and we have prepared space for babies. The owners themselves show rabbits and may be interested. It was also a learning experience for my daughter, that is why we don't want to breed them 100 times, we hoped to do it once. But, it's conceivable that we could arrange to meet and see their breeder's rabbits have babies. I'll look more into it, it's hard to separate the two already, I thought it would be possible to neuter him while she was pregnant (in the future) to eliminate pregnancy after she has the kits. Thanks for posting!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 10:08 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

What are you going to do with the kits? sell them? keep them?

I really agree with Sasami, i've been to the wild life care center here and they have so many, they have to "get rid" of some. It's so sad.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 09:59 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnabun
No you don't sound rude. They are mini rexs and we have the family line (pedigree). The father is a prize winning rabbit, and we really hoped to breed these two and get a black bunny baby, as the people who gave them to us said it was highly likely. There is the small potential in showing the babies, and we have prepared space for babies. The owners themselves show rabbits and may be interested. It was also a learning experience for my daughter, that is why we don't want to breed them 100 times, we hoped to do it once. But, it's conceivable that we could arrange to meet and see their breeder's rabbits have babies. I'll look more into it, it's hard to separate the two already, I thought it would be possible to neuter him while she was pregnant (in the future) to eliminate pregnancy after she has the kits. Thanks for posting!
That's good . However, she is kind of young to be bred =/. I'd wait until she's at least seven or eight months old, personally. Otherwise there's a good chance she won't be able to care for the babies. And although you can neuter the male after she has the kits he can still get her pregnant again because a male's sperm can survive for up to three months after being neutered.

If you want it to be a learning experience, it might be better to see the breeder's rabbits have babies instead. Since it would be your first time breeding and the female's first litter the babies could all die and/or the mother too . I don't think that'd be a very good lesson.

What would you being doing with the rest of the babies? It's not easy to rehome bunnies and a petstore could sell them to irresponsible owners or feed them to reptiles. Remember that it's not unheard of for a female to have a litter of up to 14 babies . And being very involved in rabbit rescue, I don't want any more abandoned bunnies ^^;.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
mini rex