Diabetic?? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

Diabetic??

Akina drinks like a dehydrated horse. i always have water there for her but she probably goes through a full bottle every 2 days. now i grant that it does leak but not at a fast rate most of the water runs through that bunny!! and usually i sprinkle water on their salads to increase water intake as they eat .last night i took her litter box out to clean and she couldnt even hold her pee and she peed right on the GD carpet!!!! i do need to take her in to see a vet soon but coco is going tomorrow and ill probably give akina a few weeks for her turn. i was wondering here aloud before i look it up , can bunnies develop diabetes? she's not as fat as she used to be anymore but seriously, acacia will sip on her water and a dish will last a week if i let it. my other theory is that she's not spayed, could that cause her dehydration? my patience is nim with her peeing all the time, her littler box is always so full, any suggestion s would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 04:10 PM

Maybe you can just tell the Vet about the situation when you go tomorrow, and they may be able to let you know what to do until you take Akina to see the Vet.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 05:48 PM
is a little "special"

It sounds like it could possibly be diabetes to me...
A few years ago, I had a dwarf hamster that drank an entire water bottle (it was seriously 5 times her size) every single day, and every morning her cage was completely soaked... at first we thought the bottle leaked, but when it we used it in a different cage it worked fine, so we just thought that she was trying to hoard all her water.
After the poor lil girlie had a siezure and died, we finally found out that she acually had diabetes. :C
Im not sure if rabbits can get diabetes, but I had no idea that hamsters could get it either, so I would definatly take her to a vet!
And they dont have to be overwieght or old to get it either- My lil hammy was only a few months old, and not even close to being overwieght!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 12:35 AM
私は靖巣あなたを愛してI ♥ Yasuki

I think talk to the vet about what it could be and set up an appointment! I hope it is not diabetes...but it could be something else.

// k a t ((d)) 猫ちゃん ☆~(ゝ。∂)
私は武井靖巣あなたをして

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

i was at the vet last night and COMPLETLEY forgot to mention the bunner since Coco had all these thigs to check. he's going back in a week so ill have to write down things this time.

As for Akina, shouldnt i know by now if she was diabetic? i mean she probably would have seized or coma'd by now wouldnt she? for the amount of food she would eat if i left it down for her... yeah she would have popped by now

In the meantime i just keep my eye on her and what she eats
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 12:40 PM
Rodentologist

It really depends on teh severity of her diabetes whether or not you'd really "notice".

There are also a ton of other issues that can cause excessive water consumption and peeing, from kidney problems to urinary tract issues.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 06:33 PM
is a little "special"

They dont have a siezure, or anything like that, instantly when they have diabetes... Its was about a year before anything like that happened to my hamster. It would still be better to take her in sooner than later IMO.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 01:26 AM
私は靖巣あなたを愛してI ♥ Yasuki

Yes, normal to forget while concentrating on Coco!!
Maybe call in and ask for a vet, and ask advice on what u should do...
I am SURE they wont mind...and I am sure they will say to bring her it lol!!

// k a t ((d)) 猫ちゃん ☆~(ゝ。∂)
私は武井靖巣あなたをして

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

i know guys thanks. i am concentrating on my lump of an old man who needs to go back in a week for his rabies shot (which i think is almost just a money racket in a city like this) and since Akina's not spayed it muight have somehting to do with tht?? Im starting to get worried and will for sure call the vet on monday!
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 06:26 PM
Salamander Burgermuffin

How big is your bunnys water bottle? Our rabbit will empty her bottle in 2 days as well if i leave it go, I usually refill it everytime i feed her, but if i forget, or David feeds her and doesn't fill it, it will be empty or nearly empty the next day, i figured this was normal?

My Furry Family
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

i would have thought normal if Acacia drank just as much. the amount of pee in the litter box is ginormous also compared to Acacia's.for a while i assumed itwas because she's not spayed whereas Acacia is. ill call the vet and see
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator

Did she see a vet yet? I would get her in, it could be a UTI or a number of other things, but it's best to find out for sure so whatever it is you can start treating her if need be.

Have you changed her diet at all lately or anything? Because their diets can determine how much they drink. Barnaby only gets two teaspoons of pellets a day, so instead of getting more pellets he gets a lot of greens and fresh foods. He doesn't drink much normally, and my vet said it's because he's getting water from his diet.

post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-16-2009, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

Hasnt seen a vet yet. But yeah i did change the diet a while back to Martins.They LOVE the taste and Akina kind of wolfs hers down as soon as it hits the floor. The water bottle also leaks more than i thought it did,upon closer inspection i notice it pretty much drips at a slow and constant rate. Im gonna give her a bowl and test it tonight if she's drinking as much as im thinking. Plus Coco needs to go back to the vet this weekend for his shot and then it's Akina's turn.

2 teaspoons?? i have unlimited hay available and a BIG bowl of salad at night but i think i give them about a half cup of Martins in the morning...maybe too much?
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-16-2009, 07:16 PM
is a little "special"

It just depends on the rabbit... Im giving Smudge a little over a half cup right now, but hes still super slim! I swear, he has the highest matabolism ever!
Its hard to find a good water bottle. IMO bowls work better. ^^

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-16-2009, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

thanks.. im glad (most)of my worries are let loose..ill still call the vet and see but as o now there is no immediate problem requiring all my energy.Akina was kinda always on a diet because she's so dang chubbers!!