Diarrhea ! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-19-2005, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

Diarrhea !

Ok so we just noticed Coco has what we think is diarrhea. Very brown colored urine mixed with a few loose stool. Mostly the brownish-colored urine. We think the culprit is that pineapple. She seems to not have anything matted in her fur and it even looks like shes pooping normal again, but just in case, please can you guys give me some input? This is a first in like 8 and a half months with her. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-19-2005, 10:41 PM

First of all, if she's not used to eating something and you give her more than a little tiny bit, that's enough to upset her digestive system. something like fresh pineapple, if you give more than a little bit at a time (like a small chunk), because of the high water content, is likely to do that.

Just feed hay and pellets for a little while, and then, if you have to feed her pineapple again, VERY small pieces over a long span of time.

If ever the diahrrea keeps up for more than a day, you should take her to the vet immediately so that you can stop that. Rabbits seem to have a really difficult time maintaining their water levels and so diahrrea can actually dehydrate them to the point of death.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-19-2005, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

Ok thanks. We did give her only a small slice of it though. Im wondering if I should forget the pineapple for the cough and maybe just go to the health store to look into that dried papaya. I think her stool is ok again, though. Thanks for the reply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-20-2005, 03:19 AM

If she's fine now, then chances are it was just the pineapple. You could try just feeding her pineapple juice if you think the pineapple itself is too watery. The juice won't be too bad as her body should treat it like normal liquid if you mix it in with her water. The juice is what actually contains the enzyme that breaks down the blockage (if there is one).
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-20-2005, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

Hi again. Yep Im happy to report Coco is much better. I never actually thought of mixing pineapple juice with her water. I think I will try that tomorrow night and maybe hold off just a bit on the dried papaya. My only question is how much pineapple juice do you think I should mix in? I wouldn't want to overdo it.