Digging bunny - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Digging bunny

I don't know what to put in Molly's cage for flooring. She digs and chews everything so much. I have been using binder clips to make sure the towels are tightly secured to the coroplast but she still is able to rip up a spot and eat it. Then I cover the rip with cardboard and put the litter box on top. She just moves everything to try and get at it again. She puts all her toys under her water and feeding cups or throws them in the litterbox so they are out of the way of her digging. I want her to have a soft place to lay and to be safe but everything in there she tries to rip up. Should I just leave her on the bare coroplast. Would she be able to tear that up? It would be sharp if she did. I have a NIC cage...any suggestions???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 10:04 AM
Salamander Burgermuffin

I would take the towel out if shes trying to eat it.. she doesnt need it.. but theres no problem with her ripping up the cardboard.. unless you don't like her doing it. I sometimes give our rabbit boxes just so she can rip them up! As for her laying on the bare coroplast, i don't think theres any harm in it.. actually maybe thats what she wants? I don't think she'll be able to get through the coroplast.. but if she does you might have to replace it with something else to protect your floors.. is her litter box big enough for her to lay in or dig around in if she wants to?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Furry Family
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 10:11 AM
Adolescent Pup

How about unclipping the towel so it's loose? Sometimes, they like to just move the towels around, and it feels like they're digging. She might just be chewing it because she can't move it any other way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 05:05 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

Maybe give her a place to be able to dig? I wouldn't use a towel. She could get a string off of it. Penelope chewed her towels so someone suggested I get her a fleece blankie - the kind that wouldn't have any strings she could get off. All her blankies looks like swiss cheese but I don't need to worry about her. She loves to bunch them up and smooth them out. Teddy does it sometimes too. Ollie and Ophelia seem to just pee and poo on blankies.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

I have wire mesh in her litter box so she is not sitting in wetness. The litter box is just a plastic dish tub for the sink. She is able to lay in it but not stretched right out. I like the wire mesh in there because it keeps the cage so much cleaner and keeps her from eating the paper pellet litter (not sure if she consumes it or not).

Shortly before her spay she began digging and chewing more. I have had a loose towel for her to lay on after her surgery so it would be softer for her. She did push it around the cage and dig on it.

I think I will take out the fabric covering the coroplast tonight since it now has a big hole in it and also keep the wire out of her litter box so she can dig if she wants to.... She has been digging most of the night so getting a good nights rest is pretty hard for me right now. We will see it that is any better.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Things are much quieter through the night. I left a piece of cardboard in there for her to dig and chew...it is pretty much shredded already. Digging on the coroplast is not as noisy and I took the wire out of the litter box but she doesn't seem to dig in there.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator

Zeus does that too - I give them old towels and fleece and he loves to dig in them and move them around the cage. He gets mad if I clip anything down because then he can't move it to where he wants it. Even though his decorating skills stink, IMO. I set everything up all nice around the sides and he just piles everything up in the middle.

But I wish Zeus would be quite through the night! He wakes me up like 700 times a night being noisey, usually ripping up paper.

Try giving Molly an old phone book, I bet she'll have a blast ripping that apart!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 01:06 PM
Adolescent Pup

Phone books are a great bunny toy, but they're too big to put in Flash's cage. I've got to find him some more toys that he can play with inside the cage. He doesn't seem to really like the ones I've given him so far. He loves playing with the stack of phone books when he's out of the cage for play time, though.

--Fromper

Tags
litter box, wire mesh