Digging on me! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Suffers from Title Envy

Digging on me!

I have my one on one rabbit time with each rabbit on the couch. they all seem to really like it. but sometimes Charmin digs at my legs and belly, and sometimes nips my belly. What is he wanting? and can I train him to not dig and nip me? he is not being aggressive what so ever.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 12:20 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Actually, that is an aggressive behavior, from what I've read. It should go away if he gets neutered.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 07:03 AM Thread Starter
Suffers from Title Envy

he is neutered, and has been for over a month now.
he isnt hurting me, its just annoying

i thought it was more like him telling me he wants me to move, or to give him more space on the couch... or to even let him down.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 08:33 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

I've also read that once an aggressive behavior becomes engraved, that even fixing won't stop it. Like spraying. If males have become too accustomed to spraying, sometimes even neutering them won't stop them from doing it. So... you might just have to deal, :/ I mean I'm sure you could try simple behavioral techniques; like having him associate a random noise with being told no, as well as the verbal command, but I'm not sure if it would really have any sort of desirable effect.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 09:26 AM
Super Moderator

Hmm my netherland use to dig on me and nip me lightly when he wanted me to move out of his way. He did it a lot when I would sit on the floor with him, and he wanted to move to the other side of the room but I was blocking him.

Barnaby is a really sweet submissive rabbit, but he will dig on me when he wants to go back into the bunny room. Usually it's because he has to go to the bathroom.

I guess it can depend on the rabbit and the situation why they are doing it.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Suffers from Title Envy

thanks guys!
I dont feel that Charmin is being aggressive at all. he is not hurting me in the least and is not being rough.
I think he is telling me he wants more space on the couch. or maybe he is trying to tell me "HEY PET ME NOW!" it seems like any sort of nipping or digging starts when I stop petting him!

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 05:45 PM
Adolescent Pup

My bunny does the same thing - not in an aggressive way - I think he is telling me to move over I want to sit on that blanket
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Suffers from Title Envy

how do you teach a rabbit to stop doing that!?

do you train them like you would a dog? (i highly doubt it)
do you raise your voice and tell them no?

Or do you just give the rabbit what they want!

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 07:19 PM
is a little "special"

The meaning depends on the rabbit- Some buns do that when they have had enough of being held, and for some its acually a sign of affection in a way. Like, you know how when you give your bun a blankie and the dig at it to "fluff" it to get comfy? Thats what they do to your clothing, but when they bite and scratch at it they dont relize that there is a person underneath! So if he doesnt seem to be annoyed at you when he is doing it, then he might just be trying ot get comfy.
I dont think theres a way to get them to stop it- I just give in LOL
And if I dont, I have some nasty scratches and bruises to prove it!

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."

Tags
digging rabbit