Digging Problems - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-10-2004, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Question Digging Problems

My bunny LOVES to dig! I know its nromal for Bunnies to dig but she doe it at 4 and 5 am! And her cage is in my room and she will keep at it for like 30minutes and I can't Sleep! I've tried adding more bedding because she digs down to the bottom, which makes all the noise. So I added more bedding, made her dig MORE and it got all over! SO I added less and that did nothing! I also tried putting down a towl, thinking maybe she doesn't like the bedding or the bottom but she just dug at the and tried to chew it up! Is this boredom? Or what can I do to make her stop or atleast lessen it so I can sleep!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Owned By
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lola The Bunny, 2 standard poodles 1 toy poodle 1 chihuahua and Vandy the QH

*In loving memory of Bull's Eye, who crossed the rainbow bridge august 2002*

If Tears Could Build A Staircase,
And Memories a lane,
I'd Walk Right up to Heaven,
And Bring you home again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-10-2004, 01:33 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Yep, its most likely out of boredom. Bunnies also love to chew on towels, so thats not going to help. What kind of setup do you have for your bun, and how often does she get to come out of her cage? Is she spayed?

Rats have rights...& mice too!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-10-2004, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Her cage set up is like one side is her litter box and food adn water bottle, then the other side is her little house dealy adn some empty space with a chew toy. I have a little area set up like a 3 ft by 4 3ft box about (puppy pen) so she can go in/out of her cage, and she can come out of that when ever I'm in my room. But she hardly digs during the day its always like 4 or 5 in the morning. No, she's not spayed yet

Owned By

And Memories a lane,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-10-2004, 01:50 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Spaying will probably help calm her down. Bunnies are most active at dawn and dusk so her behavior is normal. Do you feed her in the morning? Mine tend to start chewing on the bars when they know they will be fed soon. They are major creatures of habit.

Rats have rights...& mice too!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-10-2004, 01:53 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I'd say to get her spayed and see if she keeps it up, how old is she?

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-22-2004, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

(Sorry its taken me awhile to reply) Not sure exactly but real young, she was just old enought to leave her mom when I got her which was early september

Owned By

And Memories a lane,
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-23-2004, 10:48 AM
Adolescent Pup

Part of it may be boredom, the other part is that rabbits just love to dig! Even a happy, well-adjusted, spayed, rabbit with plenty of things to do will dig. You might consider geting a cage with wire on the bottom and just putting resting pads in the cage so she does not get sore feet from the wire. Then she cannot dig at the bedding. Those type of cages are more sanitary, too. You can still have the litterbox in the corner. Or is that what she is digging at? Baby bunnies are pretty hyper compared to adults, too, so once she is older and spayed she may settle down a lot.

Miyabita Designs
Affordable, custom, hand-coded websites, plus graphics

Usagi no Tsukiyo
A well of rabbit information

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2004, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

She digs at the shacings, I don't tihnk she likes them because I'll have them all nice and spread out thne she pushes them all in a corner and starts digging at nothing

Owned By

And Memories a lane,
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2004, 09:01 AM
Part of the Pack

Check busybunny.com they have the best toys!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2004, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

ok thanks

Owned By

And Memories a lane,
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-25-2004, 08:09 AM
Adolescent Pup

I don't think it is that she does not like them. Rabbits just love to dig and pile things up. Once they have dug so far, they want to keep digging and make a burrow, but of course they cannot dig through the cage. You might consider some supervised time outside in a large cage without a bottom (just a top and sides). Then she can dig around a bit in real dirt. Just keep an eye on her so she does not dig her way out. If she starts to, move the cage to a new location or fill in the hole and pack it tightly.

Miyabita Designs
Affordable, custom, hand-coded websites, plus graphics

Usagi no Tsukiyo
A well of rabbit information

Tags
baby bunnies, chew toy, litter box