Do Rabbits and Apples Mix? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Do Rabbits and Apples Mix?

I have a 9 month old Lop, and she LOVES to eat. Lettuce, Hay, pellets, anything she can fit her teeth around.

Are apples okay for bunnies to eat?

Any suggestions for Healthy Snack?

Thanks,
Sara

(My little stinker breaking into the food bucket.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 07:02 PM
Paw Talk's prodicle son .

Well my Schneeball does not mind the odd piece of apple every now and again, he also likes a end of banana too, but I dont give him fruits regularly as his diet is mainly pellets.

Bunnys poop can go a bit soft if you give them to much fruit and veg.

= ^ _ ^ =

Toky-Ohki

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* sings *

He's in the Jailhouse now , he's in the Jailhouse now , well I told him once or twice .

To stop chewing wood and Pooping nice , he's in the jailhouse now.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! Have any suggestions for bunnies that could lose a little weight?? I might say that my Snow Bunny, Zoey is getting a little extra round... heh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 07:11 PM

Carrots, parlsey, spinach, artichokes, and brocoli are all pretty healthy snacks for rabbits. Lettuce can cause diarrhea and doesn't have a lot of nutritional value. Apples, like most fruits, are great to feed in moderation. Moderation is the key to almost all diet related things.
But then again, my Harry looooves his medicine, and that's his favorite treat.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 07:13 PM

Red face

Yep I agree with Natalie, best in moderation..
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 07:17 PM

Ours get veggies every morning and their pellets at night, and unlimited hay. As far as apples, our love them, but they get it sparingly, too much sugary fruits aren't good for them.
What kind of lettuce are you feeding your bun? As regular iceberg lettuce isn't great for them and as NO nutritional value what so ever.

Just remember that a straight pellet and hay diet isn't the healthiest and buns need their veggies and occasional fruits to maintain a healthy nutritional balance

For example ours love:
broccoli (mostly leaves and stems and the occasional flower part)
Romaine lettuce
Escarole
Sprouts
Corn on the cob (small ears)
Carrots (2-3 x week max is good)
Carrot tops
Collard Greens (seem to be one of their very favorite)
Spinach (but only sparingly and in very small amounts) too much can be harmful
Blueberries, Strawberries, Apples, Oranges (just to name a few fruits)
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 07:22 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Everyday our bunnies get pellets as well as three different veggies. They especially love romaine lettuce, carrots, kale, and brocolli. I feed small amounts of fruit a couple times a week...mine love apples and bananas best .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

Thanks so much guys, that sounds great.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 07:46 PM

Ohw I would'nt worry about a little bit of Rotundness in a bunny, = ^ _ ^ = Toky-Ohki is a right biggun, = ^ O ^ = Mew !

Toky-Ohki has a rather boring and Mundane diet she refuses anything but her Rabbit flakes and wastes the green pellets and oats, I cant believe she has got so big when she wastes so much of her food anyway.

problem is barbara will not empty the bowl of discarded oats and they just build up and up, so barbara refils and she gets overfed, I left Toky-Ohki at her house when I left, but if she does'nt listen to me soon I will claim Toky-Ohki back.

=^o^= Schneeball will eat absolutely anything going.

Brussel tops and sprouts, Carrots, Bread, fruit and Fibre, I wonder what he will pilfer next, I allready have a problem with him jumping in the dustbin in the kitchen and stealing Malteasers at Grandpa Rex's

=^u^= Pfffffft

* sings *

He's in the Jailhouse now , he's in the Jailhouse now , well I told him once or twice .

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Zoey will also eat ANYTHING. Whenever I refill her dish (once a day, with unlimited hay) she dives into it like she hasn't eaten in months. My dad also gives her the bottom of the bag of lettuce, which is probably iceberg. I'll have to tell him to get some better veggies and fruits for her.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 07:33 AM

Schneeball is exactly the same, he stands up and follows the bagof pellets around and hes at the bowl before the food is, its like I dont feed him or something, hes always on the scrounge.

Cheeky little, Grow your own Veg thats what I do, home grown brussel tops and carrots.

* sings *

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 01:55 PM

Lola will eat just about anytihng as well. Has anyone tried cucumbers? Lola loves them, more then apples, carrots, lettuce, pellets ect. My friend breeds Mini Rexesand she says none of her buns will touch them, but Lola loves them, guess it just depends on the bun.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 04:38 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaBunny
Lola will eat just about anytihng as well. Has anyone tried cucumbers? Lola loves them, more then apples, carrots, lettuce, pellets ect. My friend breeds Mini Rexesand she says none of her buns will touch them, but Lola loves them, guess it just depends on the bun.
Sake LOVES cucumbers! Puchiko won't touch them...and Sakura eats them, but doesn't like them nearly as much as lettuce and apples.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 08:04 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

If your bunny has a weight problem, try giving her tree branches. Apple and willow are best but many others work as well. My rabbits also like lilac. Not all branches are good for rabbits so check with your vet first to make sure they are safe. Cut branches about 1 inch in diameter into about 10 inch lenghts and wash like you would wash fruit. I put my extra wood in the freezer to keep it fresh and green. Rabbits like to eat the bark and play with the sticks and they provide added fiber to their diet.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-30-2005, 01:31 PM

^^^I'll have to try that out!

BTW my bunnies always love Kale, which is also really good for them (according to the House Rabbit Society chapter here in Ontario).

Tags
collard greens, house rabbit, house rabbit society, mini rex, rabbit society, romaine lettuce