Doesnt anyone here have angoras? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 08:04 AM Thread Starter

Doesnt anyone here have angoras?

I have been going around (im a forum junkie!) and no one seems to be able to answer a very simple question I have about my new angora rabbit.

Bedding sticks to his fur when it is long and really makes a mess! I have got to find something else! I use aspen chips.

AND do i have to shave the rabbit regularly? I love long hair and I would rather not shave it. From what I read its a common practice to do it every 3 to 5 months.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 09:02 AM
Adolescent Pup

Hi, i used to know a lady who kept angoras, to stop the fur becoming matted she used to groom them everyday even if it was just a quick brush. I wouldn't say you would have to shave him but rather clip every 3-4 months depending on how quick his hair grows. Once they've been clipped though you can keep them on normal bedding as it wont stick etc.

Charlie the cocker spaniel (Male)

R.I.P, Reggie and Moss (jirdy boys) gone but never forgotten
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~The soul is the same in all living creatures, although the body of each is different. Hippocrates~
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator

Hello!

I have a long haired rabbit, Barnaby my lionhead, and although I'm sure he's not as fluffy as an angora I have had the same problem as you with bedding. A lot of the types of bedding I tried stuck to his fur. It made a mess and he hated it, he'd always be pulling litter out of his fur.

So what I did is I now use these litter boxes...
http://www.rabbitstop.com/mm5/mercha...de=2LitterPans
If you notice in the picture they have a black metal grate that goes over the litter. Pee and poo falls through the grate to the litter underneith but bunny can't get to the litter.

Also, I don't use litter anywhere else in the cage, only in the litter box. They don't make a mess in the cage because they are all litter box trained I give them fleece blankets and dog beds to lay on if they want to be more comfortable, but a lot of the time they seem to prefur just laying on the bare plastic of the cage or out on the floor.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help. I am scared my bunnies wouldnt use that litter box because the could not feel litter under their feet!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator

Hmm I don't know. My rabbits know where to go because that's where I put their hay more so than where I put their litter. Anyways, all three of my rabbits used normal litter boxes for years before I switched and I had no problems switching them to the litter box with the grate. I really like that they don't have to ever stand in their pee or poop now and they never make a mess with litter anymore If you decide to try it out and your rabbits won't use it, you can always take the grate off and use it without it. The only problem I have with that box is that I wish it came in a bigger size, since I have a bonded trio and they all like to sit in the same box at the same time.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the input!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 08:35 PM
Rodentologist

Everyone I've known with angoras kept their hair shorter because with their grooming, etc, they didn't want to chance blockages and it really seems more comfortable to the buns themselves.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 09:57 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I have a French Angora .

I don't use bedding since I don't really see the point. If you use a litterbox, just have litter in there. I use Yesterday's News which is pelleted and not as likely to get caught in the wool.

As for shaving, French Angoras should NOT be shaved unless there's severe matting or something. I guess you could if you wanted to keep the coat short but trimming would be better in that case. Since you want to keep the coat long (I hope you're prepared for a TON of grooming, lol), don't worry about it. I'm not sure what articles you've been reading but it sounds like you're reading about other angora breeds. French Angoras are different in that they aren't typically shaved down or sheared. Instead, you pluck them. Clumps of wool get loose and you just pull the clumps out--if that makes sense. You'll see what I mean when you brush him .

By the way, keeping the coat long is fine (if you can brush him every day, de-matt him, etc.) but I would recommend at least keeping the fur trimmed in a couple areas. Keep it trimmed on his feet (I find that otherwise the wool there just gets dirty and matted--also, it's harder to clip the nails when not trimmed) and also near his "private" parts (you probably know why, haha).

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 07:43 AM Thread Starter

Thanks!

Sasami, hopefully me being a dog/cat groomer = me being a rabbit groomer!
Oh yeah, daily brushing sounds like a great bonding ritual. I brush my dogs everyday too.

Do you have any pictures of your angora? I have no idea what Charmin will look like with his fur back to normal. I have only seen him a solid hard, heavy mat, and naked!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 05:16 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratty_ratkins View Post
Thanks!

Sasami, hopefully me being a dog/cat groomer = me being a rabbit groomer!
Oh yeah, daily brushing sounds like a great bonding ritual. I brush my dogs everyday too.

Do you have any pictures of your angora? I have no idea what Charmin will look like with his fur back to normal. I have only seen him a solid hard, heavy mat, and naked!
I don't really have any recent pictures but these were taken in the last few years at least:

The second one is the most recent--it was taken about a year ago, I think .

I don't show her or anything so sometimes I do trim her wool a bit. But it grows back really fast anyways .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Tags
angora rabbit, brushing, litter, shaving