Dog and bunnies - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Dog and bunnies

Hi!

Can a dog (puppy) and bunnies become friends?
Or should I keep them separated at ALL times so that the bunnies won't be scared?

One of my bunnies is a littlebit nervous, but the other one is a tuff rabbit :p
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 11:36 PM
Super Moderator

My dog loves my rabbits. I had the rabbits first and got my dog when he was 9 weeks old, so he grew up around the rabbits. I made sure to teach him to respect them and that he has to be gentle around them.

I trust my dog around my rabbits, he's very sweet to them. However, I always make sure to supervise when they are together. I never let the dog near the rabbits when I'm not right there with them. No matter how sweet the dog, accidents can always happen.

So I'd say yes rabbits and dogs can be friends, but just to be safe I would never leave them alone unsupervised.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 08:30 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

We have two dogs. One chases rabbits and can't be near an uncaged bunny. The other (my dog, thankfully!) is perfect with the rabbits and basically ignores them (sometimes they bully her, though). Both dogs were raised around rabbits since we already had several. So it really comes down to the individual animals.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Ok
The dog breeds I'm thinking of is Chihuahua and Pug !
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 01:41 PM
Betta Bomb

My dog never saw a rabbit until he was 10 or 11 years old. Dogs can be trained to be gentle, mine was. I wouldnt let the bunny be cornered by the dog, let the bunny come to the dog on its own terms. Acacia and Coco are good friends and outside in the back Kaysh will even duck under Coco's paws! Does not matter the breed, both chi and pugs are toy/non-sporting . . . Terriers, like my Coco were bred to chase rodents and such. So I wouldnt pay much mind to them not getting along.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Ok
It shouldn't be a problem then.
My bunnies are afraid of the family dog (a miniature poodle), but he's very noisy and etc.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 06:28 PM
Betta Bomb

Well they might not not approach the new dog. A yappy poodle is probably not good to have around the bunnies often as their senstive hearing may become affected! :0
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

But he doesn't bark a lot, he's just.. noisy :p
I don't think they liked his "breathing" xD
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 07:03 PM
Playful Pup

I have a dog and everything is just fine - he respects Oliver's space, and he always knows the cat is boss, too, I think he feels similarly about the bun. Roy, my dog, is also pretty old and really mellow, which I think is important. That said, I'm getting ready to have a roommate and he'll come with a pug - the pug is pleasant, but neither the bunny nor the dog care for him, at all.

He moves too fast, makes too much noise (not barking, but just general pug noises) and is far too close to the ground. He's a pleasant enough puglet, but I don't think the cat nor the bun will ever learn to appreciate him - it's just not in the cards.

Roy, Oliver and Doris.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 01:23 PM
Betta Bomb

LOL to puglet!! Pugs can be either real cute or real ugly and annoying. Unfortunately that's how it is with flat nosed dogs!! lol
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 04:10 PM
is a little "special"

Awww, my flat-nosed dog isn't ugly! LOL

Chuey is kinda scared of Smudge (Smudge used to chase him around and bite him...). Sometimes they try to play though: Smudge will come up to him and sniff him, and do a little head shake/binky and run off really fast. Then Chuey gets into it, and he will bark and do his little "play bow" trying to get Smudge to play, and Smudge will dash around the room again. I think Smudge knows that poor Chuey isn't fast enough to catch him!

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 07:53 AM
Super Moderator

That's cute Jess!

Ziggy (bunny) and Kit (dog) play chase too. But Kit is the one who always gets chased lol. He loooooves being chased. He'll just sit around in front of Ziggy until Ziggy gets in the mood to chase him, then the two of them go nuts running all over our apartment, and it's always the bunny chasing the dog. It's really funny. I need to try to take a video of it but they move so fast that it's hard to keep them in focus.

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 02:07 PM
Betta Bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
Awww, my flat-nosed dog isn't ugly! LOL

Sorry!! I meant flat flat faced ones like english bulldogs and pugs!! lol not shih tzu's!! I always was fancy to them. ")
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I think most flat nosed dogs = cute!
I like the pug-ish dogs :p
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 04:01 PM
is a little "special"

Haha, that's OK Amanda!

That is adorable, Michelle! Chuey would get all sad when Smudge would try to chase him, and he would keep wanting to go outside to escape Smudge LOL. He isn't very secure in his manliness I guess I don't let Chuey chase after Smudge though, because I don't want Smudge to get freaked out. So their playing doesn't end up going very far LOL!

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."

Tags
dog, rabbit