Dude - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Dude

As I mentioned in "the furminator" thread, Dude's newest cage mate Ruby passed away last week. It was a very rough few days especially for my daughter. Dude was ok at first but now he is starting to hide in his cubby more. I can tell he is sad again. My daughter REALLY wants another friend for Dude (so do I) so I did some more research trying to find him a friend. The Idaho Humane Society has 2 buns but they are bonded and I don't want to break them up. I called all the stores around that sell bunnies to ask what they had. I even went to few of them to see them in person. I also made contact with a few local breeders. One had a lionhead doe that was ready to go this past weekend so we went to check her out. I had never seen a lionhead in person and oh my gosh, she was the cutest little thing ever! We ended up taking her home.

We introduced her and Dude in the bathtub like we did last time with Dude and Ruby. All went well... Dude even gave her a kiss on the nose. We then put them together in his pen and it went well for about 30 minutes until she started to get really hyper, chasing him and nibbling at his back end. Poor Dude's heart was racing. We had to remove her from the pen. It broke our heart to bring her back to the breeder the next day. After talking with her, she didn't think it would work out with the lionhead and Dude. She was too scared and skittish. My daughter even had a hard time holding her because she was so squirmy. The good news is that the breeder found a Holland Lop in one of her litters that is very calm and will be ready to come home with us in a few weeks. My daughter got to hold her and she had no problem. This little one's demeanor is more like Dude's, very calm. I think the lionhead just had too much energy for him. After having the lionhead for one day, I would love to have one someday! They are so different looking and just too cute!

The other thing that has happened in meeting this breeder is that I told her my concern about Dude's shedding problem and how I think that *maybe* Pip and Ruby died from a hairball because they would groom him so much. She told me about a tool she uses to remove the loose hair and I went and got one yesterday. It's a grooming stone that is meant for horses. It almost looks like a piece of styrofoam. I must say, that it worked wonders on Dude yesterday. I brought him outside and started running this stone over him and the hair just came flying out. My pants were covered with his hair when I was done. It worked better than just using my hand on him. I'm excited that I finally found something that works on him.

The Holland we will be getting reminds me of Pip. The Holland is a broken black just like Pip was......... only Pip was a mini rex. Now we are thinking about names. I hope she takes to Dude better than the lionhead did. He really needs some company!

~ Debrya
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 11:47 AM
Will It Ever Change?

awww can't wait for pics!

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 02:23 PM

h ope it works great!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 06:13 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

I am so happy to hear that you found a good match for Dude! It's too bad that the other little girl didn't work out but you did the right thing. You have to put Dude's needs first.
While Dude is waiting for his new friend give him kisses for me!
I will look for that stone at our PetSmart. They have a large horse section. I am excited too. I am always so worried about them shedding.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny

Tags
cage mate, holland lop, humane society, mini rex