Dude got a new friend - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-19-2006, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Dude got a new friend

So Dude finished off with his meds for the e-coniculi about a month ago. He is still inside even though the weather has cooled down.

So yesterday, my hubby had to go to the feed store to get dog food. When he came home, he asked me to go out to his car to get his bag and mentioned to "not look in the box that was on the passenger seat". Well duh, that was quite the invitation to look! So I go out and open the box and there was a bunny.

I feel kinda bad cuz I had some pretty mixed emotions. One, I wasn't sure I was ready for a new bunny. I still miss Pip a lot and hm... well I don't know. Two, what if Dude and this new bunny don't bond? He is so mellow and with him being unstable with his twisted head, I would hate to see another bunny bully him. Three, it wasn't a mini rex like Pip was. I know... how petty is that? I feel horrible! Four, this new bunny obviously wasn't held a lot... she is so skittish! How the heck am I gonna bond with her if she runs from me?

So my hubby didn't get the reaction from me that he should have and so he felt bad for getting her. So first thing was first.... we had to see if she and Dude would get along. We brought them both to the bath tub. Poor Dude could not get his footing and was so unstable and just rolling everywhere. We put a towel down and that helped some. Observing them... she didn't seem to want much to do with him. But then they got closer and seemed fine. She was in a cage with her brother at the feed store so maybe she was ok with Dude since she was used to being with other bunnies??? Dude seemed ok with her.

So then we put them both into the rabbit pen. Observing them.... Dude kept mounting her. He is neutered so no worries there. Watching him do this was kinda bizarre cuz Pip would mount him more than he would mount her. Maybe he was just trying to establish dominance over the new bunny? I don't know. I was afraid she was gonna get hurt but it wasn't like she was stayng at one side of the pen away from him... so that was good.

So we left them together over nite and I checked on them once at 3am and they were fine. This new girl is quite the mess maker. She doesn't understand the concept of litter box! There was a pee puddle and poops everywhere! Grrrr.... I'm not sure how to train her to use the litter box... both Pip and Dude trained themselves... lucky for me.

So now I am more easy with the new edition. It seems that they are bonding fine so that is a major relief! She is a dutch bunny.... whch I have never had. From my bunny book, they look like they get pretty big... which is why I wanted a mini rex again. (I prefer the smaller bunnies.) She looks like a mismark. The white collar is perfect on her one side but is really thin on the other side. But she has a really cute face! My daughter was so excited to see dad bring home the bunny. Afterall, Pip was her bunny that died and she was devastated by that. Now we just have to think of a name.

I wish I could figure out how to post pics on here.

~ Debrya
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-19-2006, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

spay?

Well... my hubby said the girl at the feed store didn't know much about the bunnies there but she thought they were 8 weeks old. When he told me that yesterday, I was like whoa! Cuz she is pretty big for 8 weeks old! I just called the feed store and asked if anyone knew the age of the bunny. This girl told me she thought she was 4 months old! Holy cow! So now I'm all confused! That's a big difference! So now I don't know what to believe. I want to eventually get her spayed but don't want to do it too young. Any suggestions on when to do this when I'm not really sure how old she is???

Oh and I just did a little research on Dutch bunnies. Apparently they don't get as big as I thought! The pics in my rabbit book must be deceiving!

~ Debrya
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-19-2006, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claymatized
Oh and I just did a little research on Dutch bunnies. Apparently they don't get as big as I thought! The pics in my rabbit book must be deceiving!
I read your first post and was about to tell you the same thing - My Charlie is full grown and barely the size of a small cat. Their breed tends to only be about 4-5 lbs (Charlie is a little bit "fat and happy"). Rocko is only a few months old and is barely just 3 lbs.

She should come around fairly easily, Dutch's have great personalities - but be ready for that personality. You'll want to plan on having her spayed just for behavioral and health reasons - and it will definitely help with litter box training.

If your buns weren't fighting on the first day, you shouldn't have any trouble bonding them. Good Luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-19-2006, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I'm really curious to know what kind of behavioral issues I might see in her. This morning she was digging inside the cubby thing that Dude has. But she wasn't digging at the carpet... she was digging at the wall of it... LOL Are Dutch's diggers? Or is this just her? Makes me nervous that she will dig in the litter box if I ever get her trained to use it... LOL

She is still very skittish but she seems to be fairly mellow when I have her in my lap. She's like a lap dog. I watched tv for an hour this morning and she just sat there on my lap. She did a little snoozing but she just sat still. I can't get Dude to sit still on my lap so it was quite nice...

I wish I knew how old she was for sure... I'm just not sure when I should get her spayed.

I'm really happy that they seem to be getting along so great. Dude has been so lonely since Pip died. I know he likes having the company.

~ Debrya
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-19-2006, 01:26 PM

You could wait a few months, as long as it's done before a year or so, you'll be good. The 4 months is probably about right considering the size. As far as litter training, just add some hay in the corner of the pan so she can sit in it and eat, and she should take to it. If she digs and throws litter out of the pan, just try to tell her no. With the male I had, we had to drill holes in the pan and tie it to the cage b/c he would dig and try to dump the whole thing, he would pick it up with his teeth! He was a crazy boy. Good luck.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-19-2006, 03:12 PM

congrats on your new addition!

i love dutch bunnies - they are so cute!!! well, all bunnies are so cute actually! hehe! but i think you'll be real pleased to have a little dutch bunny. they are very sweet.

also, don't think that just cause she's skittish right now you can't bond with her. You certainly can! My little Sniffles was VERY skittish when she first got here, but with lots of love and attention she's now a little snuggly kisser. but she is pretty independent too. so don't be weary- things will be just fine

i had a problem with pics at first too. have you tried photobucket? it would be great to see your bunnies! they sound very cute, and i'm glad to hear they're getting on so well! yay!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-19-2006, 08:30 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

I am so happy for you guys! I have been wondering how Dude's been but I was afraid to ask. Is his head still pretty tilted? Your husband sounds like a wonderful man!
Please keep us posted on their bonding.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 01:27 PM

Charlie loves to dig his cardboard and straw mats, but I've never had a problem with him digging carpet. Rocko isn't as much of a digger as he is a chewer, but he keeps to his toys so no damage there either. Dutch's tend to be very outgoing (from others experience and my own), and I've found them to be quick learners when it comes to training. She'll probably be a little defiant until you get her spayed, but you seem to be on a great start if she's already sleeping in your lap - that's a happy bunny.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Well I'm happy to report that things are going GREAT!

The weather this afternoon was really nice so I decided to let her have her first trip to the front yard. It didn't seem like she had ever met grass before, it was like she wasn't sure what to do! I don't know how long she was in that small cage at the feed store. Dude's pen is pretty big... I think it is like 4'x8'... or at least close to that size. So she has lots of room but a big ole front yard to roam? She was in bunny heaven!

My daughter and I took her over to the side yard so we could keep her between us and the fence. I was only gonna let her play for a few minutes but she was enjoying herself so much that I decided to bring Dude out too. The new bunny did some pretty good donkey kicks and even a few flying leaps... and she even got some pep in her and started doing that crazy fast ripping thru the grass that bunnies like to do. She was so cute!

But then even cuter was how she was with Dude when we brought him out. His head is still pretty twisted or at least twisted enough that he still walks in circles a lot. Well he found the fence and walked along it til he got to the corner and then turned to follow the edge of the house and then turned around and went back and forth. New bunny just seemed to stay by him. We were shocked! By this time my hubby came out to watch them and he was surprised too at how much she stayed by him. Pip and Dude were quite bonded but when we would let them outside to play, she would go off and do her own thing. This new bunny just followed him around. Wow. Then she would come up to me and let me pet her. She even climbed onto my lap once!

She is so stink'n cute! And such a great friend for Dude! Boy did we get lucky! Now we just still need to name her! We are thinking of either Abby (Abigail) or Ruby. We were thinking of Dudette but nah... LOL I keep suggesting Penelope to my daughter but she says NO WAY! She keeps suggesting Bramble but that sounds too boyish to me. So I don't know. We are hoping to have an official name within the next few days...

Oh and I did put some hay in the back of the litter box and I think it is helping! I haven't seen any puddles all day!

~ Debrya
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 08:33 AM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

I am so happy for all of you especially Dude! It sounds like this little girl is just what your family needed.
Please keep us posted on all their adventures.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 10:50 AM

Yay! im so glad things are working out so perfectly! i think Bramble is a cute name for a girl or a boy bunny. But i also love the name Ruby. I'm sure whatever name you decide on will suit her just right
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 01:54 PM

I loves Happy Posts, and this is definetly one!
Great to hear all is going so well with the new bunny. Congratulations, and i look forward to seeing pictures

Tags
dog food, lap dog, litter box, litter box training, litter train, litter training, mini rex, sit still