E-cuniculi? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

E-cuniculi?

So last April, I had to put my bunny, Dude, down. He had a lot of complications from having E-cuniculi and he just wasn't gonna get any better.

I just got a call from my vet in regards to his girlfriend, Daisy. I brought Daisy in yesterday because she has been drinking and urinating a LOT... way more than she should. The vet took blood and urine samples. Anyways, just now on the phone, she said there are four things that could cause the excessive urination. One, a disease of the reproductive tract... but that is ruled out because Daisy is spayed. Two, bladder stones... but she is pretty sure that isn't it cuz she didn't feel anything when she did the exam. Three, a bacterial infection... but the urinanalysis came back negative for that. And four, E-cuniculi. Are you kidding me? The first thing I said was, "That is what Dude had." She said, "I know... " I don't get it... she doesn't have a head tilt or any loss of mobility in her back limbs. She said rabbits with E-cuniculi don't always have those symptoms. So now she is calling the lab to see if they have enough blood to run a titre.

I can't believe this. How can this happen twice? We got Daisy a long time after Dude was treated for the E-cuniculi. How is it that she could have gotten this too? I know I'm jumping the gun here... she hasn't even tested positive for it yet. Now I'm worried about his other girlfriend, Georgie.

<sigh>

~ Debrya
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 08:24 PM
Rodentologist

Cuniculi is pretty common and is easily transmitted among rabbits.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Yeah I understand that. What I don't get is that my vet told me that once Dude finished the treatment for it, he would no longer be contagious, so to speak. She had put Pip (his girlfriend at the time) on the same medication when he was diagnosed because it is so contagious. Unfortunately, Pip passed away unexpectedly while on the medication. Then we got Ruby for him because he was so depressed after losing Pip. Then Ruby died unexpectedly and we got Daisy. So a long time went by... he shouldn't have passed this on to her. Or could he have? Is the doctor wrong? Could he still have been contagious even after being treated for it?

Wow... again I'm jumping the gun... I still don't know if that is what is wrong with her!

~ Debrya
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 03:40 AM
Rodentologist

As far as I know, treating e. cuniculi does not make it non-contagious because the disease remains in the system. Many rabbits carry it systemically and do not seem to have problems with it. It's possible that Daisy brought it along with her from her point of origin as well.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 06:29 AM
Betta Bomb

Also, wouldnt where Dude was passed along and depression kicked in for Daisy- wouldnt this knock her immunity down a few notches? Im so sorry to hear and I hope they figure it out soon!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 07:54 AM
Super Moderator

I'm so sorry to hear about Daisy.

I think I heard before that somewhere around 80% of rabbits will test positive for EC. Some rabbits can test positive for it, but like Jennicat said, will have no negative symptoms because of it.

What about the possibility of diabetes? Diabetes causes animals to drink and urinate a lot.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Hm... yeah you guys are right. If she does end up having it, it doesn't necessarily mean that she contracted it from Dude. But it would definitely be unlucky that I could be plagued by this disease twice in such a short time.

Diabetes? I will definitely ask the vet about that if Daisy comes back negative for E-cuniculi. Thanks guys!

~ Debrya
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 08:46 AM
Rodentologist

http://www.hrschicago.org/cuniculifr.html

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Jennicat, that link isn't working for me. Wait, never mind... I got to the article in a round-about way. Thanks.

~ Debrya

Last edited by claymatized; 01-14-2010 at 11:33 AM. Reason: figured it out
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 11:28 AM
Rodentologist

Huh, that's weird, I clicked it just now and it loaded fine.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 04:10 PM
Part of the Pack

Our male rabbit Lucky has excess urine and is drinking a lot of water too. Our vet said that his liver enzymes are elevated (liver not functioning normal). For right now she has put him on milk thistle which he has been on for over a year. He was rechecked at Christmas and his enzyme level is at the same level as a year ago. He continues to eat well and is still active and happy. Maybe it could be that?
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 02:08 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I am still waiting to hear from my vet. As of Friday, the lab report hadn't come back yet. :/ I'm hoping that I will have an answer Monday. Thanks everyone!

~ Debrya

Tags
e-cuniculi, excessive drinking, excessive urination