eat carpet - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-14-2009, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

Question eat carpet

My bunny starts to eat my carpet, how can I stop him? I put him back to his cage if he eats my carpet, am i doing right? or how can I stop him? Any suggestions?
He is now running away from me.

Last edited by kakayee; 02-14-2009 at 03:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-14-2009, 05:49 PM
is a little "special"

If you have a squirt bottle, you can spray him with it. That what I did with Smudge for a while.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 09:00 PM

Thanks Jess this will help me alot with Nino as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 11:56 PM
Super Moderator

Rabbits can be VERY persistant when it comes to chewing on things they're not sapose too. Really, in my opinion, the best way to keep your stuff from being chewed up is to either find some way to keep the rabbits away from it, or only let them in that area when you're there to stop them if they start to chew. Otherwise my rabbits will wait untill I'm not looking and go to town on my stuff.

He's probably running away from you because he thinks your going to put him back in his cage. If you don't want him running from you, instead of doing something negative try distracting him with a toy or something that he can chew on. Reward him for chewing on the right things instead of punishing him when he does something wrong. Or teach him what "No" means, and reward him when he stops when you tell him too. I think that bunnies respond much better to positive reinforcment then negative, at least in my experience.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

I found out that if he is hungry, he would definitely eat my carpet, so for the past few days, I made sure that he eat something before he comes out. After awhile if he doesn't go back to his cage for food, I have to feed him. So far he hasn't eat my carpet, so hopefully that's the reason y.

I think it will take sometime before he stop running away from me. If I have treat in my hand he would definitely run and jump on to me, but once he eat that, immediately, run away again...
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 05:06 PM
is a little "special"

IMO, spraying them with a squirt bottle isnt nessacarily punishing them... It just kinda suprises them and they stop what theyre doing. Smudge acually likes my squirt bottle now... he thinks its a game!
Another thing that I found works really well is to clap when they are doing something noddy... Since buns naturally kinda freeze up and stop what theyre doing when they hear a loud noise, it gives you a chance to show them what they should be doing. Thats how I trained Smudge not to go in certain rooms- now what he hears me clap, he knows hes being noddy!

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 07:59 PM
Part of the Pack

yeah jess, I usually just clap or stop, but what michelle said, i think its better to reward them for positive stuff. good luck!

give your love no matter what.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 01:32 AM

spraying anything would be my last option... but if you can move away those stuff that you bunny wants to chew, much better..
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 03:55 PM
Playful Pup

My bunny does this - I put down 12"x12" ceramic tiles over the spot they are chewing. They are too heavy for a bunny to move so it forces them to find entertainment elsewhere. Once they have forgotten about it, I remove the tiles. Once they remember, back they go!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 02:04 AM

When Ella tries to chew on the carpet I just say NO, not screaming but in a different tone then I usually speak to her and she hasn't done it since.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

I did say no to him to, and stop doing the squirt bottle, because he isn't scare of it. but I found that he only do that when he is hungry, so yesterday he did it again, so i put him back to his cage and he immediately go to his bowl and started to eat, after that he came out again (I kept the door, so he doesn't feel like I'm punishing him) and didn't eat my carpet anymore.