eats all of the time - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 08:08 AM Thread Starter

eats all of the time

I was always told that rabbit should have an unlimited supply of hay. I think my newest angora might be the exception. She will set there and eat the hay until its gone. I put three large handfuls and she ate it all without even leaving it alone for a second!

This cannot be healthy for her! Has anyone ever experienced any thing like this?

How much hay do you think I should be giving her. I was wondering if I should give her a large handful twice a day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 09:11 AM
Super Moderator

Eating a lot of hay isn't unhealthy for them.

What kind of hay is it? What cut? I got my rabbits some 3rd cut the other week and they are eating it like crazy. Ziggy and Berry will sit in their litter box and eat it all and then beg for more. They didn't like the last batch I got them as much, and would always leave some without ever eating it.

I still give them unlimited even though they eat a ton of it. I fill their huge litter box in the morning and it's usually gone by the evening so I give them more. The litter box is about 3 or 4 times the size of one of my 4lb bunnies, so it's much more then a few handfuls that they're eating. I've never heard of rabbits getting sick or fat from eating too much hay, but eating a lot of it is good for their GI tract and their teeth and it gives them something to do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 01:05 PM
Rodentologist

That means that she IS healthy. I feed my rabbits and guinea pigs as much hay as they will eat -- my cage of five rabbits will eat almost a flake every day.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

oh, thank you! neither one of my rabbits eats THIS much hay!

I dont know what cut it is, but its oxbow timothy and its really soft and green. smells soooo fresh
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 09:03 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

It's not unhealthy but I wanted to say that my angora does the same thing! She eats hay 24/7. It's gotten quite expensive, haha! Sometimes I cheat and give her grasses and other greens from outside to save on hay .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 09:54 AM
Betta Bomb

Recently my local pet store began carrying Oxbow products and I started buying the Oxbow hay because I was too lazy to go out to Walmart where they sell half mega bags for the same price as Oxbow in Pet City...I bought the Meadow Hay and it was all scented lovely with crazy flowers or something and Acacia LOVED it. Last night mom picked me up the Oxbow Timothy and the texture is nice!! Akina even began eating it again!!! Happy Amanda

Tags
hay, rabbit