Emergency?? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

Emergency??

My rabbit has not been eating this evening. I AM FREAKING OUT. He keeps laying down on his stomach and wont even eat a treat. I think it might be GI Stasis because I see him going into the litter box and sometimes even laying down in there. He looks so sad and miserable. I am so upset. If he is not better in the morning I am going to have to get him to the vet.

For the night I took the pellets out of his cage to encourage him to eat his greens and hay. He has plenty of water.

Has anyone ever heard of this? Is there anything I can do to help him through this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 10:49 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Call an emergency vet.

http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/f76/h...vet-40396.html

Rabbit Hairballs: Fact or Ficition - VeterinaryPartner.com - a VIN company!

Quote:
Treating GI Stasis
The first and most important thing to do is learn to recognize the early signs of GI problems and treat your rabbit accordingly or get him or her to your Rabbit Vet before things get worse.

Signs Of GI Stasis

feces strung thickly together with hair (from grooming)
decreasing or sudden lack of appetite for both water and food
periodic soft, pudding-like stools followed by erratically shaped fecal pellets
on-again/off-again diarrhea
on-again/off-again diarrhea in combination with irregular shaped poops
Nursing Your Rabbit Through GI Stasis

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-05-2007, 07:39 AM Thread Starter

Well I couldnt wait (its not like I was going to be able to sleep anyway) so I took my rabbit to an emergency vet. The doctor on staff seemed like she didnt know too much so I am glad that I am knowledgable on these things. She gave Jellybean some fluids, Buprinex for the stomach pain and Oxbow Critical Care.

This morning he is back to eating some hay. He hasnt drank any water or eaten his veggies but at least he is eating hay. He had a couple dark droppings in his litter box also. I think after work I am going to go back to the vet and pick up the Cisapride.

I am just happy everything is getting back to normal! Thanks for listening!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-05-2007, 08:01 AM
Super Moderator

I hope Jellybean is feeling better soon!

Tags
emergency vet, litter box