Evil Bunny hormones and why getting your rabbit fixed is important - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Evil Bunny hormones and why getting your rabbit fixed is important

So many questions about bunnies come down to one - Is your rabbit spayed/neutered?

So rather then type out the importance of fixing rabbits over and over again - I figured I'd make a seperate post about it to.

If you're trying to bond rabbits, regardless of sex, all parties involved (all rabbit parties!) should be fixed prior to bonding. The reason for this is simple - because rabbit hormones are evil!

Hormones can make rabbits moody and aggressive and generally just not fun to be around for other rabbits. Unspayed females are often very moody and cage aggressive - which means they will fight to defend their cage, both humans and other rabbits. Male rabbits that are unfixed will constintly mount things - other bunnies and slippers alike! Male rabbits that are unfixed will rarely accept other males as buddies, resorting to fighting with them rather then being friends. And of course - male/female unfixed pairs may get along the best, but will result in a huge collection of little bunnies!

Fixing rabbits greatly reduces behavioral problems. It usually greatly reduces or eliminates annoying behaviors such as urine spraying, cage aggression, aggression in general, and humping.

Fixing rabbits is VERY helpful in getting your bun to faithfully use their litterbox. I have literally seen shelter rabbits go from almost never using their boxes before being spayed/neutered - to almost never having any accidents after being fixed!

Along with being helpful with bonding, and behavior - it is important to spay female rabbits because unspayed females have very high rates of reproductive (notable uterine and mammory) cancers. Some say that up to 80% of unspayed female rabbits will get cancer. Spaying them elminates this risk.

Yes, getting rabbits fixed is expensive - but dealing with cancer is MUCH more expensive and usually has a bad ending. If you compare prices - getting a female rabbit spayed usually costs between $90 - $400 depending on the vet. Males are usually less. But if your rabbit gets cancer and you decide to have it treated, prices are usually not less then $1,000.

Rabbits can make excellent pets, and fixing them goes a long way to improve the lives of the rabbits and owners alike! Unfixed rabbits often have an insationable urge to breed. They become frustrated when other rabbits arn't around. Fixed rabbits are less aggressive, easier to clean up after, can be healthier, make better bonding candidates, and are better behaved.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

FAQ: Spaying and Neutering

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 05:32 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

You are 100% right! And bunnies will also try to mate with poor old male kitties if they are around. Teddy's hormones are still decreasing and Tyler cannot wait until they are gone.
It was pathetic how frustrated Teddy was before I could get him fixed. I felt awful for him! I was so glad I didn't wait and scheduled his neuter before he even saw the vet for the first time. He was neutered a week after I got him. He is feeling less frustrated but he still is hormonal.
And the daughters of one of the women I work with had bunnies that they would show in 4H fairs. None of them were fixed. The girls are all passing away now. They are about 5 years old. One was definitely cancer the other they suspect cancer. It's terrible.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 06:03 PM
can't think of one, help

Yes, i did not have my Littlebunnygirl spayed and I wish I had. I do not know for sure that it was why she seemed to not thrive, and died last year at the age of probably between six and eight yo. I rescued her off the lawn many years ago. I would have felt better if I had done it, but she was sooooooooo tiny and fragile and wriggled any time anyone picked her up I didn't want anyone to mess with her and possibly injure her. My Littlebunnyboy has been nuetered, but he still has his moments even at his ripe old age.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 07:04 PM
Salamander Burgermuffin

Great post! This should be made a sticky..

My Furry Family
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 08:21 PM

I have to say I would have been worried with my first bunny. I was lucky because I didn't have to spay Tabby. When I found her it was obvious the time for spaying was long gone. She was a very old girl.
When we got our next bunny - well there were two a boy and a girl so we had no choice. By that time I was so confortable with my bunny vet I did not think twice.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 08:32 PM
is a little "special"

Smudge isnt fixed. I would like him fixed, but its soooo much $ (my parents wont pay for it) and Im scared something would happen to him. Besides mounting stuff occasonally, he has no behavior problems, has never bitten, is litter box trained, and loves other small animals. I agree tho its very important to fix buns- especially females. I guess Im just trying to cover up my guilt, lol.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 09:59 PM

If he is being good and not near girl bunnies I don't see why you have to feel guilty. I think you are a good bunny mom.
I can understand worrying about them being operated on. I am so glad that I found a vet I can really trust. It's much easier to have them done when you aren't worried.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Yeah, I would be nervous still taking one of my buns in for surgery! It's soooo important to find a vet you trust!

Jess, your great with Smudge! Oveously it's the owner's decision if they should get their buns fixed or not - and since Smudge is older, well behaved, and not a female - your decision not to get him fixed is understandable.

I didn't mean for this to bash people who decide not to get their bunnies fixed, for whatever reasons. It's just really helpful in some cases, such as bunnies with behavioral or litterbox problems, bonding problems, and females (as I stated above)

I just get sad when I hear about people getting rid of their bunnies, or not letting them out to play or just having a hard time with their rabbits because they are aggressive or not litterbox trained when getting them fixed would probably help and make them great pets. Also I think it is very important in females because not having them spayed can shorten their lifespans so much! Unspayed bunnies do pass on at younger ages (5ish) very often, when if spayed they can live much longer lives (10 or older sometimes, that's double or more the lifespan!).

I just love to see all the bunnies happy and healthy! *Binkies!!*

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2007, 09:56 AM
is a little "special"

Thanks for understanding. Ya, I do see alot of people getting rid of their buns cause of behavior problems and all, and my first bun (female) probably died of reproductive cancer. She was only 4. So, again, it is VERRRRRY important to get buns fixed, especially the girlies!
*Binkies too- Higher than Dragonrain!*

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2007, 01:30 PM
Salamander Burgermuffin

Its ok jess, Hoppity isnt fixed either, i'd like to get him fixed, but that would mean a 2 hour trip to the city and a stay in a hotel, then another 2 hour drip back after surgery.. i think it would all just be too stressful for him. But hes a good lil bun and i haven't seen him mount anything yet, so were good. i would definitely have him fixed before we got another rabbit tho. as cute as those baby buns are, i don't wouldn't want any uh-oh litters, that i would have trouble finding homes for.

My Furry Family
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2007, 06:38 PM
Paw Talk's prodicle son .

I agree Bunnies are Evil and * sings * " B b b bad to the bone "

Especialy Schneeball , you should see the modifications I have had to make to his hutch just to keep him under control , and he has been nobbled.

Oh hang on you can see it in my Siggy.

* sings *

He's in the Jailhouse now , he's in the Jailhouse now , well I told him once or twice .

To stop chewing wood and Pooping nice , he's in the jailhouse now.

Tags
box trained, litter box, litter box trained