excessive shedding, enough is enough. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Turbo's mommy.

excessive shedding, enough is enough.

Turbo's head started sheading like crazy! so of course, i brush all of the excess fur out. this was about two weeks ago...to this day, he still will shed if i brush it. His mid back area is shedding the same way his head does. Call me crazy, i thought they were supposed to shed during the summer and grow thicker coats during the winter?

anything this could be caused by? skin irritation or something?

is this normal?

Turbo Bunny

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 04:01 PM
can't think of one, help

Sounds like he's molting, they do that. My little guy seemed to be in a constant revolving state of molt. Different parts of his body at diff times. He was always shedding.

Vicki

Rainbow, Abbles, Carmy, Kissy, Peaches, Cream, (kitties) and Littlebunny boy (elder bunny)

the pic is the last one of my meecee kitty (5/9/89 - 1/9/08)
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Turbo's mommy.

yeah, turbo has managed to get what looks like a dar spot on his back because all of the lighter hair came out ... as long as he isn't in any danger, it'll be fine. you know, now that you mention it ... his head isn't so bad compared to that one spot on his back...

Turbo Bunny

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 09:07 PM
Betta Bomb

Sounds like he's molting. Acacia molts about 2-3 times in the year.Its especially terrible in the summer! But yea, just make sure he gets some kittie lick stick. Its flavored like molasses so bunnies love it and basically it prevents hairballs in cats, in bunnies it keeps things moving during the molt! Turbo is how old now?
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Turbo's mommy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple-Hops View Post
Sounds like he's molting. Acacia molts about 2-3 times in the year.Its especially terrible in the summer! But yea, just make sure he gets some kittie lick stick. Its flavored like molasses so bunnies love it and basically it prevents hairballs in cats, in bunnies it keeps things moving during the molt! Turbo is how old now?
10 months, his ticker is up to date.

where do i find this kittie lick stick?
anywhere locally or do i order it online?

Turbo Bunny

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 01:25 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I actually wouldn't feed anything like that, so much sugar seems unhealthy. You can find sugar-free dried papaya at health food stores and some pet stores, that's a healthier option that'll have the same effect .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Turbo's mommy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami View Post
I actually wouldn't feed anything like that, so much sugar seems unhealthy. You can find sugar-free dried papaya at health food stores and some pet stores, that's a healthier option that'll have the same effect .
sugar free dried papaya...hmm
seems legit.
knowing turbo though, hes not going to eat it unless its sweet...
maybe i can rub a little banana on it or something ...

Turbo Bunny

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 02:39 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Haha, well, my rabbits all love it! It's sweet, just without added sugar. If he won't touch it, maybe try getting a low sugar variety instead .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Turbo's mommy.

i'll give it a try.

Turbo Bunny

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 08:11 PM
Betta Bomb

Well theres no sugar in it. But in any case, I tried papaya but they wont touch it, since Turbo is all young and easily influenced- convince him he likes it!
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Turbo's mommy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple-Hops View Post
Well theres no sugar in it. But in any case, I tried papaya but they wont touch it, since Turbo is all young and easily influenced- convince him he likes it!
he's like a child. i can annoy him until he eats it just to shut me up. he's verrrryyy smart.
he's very umm picky when it comes to foods though. if i recall correctly, he ate some dried papaya out of a trail mix bag. he eats nuts, fruit, basically anything out of a trail mix bag...with out the m&m's of course no chocolate for my chocolate bunny

Turbo Bunny

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 08:43 PM
Rodentologist

The nuts aren't a great idea for bunnies, but the dried fruit without sugar is a good treat.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Turbo's mommy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennicat View Post
The nuts aren't a great idea for bunnies, but the dried fruit without sugar is a good treat.
yeah, i heard nuts aren't great for them. just wanted to confirim my theory. i'll get him some dried papaya my next trip to smoothie king

Turbo Bunny

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 04:58 AM
Newborn Pup

I would opt for the Oxbow Papaya tablets.

They are called... Papaya Fruit Plus Tablets. Comes in a bottle with 90 tablets.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 04:59 AM
Newborn Pup

Also do you use a Furminator? If a rubber brush isn't getting all the hair off, you might want to get a Furminator. I believe it is the purple one that works on bunny fur.

Tags
shedding