Experience with Pasteurella?? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Experience with Pasteurella??

Our new rabbit now has pasteurella. I have done some research on this respiratory disease but would like to know from others who have gone through this experience what to expect. She was not taking to her oral medication very well...would just let it drool out. She is very snuffly and tries to clear her nose a lot. It is red and swollen and her fur is crusting around her nose. When and if it goes away...is it something that returns often? Does other rabbits seem to catch it? We got Molly for company for our three year old rabbit Lucky...had been bonding them which was going great...and now they have to be separated. What does our future hold?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 05:55 PM

There is no treatment(yet) to cure "pasteurella" except antibiotics and that mainly helps keep pneumonia away. Force feed those antibiotics!!!Make sure he's in a well ventilated area, keep him separeated(you knew that), reduce stress, and super clean w/ bleach drinking bottle(every day). Your main worry is pneumonia! which Pasteurella is a precurser to, but not always! Most breeders cull animals w/ this illness, I don't cull at all and have had luck w/ getting rid of this sickness. Hope all goes well, sorry to inform you of this,also there is an antibiotic you can put in water....Terramycin and Neo-terramycin which are broad spectrum antibiotics powders, which means you can give one solid week once a month, use a teaspoon of the powder in every 5 gallons of water definely give to other rabbit and ask vet if you can use in conjuction w/ it's meds. You can find this at feed store make sure its the water-soluble powder.Hope I was helpful
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 06:07 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

I am sorry to hear about your bunny. I agree with Torigrrrl - make sure that she gets the meds. What do they have her on? My Tabby took baytril and she LOVED it. Teddy had to use Baytril when he hurt his ear - he also LOVED it. He always wanted more. Although it did take a day for him to realize it was yummy.
I am not 100% sure that Tabby had pastuerella but she did have a head tilt and was rather sneezy when we first found her. Her sneezing got better but not her head tilt. She was a very happy bunny and lived for months. But we think that she was very old when we found her and I have no idea how long she was outside on her own.
I believe that with love and good vet care she will just be fine.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

She is on baytril and chloramphenicol drops for her eyes and ears. We got a larger size syringe (?) with a different tip that is easier to use for the oral drops so this is going much better now. We give her a chaser of applesauce. Our vet has also given instructions to give her plain yogurt as well...which I didn't question as to why? Thanks for the bleach tip...nothing was mentioned about that by our vet and that is something that I don't do.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator

Yogurt has live bacteria cultures in it that can help restore the gut flora in the digestive tract - because antibiotics usually kill off good bacteria as well as bad, they can kill off the natural bacteria found in the gut that help to digest food, and that can cause digestion problems which can be very serous in rabbits. You can also buy Probiotics for rabbits which is usually a powder that you add to their water, it's a culture of bacteria that helps restore gut flora and can help with digestive issues.

I'm glad to hear she is taking her medicine better now. I was going to suggest that if you were still having problems, you could try mixing the meds in with something yummy such as applesauce.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 06:50 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

I used bene bac for Tabby. I have given that to the other buns from time to time - whenever they were under any stress.
I think I got it from Drs Foster and Smith catalog. It was under the kitty section. Only Oliver and Ophelia won't gobble it up. For them I smoosh it on their fur so they have to lick it off.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator

How's Molly doing? Is she feeling any better?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 10:16 PM

The first rabbit I ever owned has pasturella. I thought it was strange when he was sneezing, but didn't really clue in until he started "crying" from his right eye. We hit the vet, and the first antibiotic didn't work. It stopped the illness' progression, but didn't cure it. He was moved to baytril, which seemed to get rid of it. Unfortunately, due to my newbie-stupidity, the bacteria settled into a small abscess in his nose. We battled with it for the next 2 years, and he finally succumbed to it this past summer. Other methods used were eye drops, eye creams, and two nose flushes. If the snot gets trapped around the fur in the nose, gently restrain with a towel and then wipe with a warm, damp cloth. We would periodically wipe the eye that bothered him. He had really good months before it would come back, the key to so many rebounds after my first mistake was immediate vet attention after I noticed it coming back. It can be an expensive endeavor, Nikolai alone cost me almost $600.

Good luck, I hope your bunny does really well and fully recovers
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Molly is a whitish/grey bunny. The first thing we noticed was the pink under her nose was quite red. Then the sneezing started. I couldn't even tell that her nose was runny and she had no tearing. Unfortunately she wasn't taking to her meds right off (mostly because I wasn't administering them far enough back in her mouth). and she would hold it until it dribbled out. I felt so awful about that. She has been on baytril since Dec. 28 and has 10 more days on it. Her last check up showed it is still in her upper respiratory system and not gone into the lungs. Zookeeper...Was the nose abcess noticable to you or just by the vet? Will she be able to reunite with Lucky or would they have to stay separated? I hope all goes well and we can get rid of it. Zookeeper....sorry that your bunny didn't make it.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 06:01 PM

Do not feel bad about anything!!!!Bunnies are one of the hardest animals to get to take any thing that they don't want!!!!Hope your baby gets better keep us informed on your progress.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 06:15 PM

The vet assumed there was an abscess on the inside of the nasal passages, after the two nose flushes it came back (both flushes were followed by 2 weeks of baytril). There were no external signs of an abscess. To get Niki to take his medicine originally I sat with him on my lap and his bum to my stomach. I'd hold his head still with one hand and put the medicine in with the other. I followed this up with some yogurt treats or fruit drips, whatever the pet store had as treats. After 6 months on and off meds, he figured out that he would get a treat if getting the meds. Twice a day I'd approach the cage with a syringe in one hand, a treat in the other. I'd have him smell the treat, and when he opened his mouth to eat it, I'd put the syringe in. At the end of his life, he'd still come up to get his medicines. Best Rabbit Ever.

As soon as our second rabbit showed signs, (sneezing) we took him in, he was put on his own round of baytril, and nothing has happened ever since. The third rabbit came into our house when we thought Niki had beaten it. Niki started up again, Sarah sneezed once, and we put her on it without even asking whether or not it was actually pasturella. All three rabbits lived in the same room until the end of Niki's life. They lived in a large custom-built cage, each with their own area but they had at least one wall they could visit the other rabbits through. Tido took to cleaning Niki's face when Niki wasn't feeling well. They wouldn't get along outside of the cage, but through the bars passed an unbelievable amount of love.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Molly is beginning to show some of her playful traits again...even stretched out relaxed...trying to escape her cage. We haven't seen her do that in a long time. Our new batch of baytril was mixed with blueberry syrup and she seems to really like it...so far....She is not sneezing as often but you can still hear that she has snuffly sounds especially when she is cleaning herself. She has been such a good patient (except not swallowing her meds.) I can't possibly imagine having to do this with Lucky...keeping our fingers crossed that he never gets this.

Tags
pet store, vet care