Fat Harry - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Fat Harry

Harry's weight has become a very large problem. He was already...fluffy when we went away for vacation, but when we came back, Harry looked like a big fluffy peanut! Charlie is the perfect example of the perfect bunny, her body is pear-shaped. Harry is peanut-shaped. His tummy is almost as big as his back end. I have now stopped giving him any kind of commercial treats and rationed his pellets once again. This darn rabbit is just too lazy. Charlie will be bouncing off the walls in the run while Harry decides to take a leisurely nap...I really hope I don't have to take him to the vet anytime soon or I'll get a good scolding!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 06:53 PM

Red face

You could always get him a threadmill? On a serious note why dont you try and take him out for a walk using a harness? Tell me how you get on Natalie...
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

I would love taking him for a walk but he gets out of every harness I put him on. I have tried three different kinds and no matter how well I tighten everything, he still gets out. Once he almost got out outside, which was way too close for comfort! Could I get him a wheel? Do they make bunny wheels?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 10:16 PM

i have the same problem with Melody =/
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2005, 07:38 PM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millimi
I would love taking him for a walk but he gets out of every harness I put him on. I have tried three different kinds and no matter how well I tighten everything, he still gets out. Once he almost got out outside, which was way too close for comfort! Could I get him a wheel? Do they make bunny wheels?
I dont know if they do make bunny wheels Natalie, but can you imagine him running in one??
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2005, 09:47 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

I don't think they make rabbit wheels Natalie!!! My two girls have become extremely lazy over the last few months. I can not get them to exercise at all!! i let them out for a run around and they sit under their cages and thump until I put them back in. I've had to ration their food out so they don't get fat and I make them work for their veggies in their cage by putting them in hangers in their cage so they have to reach to get the food. Even Shadow's lick stone is in the hanger cause I caught her lying down, all stretched out, licking her lick stone (they were attached to the back of her cage with wire). Talk about a lazy butt!!! And she'd go through a lick stone a week like that so making things that they love higher at least has them stretching!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2005, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

That's a good idea, Harry will do anything for his veggies. Thanks Carmen!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 01:21 AM

I know my bunnies can smell veggies a mile away. Try holding some in your hand, run, and let him chase you. You can also put some veggies on a REALLY high surface he can almost - but not quite - reach. Let him jump for a while, then give them to him.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 09:13 PM

Maybe you should feed him less...I think being overweight is very bad, I've had 2 overweight bunnies die because of exhaustion or stomach problems.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-18-2005, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

If I feed Harry any less, he'd hardly be getting anything. He's a big rabbit without his weight problem, so I can't starve him.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-18-2005, 06:14 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

how is he going Natalie? Molly is out of her cage right now..first time in months that one of the rabbits has actually chosen to be out of their cage! I think keeping the food rationed while he is being a lazy butt is really the best you can do. I agree, you can't starve him. As long as he isn't still gaining!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-18-2005, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

Harry is still a huge blob of fat. He hardly gets any commercial treats now and actually binkies once in awhile when he's in the run. I know with winter coming he might have some "fluff" for extra insulation to keep him warm. He has stopped devouring his pellets and eats them a mouthful at a time. I'm keeping my eye on him just to make sure that isn't health related. Maybe he just realized this is his real home now and he'll always get food here.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-12-2006, 05:24 PM

put him on a hay diet and give him longer for play time. He should start to lose wieght soon though since you have stopped giving him treats and rationed his pellets.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 12:31 PM

I feed my two Burgess Supa Rabbit Exel and they do a "lite" version for 'the larger bunny'.

Check out their prducts if you haven't already at

www.burgesssupafeeds.co.uk

although im not sure if you would have difficulties getting it over the pond!!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 01:07 PM

My Creepy isn't overweight (he's still growing), but he eats so much and gobbles his food down as soon as I give it to him.

What I've started doing with him is he has a full basket of timothy hay (I usually have to refill it when I get home from work) all day, and I feed him a little less than a half a cup of pellets three times a day. This way, he can't eat his day's worth of food in 15 minutes, but he still has hay to munch on between meals so he doesn't go hungry. I don't believe it's a food-trust issue with him just because he usually starts the "bell ringing" in the morning if I'm running late with their breakfast.

Tags
timothy hay