Feeding - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2008, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Feeding

Hi

I have been feeding Henry his usual pellets, greens and timothy hay, but i have a few questions. Henry is just over a pound, so I give him just over a tbsp. of pellets per day, veggies, and unlimited timothy hay.

Am I feeding him the correct amount? I went to a vet that dealt with exotics/small animals so she seems to know rabbits pretty well and thats what she suggested, I just found some different stuff online.

Question two: Is timothy hay enough as far as hay goes? I've heard of other hays and grasses but dont know if I should get them or anything like that. I free feed him hay of course, and no alfalfa hays. He's a really healthy little guy i just want to make sure I'm doing this right because I'm a bunny N00b. Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

give your love no matter what.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2008, 02:13 PM
Super Moderator

If your vet is rabbit savy I would continue to feed the amount of pellets he/she recommends. Pellets really arn't that important in their diet as long as he's eating plenty of hay and his veggies.

I personally feed mixtures of diffrent types of grass hays. I always feed timothy, but I mix in either some oat, brome, or orchard grass with it (bermuda, meadow grass and blue grass are okay too).

I use to just feed timothy hay, but I did some research and read that diffrent types of hay can wear the teeth down diffrently, so it is beneficial to feed more than one type. Other than that, my rabbits seemed to really enjoy having diffrent types of hay to munch on instead of always the same type.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2008, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

thanks..can you get all of those at pet supply stores?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2008, 03:06 PM
zen
Newborn Pup

I just bought 4 types - oat, timothy, botanical - which looks like it has flowers in it, & orchard grass. They didn't have those at the local Giant Pet Mart but when I called around to specialty stores I found one. Wasn't expensive or anything, either.

One pound! I don't think I've ever SEEN a domesticated bunny that small, how cute that must be!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2008, 08:34 PM
Playful Pup

One pound?! Is Henry a baby or fully grown? That is one small bunny!

If he is under a year old, you should be feeding him alfalfa pellets and hay - this helps them as they grow into adult bunnies. You can also free feed the pellets. Once he hits one year old, switch to timothy hay and timothy based pellets. And all you need to give is 1/8 - 1/4 of a cup per day, per 5lb of bunny.

Here is a great link that shows a bunny food pyramid and other helpful info...

http://www.rabbitrescue.ca/Rabbit%20Info/nutrition.html
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

rabbit rescue is a great site! and specialty stores? I think i like in too much of a hillbilly town for those.. I can't find timothy pellets either! Theres one pet store that sells a variety of hays, but they sell pets there too so I don't want to get it from there. Sometimes I dont know about those vets... I posted something about some really crappy rabbit food I bought that had corn, nuts and seeds in it.. AND IT WAS MADE BY THE VET I TAKE MY RAT TO! AHH! I just dont trust anyone! Thats why im afraid to get henry neutered...oh and thats henry in my signature. He's about 4 or 5 months so he's still a leel baby but i dont think he'll get much bigger.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 08:19 AM
Playful Pup

Henry is FREAKIN' adorable!

I don't know where you live so I don't know where to recommend you shop - I believe Oxbow has stopped their online ordering but here is a locator to find their nearest retailer to where you live...

http://www.oxbowanimalhealth.com/contact/find_products

I've heard much success with American Pet Diner products as well. Here is a link to their pellets...

http://www.americanpetdiner.com/mm5/...y_Code=Rabbits

And if you live in Canada, my alltime fav is Martin Mills pellets. You can get them at any Pet Valu.

Henry is still young so he needs alfalfa pellets and hay.

That sucks about your vet making the crappy food - you should mention it to him, print off some info and let him read it.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator

I order Oxbow products online through other online rabbit supply stores, so there are places you can get it online still.

Also, I have heard that Oxbow, although they have stopped taking internet orders, will still take phone orders.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 10:33 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmalade View Post
rabbit rescue is a great site! and specialty stores? I think i like in too much of a hillbilly town for those.. I can't find timothy pellets either! Theres one pet store that sells a variety of hays, but they sell pets there too so I don't want to get it from there. Sometimes I dont know about those vets... I posted something about some really crappy rabbit food I bought that had corn, nuts and seeds in it.. AND IT WAS MADE BY THE VET I TAKE MY RAT TO! AHH! I just dont trust anyone! Thats why im afraid to get henry neutered...oh and thats henry in my signature. He's about 4 or 5 months so he's still a leel baby but i dont think he'll get much bigger.
Do you have a PetsMart around? They recently started stocking Oxbow products (as well as more kinds of hay) .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 11:13 PM
Super Moderator

Doctors Foster and Smith online is having a sale on Oxbow hay and pellets right now

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...?&pcatid=16618
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...?&pcatid=17281

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-09-2008, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

thanks for everything you guys

and a sale? I LOVE SALES woot

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 06:39 AM
Super Moderator

Haha me too! Esp. with the huge things of Oxbow hay...the 9lb box with 2 bunnies use to last me a couple of months (2 - 3) which is awesome, not having to worry about running out for months.