feeding question - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

feeding question

I just got in some new fosters, and I have no idea of how much to feed them because I never had small rabbits before. One is a netherland dwarf, two others are about 3 pounds, a little dutch and a mini/dwarf cross. How much do I feed them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 03:08 PM
Betta Bomb

Depends on their age. Generally an adult does not require more than a small handful of good quality pellets once a day supplemented by unlimited hay at all times and a rich vegetable salad once a day.
Here's a link, hope it helps!
http://search.atomz.com/search/?sp-a...0&sp-q=feeding
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 04:42 PM
is a little "special"

You usually want to feed them 1/4 cup of food per 5lbs of rabbit. So for those little guys, I would do somewhere between 1/8-1/4 cup of pellets. And of course, unlimited hay and daily veggies.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Thanks!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 05:55 AM
Rodentologist

There's some research suggesting that dwarves and smaller rabbits may need a bit more food, so I tend to be more liberal with pellets for them than for my bigger, pudgier guys.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 04:44 PM
is a little "special"

Really? Interesting, I didnt know that.
In that case, maybe start with 1/4 cap a day, and adjust it as needed depending on their activity levels and what not.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 01:48 PM
Adolescent Pup

i would suggest putting a food bowl in their for them and just filling it up when needed. They will eat when they are hungry and stop when they are full.

We strive to make the safest products out there with the best customer service at unbeatable prices.

Serving the Exotic pets since 2005

Dogs, Cats, Ferrets. Rabbits, Mice, Hamsters, Sugar Gliders, Chinchilla's and more!

4 Rabbits
- 3 Gliders
-6 Ratties

2 kitties
- 1 dog

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 01:50 PM
Rodentologist

LittleLadyBug, that's not a good idea. Rabbits will overeat of pellets, and it's quite common for it to cause obesity, and may contribute to GI stasis if they're eating pellets to the exclusion of hay.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 04:48 PM
Adolescent Pup

Thank you Jennicat for the info. I've never looked into it. I just never had a problem with my buns. Perhaps since I hardly ever have the same rabbit for over 2weeks. Most the times when rabbits come into our rescue they are skinny and need to fatten anyway. My own pet rabbit eats whenever he wants, has been this way for a year now, hes in great shape. I never gave it any thought.

Thank you for the information!

We strive to make the safest products out there with the best customer service at unbeatable prices.

Dogs, Cats, Ferrets. Rabbits, Mice, Hamsters, Sugar Gliders, Chinchilla's and more!

4 Rabbits
- 3 Gliders
-6 Ratties

2 kitties
- 1 dog

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 04:53 PM
Rodentologist

I volunteer with a rescue too, but we enforce quarantine on our rabbits for at least 4 weeks so we can make sure they don't have any incubating diseases.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 05:31 PM
Adolescent Pup

We only do this with females to insure non-pregnancy. We don't have a policy that requires us to quarantine them unless they look in bad health or if the person who sends the pet to us believes they may be in harm or at risk. Our rescue adopts small pets with the person whos adopting knowing the risks. I believe it should be another way, but we couldn't possibly hold on to that many buns at one time.

4 Rabbits
- 3 Gliders
-6 Ratties

2 kitties
- 1 dog

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 07:36 PM
Betta Bomb

Oh my bunny Akina came to me severely obese and unhealthy bc her owner kept pellets down at all times and kept her in a room with a rat cage in which the rats would fling ravioli and such out of the bars which Akina would also devour. I think all animal diets should be closely monitered regardless of background bc Ive seen enough Animal Cops where the emaciated animals can eat too much bc of their condition then get sicker bc their bodies cant handle all the food at once. I think it's nice, however, that you rescue.

Tags
rabbit food