Feelin Kinda Down... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Feelin Kinda Down...

*sigh* This whole thing with Smudges watering eyes is really getting me down...
They just wont stop, and I dont know what to do anymore!
After he got his spurs trimmed, it was alot better for a while. But then BOTH of them started watering again, full force. Before, at least one of them had stopped watering, but now I just feel like we are back to square one.

Im just glad that Smudge doesnt seem uncomfortable. He still races to greet me when I go in our room, begs for his Baytril (not kidding... he LOVES that stuff now), carefully monitors me every time I clean out his cage (God forbid I do it wrong) and doesn his "Happy Food Dance" every time he knows hes getting something nommy.

I just feel super aweful that we havent been able to figure out whats wrong with him. The Tri-something Sulfa meds he was on in case he had a URI cleared his eyes up for a few days, but thats as good as its gotten. After his spurs where trimmed, I was sure it would stop, and it looked SO much better for a few days, but now its just as bad as when it all started. Hes been on Baytril twice a day for a week, and he still has another week left. Yesterday I got some anti-bacterial oitment for his eyes (I forgot what its called), and he gets that twice a day for a week too, to hopefully flush his tearducts. If that doesnt work, he needs X-rays because he might have "overgrown" molar roots. I wish I could just do the X-rays now and get it over with... I just want to know for sure whats wrong with him!

The money is really adding up too, and my mom is NOT happy about it. It seems like we are always fighting about how much this is getting to be, and its not making me feel any better. Im paying for everything anyway, so I dont see why she would care.
Before this, Smudge never had a sick day in his life, and now I just cant seem to make him better.

Sorry for the rant... I just really need to talk to some one about this. And I really need a hug.

If anyone has any advice for me, I would appreciate it. I just want my baby to feel better again!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 10:34 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Wish there was something I could say to make you feel better. Just know Smudge will be in my prayers tonight.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 12:42 AM
Adolescent Pup

How frustrating! Could it be an allergy? Maybe a different dye or chemical in the litter box material? Even if there were no changes I know its possible for humans to develop allergies even to things we've been around a lot so I'd assume it was the same for animals. Or maybe some plant blooming this time of year?

As for the money part...I've spent more on these little critters in the few weeks I've had them than on my kids! Just when I think we have it all sorted out and properly arranged something else comes up!

Good luck, hope you find the anwers soon.

Last edited by 2babygirls; 08-06-2009 at 12:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 08:49 AM
Adolescent Pup

I second that it could be an allergy. Not sure how to test for that, though.

I know how you feel about the money thing. My mom always complains when I get my bun's teeth trimmed every second month, which costs about $80. But I'm the one paying for it, so I don't get what her problem is. Same with my cat. I have to pay for his vet bills too, and my parents both complain about how high they tend to get. Even the vet wasn't very supportive. She bluntly asked me once when my cat was diagnosed with diabetes "How much are you going to spend on an old cat?"!!! Needless to say, I was very offended. She's a vet yet! Of all people, she should understand the value of animal life.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 09:00 AM
Hello Earthling

I hope you AND Smudge feel better soon!!!

You mom is probably just concerned that your spending money that she think you should be saving for school or other things.

Feel better

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 10:31 AM

i hope you feel better soon.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Thanks everyone
I guess he could possibly have an allergy, but he has never been allergic to anything before. Im pretty sure its all dental related, but I might switch to Yesterdays News litter for a little while to see if it helps any.

Last night he did something that made me feel a little better: I was sitting on the ground with him and putting cream on his eyes, and the plastic tube container the vet put the tube of oitment in was on the ground by him... Well, he decided the label on it would be delicios, and he kept trying to bite it, but the tube kept rolling away from him! So he was hopping around my room, chasing this tube trying to bite it! It was really cute, and kinda ironic that he was playing with his meds.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 06:15 PM
Adolescent Pup

((Hugs))

Didn't you say when your friend was caring for Smudge while you were on your trip that he got better?

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Yeah, he did for a little while.

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 07:17 PM
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
Yeah, he did for a little while.
Oh, ok I thought it had completely disappeared while he was at her house.

post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 10:25 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Animals, like people, can develope allergies and become allergic to things that never bothered them before any time in life. Maybe you could ask your vet if Smudge can try an antihistimine. Allergy meds are pretty cheep, and if it works, you will have saved a lot of money. And if it doesn't work, you will be less skeptical about persueing teeth problems.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

OK. If this doesnt work, Ill ask about trying some antihistimines before I spend $100-something on x-rays.
We just got done painting in the room nest door too, so I think that might be causing a little extra watering :/
Thanks for the suggestion!

I do have some good news though!
So far today, niether of his eyes have watered I hope the Baytril and oitment are working... keep your fingers crossed!

post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 03:59 PM
Adolescent Pup

Keeping fingers and toes crossed!!

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 09:53 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

How is Smudge doing now? Teddy has just gotten over a case of sinusitis. The vet said it could have been cause from numerous things. He sneezes a lot but it doesn't seem like his eyes water. But like people I imagine every bun is different when it comes to allergies. Teddy has been approved to take childrens benadryl. It is not expensive. I got the dye free one just in case he didn't like it he would not turn pink. He loves it! It's bubblegum flavored. Oh and he is like Smudge and loves Baytril as well.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 10:40 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Hey Hon. Sorry I'm just now reading this--been out of town. I am sure you're doing everything you can do for Smudge. You continue to amaze me at how responsible and mature you are about your pets. I honestly don't know any 15 yr olds willing to spend their own time and money on pets like you do. I know it's upsetting when you can't make everything instantly better for them, but I'm sure Smudge knows you're trying. You have all our support! I hope you can get it figured out soon and it's a simple fix for you and Smudge.

Big hugs ((((((( ))))))))

Mandy

Happily owned by:
Baby--female calico kitty
Dale-- male black lab
Coco--male hamster
Rascal--male hamster
Mr. Squeakers--male guinea pig
Phineas--male guinea pig

RIP Patches. You were the sweetest hamster I've ever known. There will never be another like you.

RIP sweet little Bugsy. We didn't know you long, but we loved more than you could have known. Sleep sweet little one.

RIP little Sammy. Thanks for 2 and a half wonderful years! You had a long happy life and we miss you more than you know. Play hard, sweetie...

Tags
bunny, molars, rabbit, runny eyes