A few questions - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

A few questions

First up is Harry. He has gotten very fat in the last few weeks. I have noticed fat rolls above his back feet. I know rexes are very prone to obesity so I try not to feed Harry too much. He gets 1/3 cup of OxBow timothy pellets a day, unlimited orchard grass and timothy hay and veggies. He gets the occasional treats too but they aren't the fatty kind. He goes out into his run everyday, weather permitting, and he does run around quite a bit. What can I do to make Harry more "slender"?
One really interesting thing I have noticed about Charlie and Harry is that they have become inseperable. Whenever I take Harry out of his cage first and leave Charlie alone, she starts digging and biting at the bars between her and Harry's cages. She also does this when Harry is in his cage to call him. In the run, Harry has dug a hole under the fence separating him from Charlie. He has done this on numerous occasions and different places, but all connecting to Charlie's area, so maybe it's not a coincidence?
I am debating trying to put the two together again, in a new neutral area of course. I will also put them in each others' cages this week as people here have suggested.
One extremely interesting thing that I have found out is that Harry had a girlfriend before he came to the pound. I managed to track down one of his previous owners and she told me all about Harry's antics and friends. She said that Harry was the submissive one in that relationship. Charlie was the dominant one in her relationship with Caesar and now, Harry is trying to be dominant and Charlie is trying to be submissive. Maybe they just don't know what to do and that is why they are fighting?
Any tips and answers to my questions are welcome, and sorry for babbling on so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 01:07 PM

Hmmm, everyone I've asked doesn't seem to know the protein content of the Oxbow pellets that they feed. However, that's an important thing to know when your bunny is a little overweight! Most of the time, we don't have a problem when feeding 16% protein feed, but if we have an overweight animal, we try to get a bit of 12% feed (which is harder to find), and feed a more straw-like hay. This is like giving the bunny empty calories, so they're bound to lose weight.

I'm curious to know also, why they keep aiming for each other? Could it be that they're so used to being with each other (even if seperated) that they don't like to be without the other one?

I think it's a good idea to switch cages and see how they react to that before putting them together.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

Do you know what brand has 12% pellets available?
And I wish everyday I could just get inside Harry or Charlie's head and understand how they think. Tough love they have for each other.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 02:24 PM

No, I don't know of a brand that makes 12%.... at least not universally. Are there any feed stores (like farm animal feed stores) in your area? They might be able to tell you if any is milled in the area and where to get it...
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

I have to check about that one. I heard of one the other day in the area...Thanks!

Tags
timothy hay