Finally got the boys neutred - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 06:12 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy Finally got the boys neutred

I took the three boys to get fixed the other day.Hours away in Defense colony.(Eventually a vet who agreed to do it.) Unfortunately, Barney passed away on the op.table.Supposedly went into shock. He was the first under the knife and I bud c that the vet was shaken and expecting me to throw a tantrum...Even though I was feeling odd, I told him to go ahead with the others. Those ops went fine. Betty and Fred are back home and I take them everyday for the injections etc. It is weird with Barney not being there. His cage lies empty and even though part of me understands that this is just the way of life etc. I cant help but feel..I don’t know how to name I...it seems that there is some emptiness inside. I don’t know how to put it into words. I almost feel guilty for taking him there. When there, I also had to force him out of his cage etc...I think Betty<Fred and Wilma also think something is odd. Since Betty and Fred are cage bound at rpesent,Wilma spends her day just around and about the cage,lounging around etc.
Anyway, that is the latest on the clan.

Can anyone advise on any post op care to take etc. THe vet said
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 08:20 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Oh!
I am so sorry!
It's always so upsetting when stuff like that happens. But it does happen. It's very upsetting though.
-bigvirtualhug-
I hope you and your bunnies are OK.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 10:40 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Im so sorry. Is this common?? Bunnies passing on the operation table? I mean they are asleep how can they go into shock? just wondering
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator

I'm so sorry, that's sad.

Was the vet experienced with fixing bunnies? Usually if a bunny dies during surgery it's because something went wrong with the anethseia - they got to much or the wrong kind.

I'm glad the other 2 are ok though, I hope they have a speedy recovery.

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 10:39 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I'm so sorry ! *Hugs*

<3My "Fur" Kids<3
*Rascal, Avalanche: Doggy's*
~Dixon Chance: Cat~
<>Fortora Farms Grey Arrow: Mini Colt<>
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 05:47 AM

Very sorry to hear about Barney, Summer18, but pleased the others are OK. It's odd to come home to a house minus a pet. When my cat died, I kept talking to here when I woke up in the mornings and when I got home from work. It's take a while to get used to things.

Meggie QC, we've had our 5 bunnies fixed and they were all OK.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 06:11 AM Thread Starter

The vet wasn't very experienced in Bunnies at all. Infact being in India,it is difficut to find a vet able to look after bunnies. India is mainly a Dog & Cat country. Rabbits tend to be cute gifts for kids which are then left to mother nature.

Even in the capital Delhi,the pet shops selling the bunnies dont even have the proper food for them nor an references for vets.

I had to search thru almost 110 vets all over the country till I got this one in a government hospital mainly catering for stray dogs.

The bunnies had started become territorial and all the other signs associated with puberty and so it was reaching a point where I had to act fast.I have held off for a long time.

The situation now,is Betty(male...thats a long story) and Fred are now fixed and in one cage.Betty is the dominant one.Before he used to chase Fred and so red is still scared of him.Now in teh cage he doesnt chase him anymore, well only occassionally but that is when I am around and I guess it is to attract my attention.

How mny days shud I keep them caged before leting them out to mix with Wilma(female)!!
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 07:47 AM

Unhappy

sorry to hear about your loss. That is the problem with dealing with vets not familiar with rabbits. I asked my vet before I took my little girl to him if he was willing to read up or to conact a vet that was a rabbit vet. He agreed. When my little boy was fixed there wasn't another rabbit around so he had plenty of time to heal. You might want to go to rabbit.org and look to see how long they should have to heal. I know a girl is a week or so before they can be around others. Good luck
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 10:01 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoeH View Post
Meggie QC, we've had our 5 bunnies fixed and they were all OK.
Yeah I've got my two bunnies fixed and it was fine. I just don't know if they can go into shock while asleep, seems like something else might have happened.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 04:49 PM
Super Moderator

Aww yeah, it sounds like maybe the vet might have screwed something up (no offence) by accident if she/he didn't know a lot about buns. That's why people always make it a point to make sure the vet has experience with rabbits, but it doesn't sound like you really had that luxury.

How are the other two doing?

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 06:08 PM
can't think of one, help

I wouldn't necessarily blame the vet. Sometimes these things just happen, even to people. Anesthesia always has risks. Its sad but it does happen. Anyway I think that little boy bunnies can still get little girl bunnies pregnant for a while after they are neutered. I can't remember exactly how long you should wait. But the boy bunnies are probably sore and need to chill for a while anyway. Very sorry for your loss and glad the others are okay
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 06:48 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

You need to keep her separated for about 10 days or so. If it had just been the boys that were fixed than you would need to keep them apart at least 3 weeks. I have heard that boys can keep sperm for that long (and sometimes longer). But since she is fixed as well she should be fine within 10 days. I would still keep an eye on them to be sure there is no mounting from the males since their hormones will still be present. I would not think it would be good if they tried to, well - procreate her and were able to "enter" her at all.
I am so sorry about Barney. It is so sad but still you did the right thing. I just was given a full grown male that was not fixed. He could think of NOTHING else but trying to make baby bunnies.He tried with me - with my male cat. I thought it was cruel to keep him that way.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 07:12 PM

I am sorry. I thought Wilma was done as well. Becareful sperm can live in bunnies for sometime after they are neutered.
I think it's about 3 weeks. I will see if I can find the articles I was reading before Oliver was done.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 08:27 PM

I was wrong it's 6-8 weeks! See the link below.

Welcome to the Bunny Bunch S.P.C.R.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-18-2007, 03:34 AM

My vet told us to keep them separated for two weeks - which, reading other people's posts, seems a little conservative... Still, we had no unexpected baby bunnies (except for the ones that were conceived before Hopkins was neutered but born after he was fixed!)

Tags
baby bunnies, male cat, pet shop, pet shops