Fiona figured out how to get out of her cage... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Fiona figured out how to get out of her cage...

I was gone all day and when I came home a few hours ago I went in my bedroom...and was greeted by Fiona . I have no idea how but she managed to open the door of her cage and was probably out all day. Sakura, my oldest bunny, is completely free-range so she was of course out too...I'm sooo glad they didn't kill each other. I had been taking a break on the whole bonding thing until Fiona gets spayed but I'm considering trying again now. After all, they were together all day and didn't injure each other. There was fur on the floor so I know there must've been at least one fight but I didn't see any blood and neither rabbit has any cuts or anything. Sakura seemed a little annoyed but they were both fairly relaxed. It seems they were going in each other's cages, hehe.

I was worried I would find everything destroyed because I've never left Fiona out when no one's home before. After all, she is a baby! But she didn't chew apart anything...just knocked a couple things over. No accidents that I could find either accept a few stray droppings that could've been from either bunny.

I'm pretty proud of both of them for behaving . I hope they become good friends in the future.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 12:21 AM
RAT ADDICT

Haha...at least nothing bad happened while this happened.How are you going to keep her from getting out again?? How old is she anyway?

One of my rescue rats figured out how to get out of one of the cages and kept going to hang out with the boys (fortunatly she never got pregnant).This happened 2 nights in a row,before I had to change cages...never had a problem since!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Rat
Haha...at least nothing bad happened while this happened.How are you going to keep her from getting out again?? How old is she anyway?

One of my rescue rats figured out how to get out of one of the cages and kept going to hang out with the boys (fortunatly she never got pregnant).This happened 2 nights in a row,before I had to change cages...never had a problem since!
She's five months old . For now I just closed it super-tightly and so far she hasn't tried again...although she is asleep...

I'll probably use wire to hold the door shut when I'm not home. Once she's bonded to Sakura she'll have free-range of the house so then it won't be a problem .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-11-2006, 06:14 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

Oh good for them! It sounds like they have potential to be good friends. When will Fiona get fixed? I hope my two don't figure out to get out. I see Oliver trying to push on the cage door. I am not completely sure how to set up the the doors on the new cage!

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-11-2006, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathydip
Oh good for them! It sounds like they have potential to be good friends. When will Fiona get fixed? I hope my two don't figure out to get out. I see Oliver trying to push on the cage door. I am not completely sure how to set up the the doors on the new cage!
Fiona will probably get fixed late January. She'll be six months old in a few weeks but with the holidays it's a bit crazy right now!

Plus, I need to save up for a bit...spaying is sooo much more expensive then neutering. I hope one day they have low-cost services like with dogs!

~Stephanie

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-12-2006, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami
She's five months old . For now I just closed it super-tightly and so far she hasn't tried again...although she is asleep....
awww! how cute! the little one is probably all tired out from her big day!!!! i love bunnies... and yours are awesome for getting on so well all day! *yay*
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-12-2006, 10:41 PM

I'm glad that they got along so well =D

Off topic but do you plan on getting any additional rabbits?
I find them addicting I only have 2 atm.But theres a great chance in the near future (once I move) I will get more
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-12-2006, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyraver
I'm glad that they got along so well =D

Off topic but do you plan on getting any additional rabbits?
I find them addicting I only have 2 atm.But theres a great chance in the near future (once I move) I will get more
I find them addicted too but I don't plan on getting anymore for a while. Four rabbits is enough, I think!

~Stephanie

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami
I was gone all day and when I came home a few hours ago I went in my bedroom...and was greeted by Fiona . I have no idea how but she managed to open the door of her cage and was probably out all day. Sakura, my oldest bunny, is completely free-range so she was of course out too...I'm sooo glad they didn't kill each other. I had been taking a break on the whole bonding thing until Fiona gets spayed but I'm considering trying again now. After all, they were together all day and didn't injure each other. There was fur on the floor so I know there must've been at least one fight but I didn't see any blood and neither rabbit has any cuts or anything. Sakura seemed a little annoyed but they were both fairly relaxed. It seems they were going in each other's cages, hehe.

I was worried I would find everything destroyed because I've never left Fiona out when no one's home before. After all, she is a baby! But she didn't chew apart anything...just knocked a couple things over. No accidents that I could find either accept a few stray droppings that could've been from either bunny.

I'm pretty proud of both of them for behaving . I hope they become good friends in the future.
i didn't realize that you could or that people do leave buns out all the time. i thought they just let them out to play and then put them back. how do you keep them from chewing everything? do your dogs bother your bunny? are they litter trained then? sorry for all the questions i'm just curious and don't know anyone that owns bunnies.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara8
i didn't realize that you could or that people do leave buns out all the time. i thought they just let them out to play and then put them back. how do you keep them from chewing everything? do your dogs bother your bunny? are they litter trained then? sorry for all the questions i'm just curious and don't know anyone that owns bunnies.
Yup, many people have free-range or at least semi free-range house rabbits . With the boys I just let them out for several hours each day and take them on walks outside but Sakura is out all the time.

If rabbits have plenty of toys to play with and chew they generally aren't destructive. Of course it depends on the rabbit but I've never had any issues with chewing. Neither have my siblings with their bunnies. You shouldn't leave papers around, though, because many bunnies are paper shredders . Some rabbits chew wires but that's easily solved with wire covering.

Rocky, my dachshund, is actually aggressive towards the rabbits so they are kept seperate. When he's around (he spends most of the day outside because he loves the outdoors) the rabbits generally have to be confined to one area of the house. During this time they get their salads so they are happy anyways . My other dog is fine with bunnies, though.

Yup, my rabbits are litter-trained. It's actually fairly easy to do if the rabbits have been spayed/neutered. Right now I'm having some issues with marking because Fiona isn't spayed yet which is driving the boys crazy even though they're neutered .

~Stephanie

Last edited by Sasami; 12-13-2006 at 01:28 PM.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2006, 10:23 AM

Charlie is free range in the living room/kitchen (although he won't go in the kitchen very often because he hates slick floors), and the other buns have free range of our spare bedroom (which is their room) when I'm home and get put up at night. A few days out of the week Jason lets them out at 2:00 before he goes to work, as well as on the weekends, and we've been able to let all three (Daisy, Creepie, & Rocko) out together with no problems and can let them play together unsupervised. They go in and out of each other's cages with nobody rustling any feathers, and they take naps in the middle of the floor in one big bunny ball. It would make it easier if Charlie could learn to get along with everybody else, but he's just too set in his ways.

I haven't had any problems with chewing or digging either and all our cords are pulled up out of reach. Charlie is very good around the Christmas tree as well. He likes to stand up and look at, but he has yet to even touch it - but he does have fun jumping on top of presents that are boxes. I've found that older buns are generally better behaved. Rocko gets compared to Charlie on a daily basis.

Buns are like any other pet, they just need the right training.

Last edited by jewels; 12-15-2006 at 10:26 AM.

Tags
house rabbit, house rabbits, litter train, litter trained