First Time Bunny Owner - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Red face First Time Bunny Owner

Hi! I'm a first time bunny owner and recently adopted two 6-8 week old Netherland Dwarf Bunnies. I had a couple questions about the right age to fix and I'm wondering about other people who have adopted two from the same litter. Since they are relatively young I know that it will be a couple months before they go in to get fixed. I have read anywhere between 3 months to past 6 months for females but I'm not sure what the right age is. I need to know so I can have the funds available. I'm also wondering about keeping them together. They are grooming each other now and quite obviously need the reassurances from each other but will I be able to keep them together until they are fixed. Obviously if they are 2 different genders I'll be separating them but I don't want to have to worry that they are going to hurt each other if I keep them together. This has been bothering me quite a bit. I want to make sure they remain bonded. They seem perfectly happy and even come up to the cats for a little grooming. Thanks for the help. If I know what to expect, I'll be prepared!

Have a hoppy day!
Danielle

~Proud Momma of Astor and Eisley~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 06:35 PM
Poooooppp!

I'm not sure about the bonding, what gender are they? I think they should be okay, and as far as the spay/neuter, I believe males is 4months and females is 6months, but I would personally find a vet that is willing to do it as soon as they are reproductively mature. I have a bonded pair (famale & male), although Simon (male) was adopted from the rescue and he was already fixed, I did get Speckle fixed at 3months, I went to vets that said 6months and some said 2lbs, but I went to one vet that was recommended by the rescue and she just looked at her and said she could do it that same day, the sooner the better! Congrats on the buns and I'd love to see pics!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thanks!

Thanks. I have no idea what gender they are. Their foster mother said they were girls but she didn't sound positive to me and told me I should see a vet around 3 months.They are from the same litter so they are already bonded, but I really want to keep that bond going. I've added pictures. Their names are Eisley and Astor. Eisley has a little heart shaped mark on her shoulder.
As soon as I figure out the whole picture thing I'll post it here. Thanks.

Tags
baby bunny questions, new adoption