Flash can tell time! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 01:43 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Flash can tell time!

I made a startling discovery tonight. Flash can tell time!

Ok, not completely, but he knows that when his play time is over at night, he gets a carrot as a treat to lure him into his cage for bed time. And I just tonight noticed that he seems to start actively begging for the carrot at right around 11 PM every evening. I've actually noticed him starting to beg around that time a few times recently, but I didn't realize the pattern was so exact until tonight.

Somehow, he knows when it's 11 PM. I'm fairly certain I've never seen him beg before that time.

The oddest part is that my schedule isn't that consistent. It's not like carrot time is the same time every night, and it's usually not that early. Since I usually stay up until midnight or later, his 11 o'clock begging is actually about an hour earlier than he ever actually gets the carrot.

I just think it's weird that he's so consistent and knows to start begging at the same time every night, despite varying meal and sleeping times due to my inconsistent schedule.

--Fromper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 01:58 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

our dog knows when my mom should come home from work and it changes on the day he knows on tuesday she comes home 1/2 hour before monday and wed-thurs and he knows on friday that its at 12

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 09:06 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah, I think I've mentioned before that Barnaby seems to be able to tell time as well. He always gets his dinner at the same time each night, and if I'm even a little late giving it to him he starts getting upset.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 10:20 AM
Dinky Gerbilelbow

Bless isn't it funny how animals pick up these things and we dont even always realise!! xx

*Carla*
I
my animals!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonrain View Post
Yeah, I think I've mentioned before that Barnaby seems to be able to tell time as well. He always gets his dinner at the same time each night, and if I'm even a little late giving it to him he starts getting upset.
That's the weird part - Flash doesn't get fed at the same time every night. He gets his dinner when I eat mine, which can be anywhere from 5-9 pm, depending on what else is happening that day. And he gets his nightly carrot when I go to bed and lock him in his cage for the night, which varies by an hour or two, depending on the night. Yet somehow, he's started begging for that carrot right at 11 pm every night.

--Fromper
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 10:33 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

Frank always knows when it's greenie time. But it was always the same time every night.
Sometimes I think they can read my mind - it may sound crazy but I can think that I am going to put Frank and Belle in their kennels and Frank just gets up and runs into his.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 07:10 AM
Super Moderator

Psychic bunnies! That's how they always know exactly where the one uncovered wire in the house is!

Barnaby does the same thing as Frank, only instead of running into his carrier he runs the other way and starts thumping his feet!

But yeah, I do think that a lot of animals can 'tell time'.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Flash doesn't think in terms of it being time to go into his cage. He thinks in terms of treat time, and he knows that he only gets treats in his cage. So when he wants me to get him a treat, he runs to the edge of the kitchen, hinting that I should go in the fridge and pull out the carrots. I'm sure if the kitchen were carpeted, he'd go in, but he hates walking on the slippery tile. After I wave a carrot in front of his face to let him know that it really is time for it, that's when he runs for the cage and pokes his nose between the bars looking out at me, waiting for me to pass the carrot through the bars to him.

--Fromper
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 05:11 PM
is a little "special"

LOL! Bunnies are phycics in a cute fuzzie package xD
LOL, Smudge always knows whenIm going to feed him... When I go to his hutch/cage during the day when Im going to take him out, he just sits in the back and stares at me like "What do you want...?" .But if I go out during the time I feed him, he always hops to the door and nearly jumps out hes so excited! He always knows if Im making his dinner too... He follows me down the stairs and stalks me if he knows I have food.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 05:43 PM
Betta Bomb

EEEEEEK arent they just too cute?!?! Wait, if they can tel time,imagine how many thoughts they can read??

My girls know when its supper time when i bring in the fridge cold plates to warm up in the room and Acacia, finicky bugger will act as if she loves me(only part of the day usually) and will binky around her pen,dance around my feet and stand on tippy toes to make sure i can see her.She gets a yogurt treat every night before i lay the dish down anyway so maybe this is why, Akina doesnt since she's still a little tubby but she acts the same any time i enter the room hoping i have food even if i dont i talk too much
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 07:05 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

purple hops - that is so funny. Ophelia does not want me to touch her at all. Not even to pet. She is not interested in my existence until it's salad time. Then she binkies, tossing her little head and hopping around like she is thrilled to see me - but it's not me she happy to see - it's the salad!
At least Penelope and Teddy actually like me.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2008, 01:57 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Flash really nailed the time tonight.

I was watching TV, and I actually saw my clock change over from 10:59 to 11:00 PM just as Flash ran to the entrance to the kitchen. Usually he only runs over there to beg when he sees me go in there and thinks I might be getting a carrot from the fridge. This time, he beat me to it, and it was EXACTLY 11 PM. His timing isn't usually THAT perfect. I almost fell over from laughing so hard.

--Fromper
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 03:11 PM
Betta Bomb

thats because he saw what you typed in this thread and had to show off his mad skills.

Tags
bunny, rabbit