Flash's first vet visit - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Flash's first vet visit

I finally found something Flash hates more than being picked up - riding in the car. This kind of surprised me, given how laid back he normally is. I put him in the carrier with a towel, some hay, and a couple of little pieces of carrot, which is usually a good treat that cheers him up. He's had access to the carrier for a couple of days, and he goes in it to play, so he was already used to that. He just didn't like it when I picked it up, put him in the car, and started driving. He didn't even eat the little bit of carrot in the carrier.

So they weighed him at the vet's office, and it turns out he's smaller than I thought. Based on how big my sister's 8 lb bunnies were, I was guesstimating Flash at around 4 lbs, but it turns out he's only 2 lbs, 4 oz. He looks bigger, though, because he's long and skinny. But this means it's definitely time to cut down on the pellet consumption, and I think I should cut back a little on the fresh veggies, too. I was definitely spoiling him.

The vet thinks he's a young guy, probably only 4-5 months old and still growing. She said she wants to wait a month or two to neuter him, to give him more time to develop, even though it could be done now. But he's completely healthy - they even checked his poops to make sure he didn't have any parasites, and everything came back clean. Or as clean as poop can be, anyway.

Then came the ride home, when he just sort of braced himself in the carrier and didn't move again. When we got home, I put the carrier down and opened the doors (side and top), and he just sat there for a few minutes. Eventually, he started munching on the hay in the carrier, then wandered out to his litter box, and he seemed happier again. Given that the negative reaction lasted a few minutes after we got home, I'm wondering if maybe he got motion sickness from the car ride. I've never seen him react negatively to anything before, other than being picked up, but that's usually just a momentary panic until I put him back down.

--Fromper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 11:56 AM
Playful Pup

My bunny had the same reaction to the carrier, but I just assumed it was because he was so big he didn't have much space to move around.

Glad Flash checked out ok. 2 lbs seems SO tiny to me.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

He likes the carrier when it's just sitting on the floor in my apartment. He goes in and out playing with it. It's just when I closed the door and picked it up that he freaked out.

And that 2.25 lbs really surprised me, too. He doesn't look THAT small.

--Fromper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 03:01 PM
Will It Ever Change?

glad he passed the vet check!

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 07:03 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

I don't think any of my buns like the car. They pretty much huddle in the back of the carrier and sulk.
Tabby did get used to the car but that is because she was there so much. I used cheerios to cheer her up in the car.
It's wonderful that he checked out well.

Why are you saying to cut back? Is that what the vet told you to do?
2 pounds is tiny and I thought when they were babies they should be fed more than adults. My vet did tell me to stop giving them alphalfa based pellets and alphalfa hay once they were spayed and neutered. I think my guys were about 4-5 months when they were done. I thought my vet was being too tough on them declaring them adults at such a tender young age!

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

The vet wants me to cut back on the pellets a lot and the greens a little, because he isn't eating enough hay. I should give him appropriate amounts of pellets instead of unlimited, and slightly less greens (though not much less) than what I was giving him. That way, he won't fill up on those things so much, and he'll eat more hay.

--Fromper
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 10:44 PM
Part of the Pack

I'm glad everything checked out well with the vet!!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 09:20 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Yeah, At a certain age you have to cut back on the pellets. Unlimited pellets is when they are babies.

Can you post some pics of Flash?

Dr. Kelleher is great, she knows what she's doing!!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator

I'm glad his first vet visit went well

Zeus and Barnaby don't mind the car, they just sleep during car trips. They've had plenty of time to get use to it, though, considering that I've taken them to Jersey (a 6ish hour drive) and back with me a few times.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 05:00 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

Oh so you have to cut back to get him to eat more hay. That makes sense. I have heard that bunnies will go for pellets over hay a lot of times.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny

Tags
litter box, vet visit