Flash's new toy (weird, but true) - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Flash's new toy (weird, but true)

This weekend, I bought a new toy for Flash. I got him a 2x4, and he loves it!

It was 8 feet long, but I had the store cut it down to a 6 foot piece and 2 foot long pieces, and I made sure it was a type of wood that's safe for rabbits to chew.

I put the long piece along the edge of a wall where he kept trying to dig up the edge of the carpet. One of the smaller pieces is under my end table in the living room, where he used to try and chew on a corner. The other one is against a wall, but I'm thinking of putting it in his cage, so he can chew on it during the day when he's home alone.

He definitely likes big, solid chew toys, where just moving them is a project for him, rather than tiny blocks of wood. So these bigger pieces that he can chew on without tossing them around are perfect for him. Best $2.60 I've spent on bunny supplies since he's been with me.

--Fromper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 12:55 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

heheehe
Glad Flash loves his new toy!

Lve Never Fails

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator

I'm glad he likes it! Lol I'd love to see my little 2.5lb Barnaby try to move a 2X4, I'm sure he wouldn't get far. Barnaby actually likes small blocks of wood cut into interesting shapes. He likes throwing them against things, making towers with them, and trying to see what weird spots he can jam them into (like between the cage bars, or inside other toys...). If they're just cut into squares or some simple shape he doesn't play with them, but if they're weird shapes or have notches and stuff in them he loves 'em!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Flash doesn't like smaller blocks. For that matter, he doesn't like any toy he can move. Give him a cardboard box, and he'll pick it up by the edge and move it out of his way. But if I weigh it down so he can't move it, it becomes a project for him to spend hours tearing it apart to move it. That's why he drives me nuts chewing on walls, carpet, and furniture, and I needed to get him some big toys like this to chew on instead.

--Fromper
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 08:11 PM
Super Moderator

It's so interesting hearing about diffrent bunnies likes/dislikes - they all have their own personality

Barnaby LOVES all toys pretty much, he'd take a new toy over a treat any day. He likes small things mostly that he can pick up and throw, and things he can carry around with him. He looves boxes, but enjoys being able to move them around exactly how he wants them - and of course he chews on them too. I think moving boxes is more of a challange for him though because he's so small, it takes him forever to get the box to exactly where he wants it lol.

Anyways I'm glad you found some things to keep Flash busy for awhile!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

That's pretty funny. Sounds like Barnaby's exactly the opposite of Flash. Flash will take a carrot over a toy any time. And like I said, he gets bored with things he can move. He just moves them out of his way and looks for something stationary to chew on, because that's more challenging. From the sounds of it, I think Flash is about the same size as Barnaby, so he can't move any really big stuff, either, but he still moves shoe boxes easily if there's nothing in them to weight them down.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 03:11 PM
Playful Pup

Haha Nino is kind of like Flash too. She would easily take a treat over a toy anyday and isn't really interested in toys much. The only things she's interested with are... well she doens't really play with anything :/
All she likes to do is sit in the corner and lick her left paw over and over (her favorite thing to do). Oh and the occasional "bother Jasper until he attacks you" game
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Flash will take a carrot over a toy any time.
Lol Barnaby doesn't even like carrots - he completly ignores them when I give them to him. The only treats he likes are papia tablets and craisens, and some fruits, but even then he could take or leave them. Offer him a toy though, and he'll go nuts. He likes playing fetch with some of them too, it's funny.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrely View Post
Haha Nino is kind of like Flash too. She would easily take a treat over a toy anyday and isn't really interested in toys much. The only things she's interested with are... well she doens't really play with anything :/
All she likes to do is sit in the corner and lick her left paw over and over (her favorite thing to do). Oh and the occasional "bother Jasper until he attacks you" game
Oh, Flash likes playing. He just likes treats more. But he loves to play, just more along the lines of digging and chewing than the types of stuff Barnaby does.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 07:34 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

My buns will tear through their pieces of lettuce to look for raisins, bananas or what ever that nights treat might be. They love their "sweets".
I used pieces of wood Jay had as scrap to try and block something from Oliver and Ophelia. Ollie, like Flash, loves the wood. His pieces are not that long. Maybe 12 inches or so. Ollie loves to pick it up and drop it on the floor so it bangs.
Teddy would chew on his baby gate so I put a bunch of toys on it. He likes to gnaw on the wood pieces - because they don't move around on him. He also loves to rip up the dog fancy and family circle magazines I had kept in his room. Oh and he also shredded some catalogs I had gathered for work when I was in the UK. I guess I really don't need them for reference.
Penelope will play with the little blocks of wood, cardboard boxes, telephone books. I love to go in her room and push things against the wall to watch her go over and push them back out so she can get behind them. It's so cute.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny

Tags
rabbit wood