flemish giant breeding - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2007, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

flemish giant breeding

Yesterday when I tried breeding my flemish giants the female kept on kicking the male off of her about 5-10 seconds after he would mount her. My question is if she can get pregnant within 10 seconds? Something tells me she isnt going to be pregnant and unfortunately I have to wait a month before I will know for sure or not and so I was just wondering if anyone has had this happen before and still get success from their female?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2007, 05:04 PM

Hi sam i just have a couple of questions
1. What type of encloser are you using.
2. Are is the female going into the males encloser or the other way round.
3. Did the bunnies interact as young kittens.

all these things could affect the breeding of the pair. I dont know a hole heap about breeding but my aunt is a registed breeder and ive learned some things from her.

hope that could help.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2007, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. Their enclosures are 2 1/2 X 4 foot, the rabbits are 9 1/2 months old (and have never been bred). I am putting female to male as instructed. I do not know if they interacted as littermates or not. I have two females and one male. Yesterday I tried breeding my larger female and she kept on kicking the male off her about 5 to 8 seconds into it. I did smell something musty so she could possibly be pregnant. Today I bred my other female to the male and didnt get any problems out of her at all. I noticed it didnt take long for the mmale to finish, so maybe the other female was kicking him off right when he was done?? This is my first time breeding rabbits so any info is appreciated. I have done my homework but of course there are always the unexpected things.

ps- I am re-introducing the females to males after 1-2 hours. I know articles say 6-8 but I talked to a very large breeder of flemishes and he said he gets better success doing it in 1-2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2007, 08:54 PM
RAT ADDICT

I can't help,as I know nothing about rabbit breeding...but I LOVE flemish giants and wondered if you have some pictures?

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-14-2007, 03:06 AM

10 seconds is enough to get a female pregnant.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-14-2007, 03:13 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I don't know anything about breeding, but I have often seen much information about it posted and questions answered at: www.rabbitweb.net
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-14-2007, 06:44 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

My vet told me that ten seconds is enough for a rabbit to become pregnant (I had a pregnancy scare with Sakura but it ended up being a false pregnancy).

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-15-2007, 11:16 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

My rabbits mated for ten seconds several times before they were spayed/neutered, and like Sasami's rabbit, ended with a false pregnancy. I have read that you will know if the act has been completed if the male falls off of the female.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-20-2007, 06:55 AM
The Title Fairy Was Here

10 seconds is defo long enough for the males to do there thing i've bred my rabbits a few times, i have stopped breeding now due to all the rabbits in shelters, the female kicking them off is a way of knowing that they have done and u can take the female away from the male

Come see more of my fur babies at
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 03:59 PM

I'm new and need help!

I don't want to be rude so I will start with a big HELLO.

I am new to breeding Flemish Giants. I put the doe in the bucks cage. Within a quick bit he was done and rolled off...no problem. So I thought I would let it go again.

This time when he fell to his side she let out a cry. Scared the dickens out of me! I put her back in her cage and came in here to try to find out what happened.

Is this normal or do I need a trip to the vet?
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 07:40 PM

10 seconds my wife would be envious.

Tags
flemish giant, flemish giants