Flemish Giants - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Flemish Giants

We are not new to raising bunnies but newly to raising flemish giants! We just rescued to flemish giants from a family that was not taking well care of them They are already doing much better they were so scared that they wouldt move. Now when we bring them in the house they jump all over. One of them is losing hair and looks as if they have very very dry skin. Does anyone know what you can do for this? They are just barely a year old.
Also any name ideas? I want to give them cute names and Im a little picky with the animals i pick myself so i want the name to fit but i cant come up with anything :S
Attached Images
File Type: jpg flemish.jpg (65.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg flem2.jpg (68.9 KB, 5 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 12:50 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

what about greyson as a name ? are they boys or girls ? could it be he has mites ? and thats why hes loosing a lot of fur with the dry skin?

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

oh sorry they are both girls..we are getting a boy as well to breed them my husband already has the black one named it will be goliath haha...mites that could be. Ive just never had this problem with any of our bunnies previously but like i said it was a rescue from another family that couldnt care for them so i dont know the exact condition. I will check into that thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 04:57 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Just a curious question why breed them ? you dont know there background where there orginally from, there already terrified as you said they were rescues from a family that couldnt take care of them,,,, you dont know there genetic background, where they petshop rabbits before that or where they from a breeder where the parents healthy ect ect, there is also the fact that soooo many rabbits need good homes right now. and it is much healther for them to be spayed as it can prevent cancers and other sicknesses.

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 05:57 PM
Adolescent Pup

I agree with nibbler. Though i have been tempted SOOOO many times to breed my Flemish, it's just not in anyones best interest.

1. Most people do not have a clue on how to raise larger rabbits like this. Plan to adopt your baby Flemish rabbits to someone who will enjoy the sight of this large bun for a week or two, then plop it right into a small cage purchased for smaller sized rabbits from petsmart or something.
2. You do not know the history....this is concern #1....so many kinds of things could be genetically wrong. Inbred, cancer, diseases, etc
3. These poor babies are already stressed and now the female will be going through hormonal changes with a pregnancy, expect some babies to die if not still born-- as the mother will not be in her right mind to care properly for her babies.

Goodluck.

We strive to make the safest products out there with the best customer service at unbeatable prices.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Serving the Exotic pets since 2005
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Dogs, Cats, Ferrets. Rabbits, Mice, Hamsters, Sugar Gliders, Chinchilla's and more!

4 Rabbits
- 3 Gliders
-6 Ratties

2 kitties
- 1 dog

Tags
bunnies, flemish giants, rabbits